Bannan going will be a blessing.

20 minutes ago, poorlyheadowl said:

Because then some may just see a team carried week in week out by a single player is going nowhere. 

Am I wrong? 

Getting a defence behind him, 2 wingers at the side of him, and striker in front of him; might help

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Doctor Duran said:

Bit marmite is our Barry..

But on 20k wages a week in league with 1 year left .. cold hearted side of me says cash in and reinvest in 2 or 3 players.

We've had a good run with him in the team and unfortunately we have failed.

Talisman / great player in 50% of the games..

Unfortunately it's time for a change. But he will go with our best wishes

if people like marmite that’s cos they have bad taste not cos it tastes nice.

No other player in the league puts that ball through to Johnson with that weight and precision.

Lose Bannan and it’s a minimum 3 year rebuild.

He has carried us this year - we look clueless when he is not on the pitch.  It is for the rest of the team to up their standards (and effort and work rate) to his - then we might get somewhere 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, poorlyheadowl said:

Will it be his decision? Given its his last year and he could go on a free in 12 months? 

who knows?

but this thread pops up every summer (at least 10 times) and is shown just to be a storm in a tea cup.

And we all know Chansiri is never interested in selling his best players.

1 minute ago, I'm an Essex Owl said:

if people like marmite that’s cos they have bad taste not cos it tastes nice.

No other player in the league puts that ball through to Johnson with that weight and precision.

Lose Bannan and it’s a minimum 3 year rebuild.

He has carried us this year - we look clueless when he is not on the pitch.  It is for the rest of the team to up their standards (and effort and work rate) to his - then we might get somewhere 

A total rebuild is needed ASAP imo. Because when he does go people will realise that there's very little quality left. And that's my whole point. Chan needs to build a team of quality players around him, not let him go. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Bannan is an amazing player, especially in league one...  He is a true servant, he could have gone this season and played in the championship, he probably could have earnt more money doing so...   But he stayed because he is loyal..  Even if we wanted to cash in on him then he is 32, who is going to pay much for a 32 year old?  We do have an issue that we have relied heavily this season on ageing players, frankly they have been our top performers, Hopefully we will have some money to spend this season..  Last time we were in league one we didnt have DC's money, we have been hampered this season by what went on in the past but we should have the financial might to produce a strong team next season...

Sunderland imo should go up, we gave as good as we got and there was little between the teams...  We need to rebuild, lets hope Moore can have another season of picking out some gems..

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Theboylangers said:

I think he'll have a year left on his contract.

Right or wrong, we may decide to cash in. Reasonable fee and wages saved. 

I'd personally keep him but I can understand the sentiment. 

Other teams supposedly interested. If serious show us the money.. If it’s big bucks take it and start the rebuild. If not keep him. That’s what running a club in the lower leagues is all about.

Guest Wonky Owl

It pains me to say this but i think Wednesday need to let Bannan go. Sell him and use the 20m to rebuild the team for an automatic promotion charge next season. Get Dyche in an all as More isn't good enough for a MASSIVE club like you guys.

From a Manchester City fan.

Quite frankly i think he will stay i cant see him swapping us for a mid to lower Championship team  however if for example Luton get promoted and come in for him then he might go, I cant see him turning down the chance of finishing his career in the Premier League with a pay rise. 

31 minutes ago, Blatter said:

Other teams supposedly interested. If serious show us the money.. If it’s big bucks take it and start the rebuild. If not keep him. That’s what running a club in the lower leagues is all about.

Do you geniunely think anyone’s going to pay big bucks for a 32 year old league 1 player?

Bannan can stay at Wednesday as long as he wants for me but there were times in the two legs where I thought he struggled to keep up to the pace of the younger Sunderland lads.

The pass to Johnson for the goal was absolute class but he didn’t do a lot else over the two games