An interesting read regarding players wages and some outrageous facts.

I just don't see how you can incur a signing on fee and then after the Contract ends lose this in it's entirety... Therefore transfer fee's should either be banned or repaid (including agents fees) by another club or the player themselves to release them after their contracted period at a club... All this mega money signing Fee/ Agency and then it's forgotten a few later crap is the problem, as it means players don't have any commitments after the deal is made to ensure that they meet with the agreement to perform accordingly.

On 15/12/2021 at 08:57, Ian said:

Anyone who thinks agents get paid too much or do bugger all would be advised to educate themselves more on such matters.

Similarly, whilst there will always be subjective individual cases of “players getting paid too much”, overall they don’t.

Players get paid what clubs decide they are worth and given the money flowing in to the game which is 99% about those players then it’s probably about right.

I’d be interested to know the percentage of Prem and EFL clubs that have gone bust in that 10 year period compared to any other industry

I'm educated on such matters and I still think so 

3 hours ago, steelowl said:

yep up to date on that mess too 

So you don’t think employees who by their own talents and are in the top echelon of their profession in the world deserve a decent cut of the money they earn their employers?

3 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Agents just need eradicating from the game don’t they

Would you apply that to other aspects of the world as well

Do solicitors need eradicating from house buying

I don’t recall you eradicating the services of barristers in legal battles you may have had

• Like 1

On 15/12/2021 at 10:37, matthefish2002 said:

The problem with salary caps is the big clubs will employ the best legal minds to find ways round them.

FFP / P&S has already been tried which were ways to try and curb clubs spending and they are still big problems.

When Wednesday first encountered problems with the financial rules people were moaning that Chansiri as club owner should be allowed to spend what he wants, fans were only interested in the short term success of they own clubs not for the overall good of the game.

This is something very difficult to get around.

You’re correct when you say big clubs would find a way around salary caps, but actually how would that change how things are now anyway?  Man City, Liverpool and Chelsea signing all the best players and winning everything?  Let them continue to do it.  There’s a squad size limit so any player who wants to waste their talent and career by joining Chelsea and never playing for them, so be it.

The issue we have is salary caps would be seen to be against the rights of footballers.  But their salaries are killing football clubs.  When you work in administration, your company pays you what it can afford to. You don’t say, well the company has made £4m profit this year with the help of my work so I deserve a salary of £500k.  You get paid £30k or whatever and the company continues to be sustainable.  Football clubs should be the same, particularly as they are just an entertainment and not a proper job like nurse, fireman, police etc. 
Generally in the film industry,  actors salaries are less than what the film expects to make in the box office, not more.  They don’t make a James Bond film and expect to make say £200m at the box office and pay it’s actors £300m.  

I fully agree with the posts that mention there should be salary caps, perhaps for each tier of football and a squad limit size, and not just that you have to register 25 players for the PL but can still have 100 players on your books like Chelsea do.  Just make it so clubs are only allowed about 25 players, and also limits for their youth teams too.  And yes, all of Europe should sign up for it 

I think looking at wages as a percentage of income is the key hear.

I know people will say that player's wages are obscene but their jobs generate a lot of income and thus they deserve paying a lot more than your average wage.

But when the wages end up being more than income then something has clearly gone wrong.

I think that US sport, particularly the NFL, get this right with the way their wage caps work. In the NFL, players are entitled by law to 50% of income. This means they get paid an incredible wage but they deserve it as there would be no huge incomes without them. But as it is also limited to 50% there is plenty of money left over for running costs.

The difference though is that American sports are a closed shop. And that is the biggest difference with football. A wage cap would be a benefit for the security of the sport but if only England were to inact it then our teams would lose all of the best players and they'd get slaughtered in Europe.

Then there is the problem with promotion and relegation. There is such a gulf in the income levels between divisions that a set wage cap, based upon proportion of income would make it impossible for teams being promoted to suddenly compete. And parachute payments would cause even more disparity.

So I guess there are other issues that need to be dealt with before wages can be brought under control. There needs to be a unilateral agreement across countries. There needs to be a fairer distribution of income across the division and there need to be a fairer alternative to parachute payments.

Without these, wages will never be brought under control. So it will probably never happen.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Southie_Owl said:

Generally in the film industry,  actors salaries are less than what the film expects to make in the box office, not more.

That's true, but there's a difference between films and sport.  What a film makes at the box office is not massively affected by how well the other films do that year; but the placing of a football club relative to its rivals can makes a huge difference to revenue.  Winning the premiership, qualifying for Europe, getting promoted are all highly lucrative, so it's not surprising that many owners pay in extra in the hope of a better outcome - but there aren't enough titles, promotion spots and European places to reward them all.  

I'm not even sure it would be possible to be a sustainable mid-level championship club.  So many owners are throwing in money in the hope of promotion that a club that breaks even will be at a big disadvantage.  Unless, of course, it's an early adopter of a new idea that turns out to work, like Brentford with their data analytics.

It's hard to see a salary cap being agreed, for reasons discussed above, so clubs will continue to be reliant on owners who can and will accept a loss most seasons.

1 hour ago, WalworthOwl said:

That's true, but there's a difference between films and sport.  What a film makes at the box office is not massively affected by how well the other films do that year

Its up against other films

Thats why nobody wants to release movies at Same time as James Bond

Owlstalk Shop

1 hour ago, Davidioso said:

I know I shouldn't get political but 12 million people live in poverty in the UK and some kids want to stay in school because they have no heating at home. Talk of more money for footballers kind of grinds my gears a little.

Why?....do you think if footballers got paid less that

a) those kids would live in nice warm and cosey houses 

b) Football club owners would have less outgoings

c) TV companies would make more money

To make it easier you can choose 2 of the 3 above

23 hours ago, Ian said:

Why?....do you think if footballers got paid less that

a) those kids would live in nice warm and cosey houses 

b) Football club owners would have less outgoings

c) TV companies would make more money

To make it easier you can choose 2 of the 3 above

You're completely missing his point, and you know it. And inn no way is he saying that those things are related (I assume).