Worst SWFC Player of the past 10 years (Owlstalk Ratings)

11 hours ago, TomtheOwl95 said:

I'm not sure, he wasn't great, but he at least contributed in a good team and helped us get points when needed.

The likes of Abdi and co who cost a lot more and ultimately did little to nothing are much higher on the list for me.

Abdi is certainly a bigger waste of money that is for sure.

There has to be more to his story than we will ever know. But that doesn't help us with all the money the club lost on him.

8 hours ago, Leaping Lannys Perm said:

Abdi is certainly a bigger waste of money that is for sure.

There has to be more to his story than we will ever know. But that doesn't help us with all the money the club lost on him.

I'm sure there is more to it, we'll only ever get so much of what goes on.

So, a slight c0ck-up with the Worst 10 Owlstalk Rankings. I discovered there was a player missing from the list, and when I crunched the numbers, he was in there at number 6.

What this means is Aiden McGeady is out of the top 10, dropping 1 to number 11. George Boyd slides a place to number 10 and Jordan Rhodes can finally make the number 9 spot his own.

To catch up, I will try and post number 8 (a real classic dreadful Wednesday player) and number 7 (one of our many loan flops) over the weekend.

• Like 2

The thing about bad players, is usually if they are really, really bad they don’t get to play many games. A couple of games in an injury crisis, or a stint in the team in August before they get found out.

Joey Pelupessy played 119 games for Sheffield Wednesday.

It is hard to think of another player who was so bad, so often. In a perverse way, it is quite an achievement to have lasted so long.

The one and only permanent signing made by Jos Luhukay, he was plucked from the Dutch first division in January 2018. And, at first, he wasn’t completely bad. A solid first game at Middlesbrough helped us to a 0-0 draw. In his fifth game, he opened his scoring account, chesting down a high ball, skinning the defender and launching a long range shot inside the far post (no really, it happened, and it is a cracking goal).

We thought we might have picked up a useful squad player with the potential to grow into the English game. He finished the season with a respectable Owlstalk average rating of 6.14, slightly above the team average of 6.12.

It was the 18-19 season where things started to go rapidly downhill. With Jos Luhukay deciding to freeze out Sam Hutchinson in favour of his Dutch midfield maestro, Wednesday soon nose-dived towards the relegation zone.

Blessed with a strong physique and good engine. Pelupessy could often be seen haring around midfield from slightly the wrong position to another slightly ineffective position. He made less tackles and interceptions per game than Hutchinson and when passed the ball, he could be relied upon to safely pass it sideways to someone in a worse position.

Things reached a nadir in the 2019/20 season, where he managed the impressive feat of being ranked over a full point below his average teammate, something even Jordan Rhodes ever achieved. You could be guaranteed a low grumbling would emerge from the ground every time his name was read out on the teamsheet.

He truly was the void in the centre of the park. Never offering for the ball, rarely receiving the ball. For example, that season, Hutchinson, from centre midfield would play 44 passes per 90 minutes whereas Pelupessy would play 29. In 17 league games, Pelupessy made just two key passes from open play (whereas from our alternatives Hutchinson made 11 in 23 games, for Luongo it was 14 in 27).

In 16 starts that season, Owlstalk ranked him our worst player 5 times and he was subbed off before the end 7 times. For the 11 league games he started, Wednesday won only 1 of them.

So obviously with finances tight and Wednesday under FFP pressures, the obvious choice was to let Pelupessy go. No, not if you’re Garry Monk. Instead you release Kieran Lee and Sam Hutchinson, and sign Pelupessy up for another glorious year.

To be fair, by his own low standards, 2020-21 was better. Perhaps now the team tactics had been changed so everyone was aimless rushing about, Pelupessy felt more at home. His Owlstalk rating was 5.76 that season, only 0.25 behind his teammates as Wednesday finally achieved the relegation that Pelupessy's perfromances had long threatened.

So, with 119 appearances, 1 solitary goal, 1 Man of the Match award and a staggering 20 times rated the worst player, welcome to the hall of shame, Joey Pelupessy.

1268242954_Screenshot2022-06-18at13_11_42.png.8475209eafcb107ff53aae8216995861.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Emerson Thome said:

It is hard to think of another player who was so bad, so often. In a perverse way, it is quite an achievement to have lasted so long.

*Tin hat firmly on here*

Or, maybe...maybe he actually wasn't quite as bad as the fans made him out to be.

I'm not saying he was good or anything like that but he had a lot of games where he was neither good nor bad but when you join a club on the decline that tends to stand out especially when you're put in in place of a fans favourite (not that Joey and Sam Hutchinson are that similar players in my opinion).

Again, tin hat firmly on and I get this thread is based on literal face of how fans voted, which is more than fair enough.

• Like 2

A player who started quite well, but just wen downhill.  I watched him plenty of times , and he would sometimes avoid getting into a position to receive a pass.  I suspect there were dressing room issues at times in our decline in the championship, and he was one who suffered in confidence.  He was playing but not really playing .  He was running but knowingly in a way where he could hide a bit and let Bannan get the ball.  I have done it a few times in matches myself where I couldn’t get into the game at all.  

On 12/06/2022 at 21:46, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

How many other fanbases honestly rank their record signing among their 10 worst players of the past decade?

