THE BEST FOOTBALL TEAM EVER !

2 hours ago, Southie_Owl said:

Great team, but you seem to have a left back playing at right back?  in the recent history of football there must be a right back who could do a job there. 

Fair, trying to shoehorn him in really, but he could play anywhere.

Cafu, Lahm, Zanetti or Zambrotta could all have slotted in, just flipping love t'old Paulo.

The other way you could do this is to just pick the Milan defence from 1994 and the Hungarian attack from 1954. Best ever defence + best ever attack = best ever team?

..........................................Rossi....................................

.Tassotti..........Costacurta...........Baresi..........Maldini.

........................................Desailly...................................

.Czibor.............Kocsis................Puskas..............Budai.

.......................................Hidegkuti.................................

Sub: Maradona

I've limited the choice only to players whom I have seen playing "live" (so to speak), not just on telly or Youtube:-

GK: Gordon Banks
DEF: Roland Nilsson
DEF: Bobby Moore
DEF: Marcel Desailly
DEF: Alan Hansen
MID: George Best
MID: Stanley Matthews (I think I only saw him play in a testimonial match!)
MID: Bobby Charlton
MID: Chris Waddle
FWD: Pele (SW vs. Santos, early 70s)
FWD: Thierry Henry

Bobby Moore, for me, would be the best player I have ever seen. That England v Brazil match in the 1970 World Cup finals should be on the school curriculum. Moore had an uncanny knack of reading the game so well, he just about had Pele in his pocket that day. He made the game look easy.

Although I never saw Beckenbauer (except on telly), the thought of "The Kaiser" playing alongside Moore in defence would send a chill down the spine of any opposition forward. To quote the great Pele when asked who was the best he'd played against:-

"I can mention Beckenbauer who used to play for Germany and Bobby Moore when we played against England.I think those two players. Different style because Beckenbauer used to play more to control the game but man to man, the best was Bobby Moore. No doubt."

There are probably loads i have forgotten but here goes

Gianluigi Buffon

Carlos Alberta

Alessandro Nesta

Carlos Puyol

Paolo Maldini

Andres Iniesta

Lothar Matteus

George Best

Diego Maradonna

Lionel Messi

Pele

SUBS

Dino Zoff , Franco Baresi , Bobby Moore , Lillian Thuram ,  Paul Breitner , Paul Gascoigne , Liam Brady , Johan Cruyff , Christiano Ronaldo , Gunther Netzer , Eusabio

Schmeichel

Stam        Nesta       Maldini

Rijkaard

Iniesta           Zidane          Maradona

Messi            Ronaldinho

Ronaldo             

Edited by Degryse14

In my lifetime...

Buffon 

Alves 

Ramos 

Cannavaro 

Maldini 

Makelele (there are better "footballers", but if we want some balance, then you might as well have the fella who the position is named after!) 

Zidane 

Iniesta 

Messi 

Fat Ronaldo 

Ronaldo 

1 hour ago, Degryse14 said:

Schmeichel

Stam        Nesta       Maldini

Rijkaard

Iniesta           Zidane          Maradona

Messi            Ronaldinho

Ronaldo             

For this team, you've got a lot of slow defenders in the centre, so I would go 4-3-3 with quick, mobile forwards who would drag the centre-backs all over the place. My midfield might lack flair, but none of those galacticos would wan't to do any donkey work, so we would run them to death. 

......................................Westwood...................................

.Nilsson.............Walker................Swan...............Johnson.

..............Shelton..............Palmer..............Lee.....................

.Antonio.....................Paul Williams.......................Francis.

Reda Johnson might need some help marking Messi.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, onlyonedavidhirst said:

Buffon

Cafu     Baresi     Beckenbaur     Maldini

Zidane    Iniesta    

Messi    Ronaldo  Maradona   Ronaldo

subs

cruyff

Vieira

Moore

Hirst

Henry

Kante

This team doesn't have a midfield. They would struggle to get a foothold in the game. The attack-minded defenders selected would have to stay back all the time as they have no cover. While Ronaldo and Messi will get annoyed at having to track back to track Mel Sterland, particularly as they slightly lightweight Iniesta is being asked to play a holding midfield role against 3 strong runners on my side. A well-disciplined 80s Wilkinson side would beat this lot.

........................................Hodge....................................

.............Shirtliff...............Lyons.............Madden............

