Worst SWFC Player of the past 10 years (Owlstalk Ratings)

I think Shodipo.is actually quite a good player. Was very unlucky with injuries and the system change imo - he is a left-winger who has little defensive capabilities, so after the switch to five-back he was always going to find it challenging to get into the team.

6 hours ago, Emerson Thome said:

Okay, coming up next, number 6. And guess what? It's another disappointing loan signing.

Mcgeady is my guess.

although I maintain da cruz will be somewhere near the top of this list.  Absolutely terrible player !

2 hours ago, mcmigo said:

Mcgeady is my guess.

although I maintain da cruz will be somewhere near the top of this list.  Absolutely terrible player !

McGeady was number 11.

Da Cruz would have been right up there near the top of this list, but he only started 9 games, so doesn't qualify.

• Love 1

6 minutes ago, Zeus said:

Pelupessy had an incredible game at Villa away when Fletcher and Matias scored the goals.

Other than that he was woeful, one that looked bad as soon as he came in.

Great memory. That game at Villa is the highest rating he was ever given for a game (7.81).

2 hours ago, Zeus said:

Pelupessy had an incredible game at Villa away when Fletcher and Matias scored the goals.

Other than that he was woeful, one that looked bad as soon as he came in.

A very clear memory from that game is a frustrated Jack Grealish trying to take him out and Joey knocking the ball past him like he wasn't there.

Whenever the debate over Grealish' talent comes up I always thing of that game and that moment.

There is nothing worse than thinking Wednesday have made the perfect signing, then they turn out to be absolutely bobbins. We seem to have signed lots of promising ‘final piece in the jigsaw’ midfielders just to find they seem to fit within a different game entirely. I was so excited about this signing. Oh well.

Almen Abdi, Simon Donnelly, David Jones, Jim Magilton, George Boyd – all enigmas shrouded in a mystery. And to that list we can add the name of Lewis Wing.

The thing about Wing was, every time he played against Wednesday he had looked like a superstar. Rangy, good engine, with a great long shot and eye for a pass, he seemed desperate to move to Wednesday and to play with Barry Bannan. What’s more, we had pinched him from under the noses of Rotherham (sound familiar?). What a coup!

But perhaps that was the problem. When Bannan is in the team, he is the conductor of the orchestra, and he didn’t particularly need a second conductor. Wing was asked to do a deeper role alongside Bannan, to do his tackling and fill the gaps in the side and keep things moving and chip in with the odd goal. Something Luongo or Byers are happy to do. But Wing couldn't seem to do that.

Whenever Bannan played well, Wing didn’t. On the odd occasions Wing played well (Ipswich and Wigan away), Bannan wither didn’t play well or didn’t play at all. And Bannan plays nearly every game.

Wing’s best game for Wednesday was against Newcastle Under 23s, he ran the show that day. While Bannan put his feet up. His only goal came against Mansfield (again with Bannan rested). The only game where Bannan and Wing both came close to both performing well together was the 3-0 win against Sunderland.

Otherwise Wing never threatened the same impact in the big boys league. More and more he started to snatch at shots and give the ball away. Given a last-minute chance to win the FA Cup tie against Plymouth, he blazed over. Moore said he was "trying too hard". Makes a change, I guess, to most on this list.

His last two games for Wednesday were the abject losses at Sunderland and Shrewsbury.

The week after the Shrewsbury game, Massimo Luongo returned from suspension – and Wednesday fielded a midfield three of Luongo, Dele-Bashiru and Bannan at home against Plymouth – and spanked them 4-2. We had found our ideal midfield balance (with Dele-Bashiru interchangeable with Byers). Either way, Wing wasn’t in it. The lack of chemistry meant it was best for all concerned for Wing to fly away elsewhere.

So welcome to the hall of shame, Lewis Wing. At another time you could have been just what we needed. Rather than our sixth worst player in the last 10 years.

Screenshot 2022-06-27 at 21.27.16.png

Based on the fact that we paid for them:

top 3 

3. Abdi - had personal problems, I get that, but poo the bed, he took us to the cleaners. 

2. Van Aken - I’m rubbish at football, but I’m better than him. 

1. Rhodes - not his fault that we signed him for so much but in terms of the impact it ended up having on the club - FFP issues, squad cohesion as we already had 6 strikers at the club and he didn’t help himself in not taking a pen and being terrible in large

parts

17 minutes ago, GlossyOwl said:

Based on the fact that we paid for them:

top 3 

3. Abdi - had personal problems, I get that, but poo the bed, he took us to the cleaners. 

2. Van Aken - I’m rubbish at football, but I’m better than him. 

1. Rhodes - not his fault that we signed him for so much but in terms of the impact it ended up having on the club - FFP issues, squad cohesion as we already had 6 strikers at the club and he didn’t help himself in not taking a pen and being terrible in large

parts

What personal problems did Abdi have?.

Serious question.