This club, man...

:duntmatter:

Yeh but you probably were one of those who wanted him, I remember getting vilified on here for being a very small minority who called this financial suicide. 

59 minutes ago, DuttyTeabags said:

Yeh but you probably were one of those who wanted him, I remember getting vilified on here for being a very small minority who called this financial suicide. 

I didn't really see why we need him when we already had Hooper, and seem to remember a few on here getting quite annoyed with me for asking what he offered that we didn't already have.

On 27/11/2016 at 19:53, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

This is a genuine question, as I've only really seen Jordan Rhodes when he's played against us: is he better than Gary Hooper? And if so, what makes him a better player?

As far as I'm aware, they're both 'finishers' rather than the type of forwards who offer much more to a team such as creativity, hold-up play etc. If that's the case, then Hooper has proven to be the more deadly striker at this level...

As I say, however, I might be doing Rhodes a massive disservice. Where would people see him slotting into our team?

On 13/03/2016 at 11:11, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Hooper's goals per minute ratios in his last three seasons at Championship level:

146' - this season with us

122' - last season with Norwich

144' - 09/10 season with Scunthorpe

Rhodes' goals per minute ratios in his last three seasons at Championship level:

287' - this season with Blackburn and Middlesbrough

167' - last season with Blackburn

161' - 13/14 season with Blackburn

They're both excellent strikers, but the £6m price difference looks a bit odd, doesn't it?

Once he signed, I tried to be as positive as possible about it, and hoped that Chansiri had a plan to somehow balance the books, as he reassured us he had.

No such luck, eh?

Some players are born shït, some are destined for shïtness, and others have shïtness thrust upon them.

I would argue that Mide Shodipo is unfortunate to be in this list. He only narrowly meets the criteria of making 10 starts, relying on a couple of Papa Johns appearances to make the cut. And he never had either a solid run of games or a chance to play in his preferred position.

Considered one of our more exciting pre-season signings off the back of 11 goals for Oxford the previous season, he never threatened the same haul in Wednesday colours.

Signed as a left winger, he missed the first 5 league games of the season when we played with a 4-3-3 through injury and then soon afterwards we changed to a 3-5-2. So most of his games were putting in a shift at left wing-back.

Only twice given the full 90 minutes, he was just starting to emerge as a decent player – scoring against Wycombe and being part of the defence that ground out a 0-0 with ten men at Portsmouth when injury struck and almost ended his season.

He was never voted the worst player in any of his appearances and even claimed a man of the match against Shrewsbury (when his goal was wrongly chalked off for offside).

But what we definitely can say is the team was much worse when Shodipo was in it. In the 12 games where he played at least a third of the match, the team's average player rated at 5.79 according to Owlstalk. For the 43 games where he didn’t play or only made a cameo they averaged 6.62.

That is borne out be the results: For the 8 league games he played at least a third, we didn’t win any, drew 6 and lost 2, collecting 0.75 points per game. For the 38 league games he didn’t play we won 2.03 points per game – title-winning form.

Was this down to Shodipo making the team worse, or was he just unlucky to be picked in the games before we had formed a cohesive unit? Maybe we will never know. So, sadly, welcome to our shït list, Mide Shodipo.

1167622673_Screenshot2022-06-21at18_38_59.png.4b3d388f22e5629e4651f5acfac46354.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Emerson Thome said:

Some players are born shït, some are destined for shïtness, and others have shïtness thrust upon them.

I would argue that Mide Shodipo is unfortunate to be in this list. He only narrowly meets the criteria of making 10 starts, relying on a couple of Papa Johns appearances to make the cut. And he never had either a solid run of games or a chance to play in his preferred position.

Considered one of our more exciting pre-season signings off the back of 11 goals for Oxford the previous season, he never threatened the same haul in Wednesday colours.

Signed as a left winger, he missed the first 5 league games of the season when we played with a 4-3-3 through injury and then soon afterwards we changed to a 3-5-2. So most of his games were putting in a shift at left wing-back.

Only twice given the full 90 minutes, he was just starting to emerge as a decent player – scoring against Wycombe and being part of the defence that ground out a 0-0 with ten men at Portsmouth when injury struck and almost ended his season.

He was never voted the worst player in any of his appearances and even claimed a man of the match against Shrewsbury (when his goal was wrongly chalked off for offside).

But what we definitely can say is the team was much worse when Shodipo was in it. In the 12 games where he played at least a third of the match, the team's average player rated at 5.79 according to Owlstalk. For the 43 games where he didn’t play or only made a cameo they averaged 6.62.

That is borne out be the results: For the 8 league games he played at least a third, we didn’t win any, drew 6 and lost 2, collecting 0.75 points per game. For the 38 league games he didn’t play we won 2.03 points per game – title-winning form.

Was this down to Shodipo making the team worse, or was he just unlucky to be picked in the games before we had formed a cohesive unit? Maybe we will never know. So, sadly, welcome to our shït list, Mide Shodipo.

1167622673_Screenshot2022-06-21at18_38_59.png.4b3d388f22e5629e4651f5acfac46354.png

Just didnt seem to fit in. Probably ok at this level but why QPR have given him a new contract is baffling.