.Sterland........Shelton......Jonsson.....Megson....Worthington

.......................Chapman................Varadi........................

3 hours ago, Musn't Grumble said:

I've limited the choice only to players whom I have seen playing "live" (so to speak), not just on telly or Youtube:-

GK: Gordon Banks
DEF: Roland Nilsson
DEF: Bobby Moore
DEF: Marcel Desailly
DEF: Alan Hansen
MID: George Best
MID: Stanley Matthews (I think I only saw him play in a testimonial match!)
MID: Bobby Charlton
MID: Chris Waddle
FWD: Pele (SW vs. Santos, early 70s)
FWD: Thierry Henry

I'll put the same limit on myself, this team is only based on players I've seen live (and you've already nicked Nilsson and Waddle). I think you'll have a revolt before kick-off telling Stanley Matthews he is playing centre midfield with just Bobby Charlton for company. Carlton Palmer will have him for breakfast. Was going to pick Carbone, but with Alan Hansen stuck out at left back I think having Antonio to power past him will be best.

...........................................Woods.........................................

.Hunt...................Walker................Loovens..........Hinchcliffe.

.................Sheridan............Palmer..........Bannan....................

..Antonio............................Bright.............................Di Canio.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, SiJ said:

In my lifetime...

Buffon 

Alves 

Ramos 

Cannavaro 

Maldini 

Makelele (there are better "footballers", but if we want some balance, then you might as well have the fella who the position is named after!) 

Zidane 

Iniesta 

Messi 

Fat Ronaldo 

Ronaldo 

Well, this is the best team picked yet. Mainly because you've picked someone in the Makelele role and the players are mainly in their proper positions. However you might have undermined the morale of your star striker by calling him fat. He gets sensitive about that. I'm going to try and exploit divisions in the camp, with an unhappy striker and Ramos who always gets sent off by picking a load of wind-up merchants, two strikers who like a dive and hope the match descends into a brawl. Even if that means a recall for Forestieri at left-back (Garry Monk would approve). Ross Wallace as captain.

................................................Bywater.......................................

.Wilson.....................Hutchinson............Swan..........Forestieri..

.Wallace....................Palmer...................Hyde.............Maguire.

..........................Gordon Watson.............Lucas Joao.................

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Emerson Thome said:

This team doesn't have a midfield. They would struggle to get a foothold in the game. The attack-minded defenders selected would have to stay back all the time as they have no cover. While Ronaldo and Messi will get annoyed at having to track back to track Mel Sterland, particularly as they slightly lightweight Iniesta is being asked to play a holding midfield role against 3 strong runners on my side. A well-disciplined 80s Wilkinson side would beat this lot.

........................................Hodge....................................

.............Shirtliff...............Lyons.............Madden............

.Sterland........Shelton......Jonsson.....Megson....Worthington

.......................Chapman................Varadi.......................

Yes, but you have to get the ball. Obviously it's all just conjecture etc, but I put Kante and Vieira on the bench in case of such problems. Obviously, my team would play the high press and use the theory that if you score 7 we'd score 8! But I reckon with Messi, Iniesta, Maradona then we'll have 75+% possession  and the sheer pace of both Ronaldos, Messi and Maradona would mean you darent attack in numbers. My final tactic is if your side get above your station and start to do well Zidane will nut your most influential player

22 minutes ago, onlyonedavidhirst said:

Yes, but you have to get the ball. Obviously it's all just conjecture etc, but I put Kante and Vieira on the bench in case of such problems. Obviously, my team would play the high press and use the theory that if you score 7 we'd score 8! But I reckon with Messi, Iniesta, Maradona then we'll have 75+% possession  and the sheer pace of both Ronaldos, Messi and Maradona would mean you darent attack in numbers. My final tactic is if your side get above your station and start to do well Zidane will nut your most influential player

Bring it on! Wilko would be licking his lips at the idea of Zidane, Messi and Ronaldo playing a high press. We'd sit deep, and as they surge forward we'd ping high balls up to the head of Chapman with Megson exploiting the space opening up in midfield to pick up the pieces. It would be a classic encounter.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, WBridgfordowl said:

Roy Keane?!!!!! 🤣🤣

Without a doubt as I was considering Tony Kay ie ine of th if not the hardest half back/midfielders ever but Keane IMO was harder and that’s what a team requires but as I stated originally it’s only my opinion