An interesting read regarding players wages and some outrageous facts.

1 hour ago, modboy said:

*Cough* Rotherham 

Good point.  Most often clubs with high wage budgets finish above those paying less, but not always.  But it would be a big risk to get rid of the current squad and replace them with cheaper, however good your scouting network or data analytics were. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

I think when all is said and done that we should sit down, shut up, and cough up ever increasing ticket prices to ensure Chansiri and the agents dont' go hungry this christmas

I don't get this criticism.

In 2014 Wednesday were bankrupt and only saved because the Co-op wrote off some debt.  Like nearly every other Football League club we've made losses since as well.  We need an owner who puts money in.  He tried for promotion, narrowly missed, and paid the price.  Of course it would be better to have an incredibly insightful owner who's every player signing is brilliant, but we were lucky to avoid Mammadov.

6 minutes ago, WalworthOwl said:

Good point.  Most often clubs with high wage budgets finish above those paying less, but not always.  But it would be a big risk to get rid of the current squad and replace them with cheaper, however good your scouting network or data analytics were. 

It doesn't have to be done all at once.

A club can gradually change to younger players with a good youth and scouting network.

Think the club has taken a bit of a gamble again to try and get up this season with loan signings and expensive wages.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nile said:

If you subscribe to sky sports as a supporter from any club outside the top flight, you might get lucky and see your club live on tv 2 or 3 times a year.

let’s say it’s £25 a month, that’s £300 for 2/3 live games, how is that free??

all my money and any lower league fan money is doing is helping to saturate the premier league clubs and anyone connected to them.

You see highlights of every match....EVERY match

Guest LondonOwl313
10 hours ago, nile said:

If you subscribe to sky sports as a supporter from any club outside the top flight, you might get lucky and see your club live on tv 2 or 3 times a year.

let’s say it’s £25 a month, that’s £300 for 2/3 live games, how is that free??

all my money and any lower league fan money is doing is helping to saturate the premier league clubs and anyone connected to them.

Wednesday have been on sky twice this season and ITV once.. last season it was about 10 times including the red button games. 

For League 1 and below you aren’t getting sky to watch your team, you’re getting it because you want to watch premier league games generally. They’re more entertaining than our games anyway as the standard is a lot higher 

1 hour ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Wednesday have been on sky twice this season and ITV once.. last season it was about 10 times including the red button games. 

For League 1 and below you aren’t getting sky to watch your team, you’re getting it because you want to watch premier league games generally. They’re more entertaining than our games anyway as the standard is a lot higher 

Not forgetting the highlights package on Quest every week

36 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

If ever there was justifcation for eye watering ticket prices and extraordinary amounts of money being paid to football agents it's a highlights package on Quest

Ticket prices aren’t eye watering though are they…..you can bang on about it all you want, it won’t make it true

4 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

eye watering ticket prices

I posted this earlier on this thread, but it still seems relevant.  We moan about the way football is going, ticket prices, and the monied awfulness of the Premier League, but...

Average attendances of the top four divisions in England in 2019/20:    39,349   18,585   8,753    4,664   (average attendance not including covid-closed games)

Average attendances of the top four divisions in England in 1991/92:    21,662   10,525   5,442    3,404    (Last year before PL)

1 minute ago, WalworthOwl said:

I posted this earlier on this thread, but it still seems relevant.  We moan about the way football is going, ticket prices, and the monied awfulness of the Premier League, but...

Average attendances of the top four divisions in England in 2019/20:    39,349   18,585   8,753    4,664   (average attendance not including covid-closed games)

Average attendances of the top four divisions in England in 1991/92:    21,662   10,525   5,442    3,404    (Last year before PL)

Average attendances for tea dances has plummeted in recent years 

Owlstalk Shop

On 15/12/2021 at 05:06, TommyCraig said:

https://www.football365.com/news/opinion-footballs-wage-crisis-sits-in-the-championship-rather-than-the-premier-league

Over the last 10 years Brentford have spent 153% of income on wages alone. Absolutely ridiculous and surely it can't go on. 

Obviously we've suffered and get a mention as one of the teams who fell foul of chasing the carrot. 

Man City 23 billion

Man Utd 22 billion

Chelsea 21 billion

66 billion in wages for just 3 clubs. 

Makes what they offered the EFL clubs to keep the game going through covid look rather miserly. 

The players earn far too much and I hope this madness ends soon. 

Just now, maidstoneowl said:

You could read book "The Nearly Men" (scouts)  

See how Brentford make many hundreds of millions by selling player.  Take what the London clubs don't want, coach and sell. Not much make headline, so sell for £5millions.  Some they sell for £20millions.

Does not matter what spend on wage.  They do oppo of SWFC who sign Rhodes at £12millions and give for nothing.  Abdi for £4.5millions then give for nothing.  And so on it go

At shop it would be like buy chicken burger ingredients for £10 and give for nothing

RESULT?

No chicken shop

• Like 1

sorry i find book name

This is very good for read

The Nowhere Men: The Unknown Story of Football's True Talent Spotters

it talk abowt Brentford and this book was 7 year ago so before Brentford were very good

but it explain how they plan to get where now is 

Ask Santa put inside your sack for Xmas and enjoy this

4 minutes ago, Ian said:

You're obviously in a strange place at the moment.....I'll stop feeding you 

Ignoring your inability to try and turn things personal and avoid the topic when soundly defeated:

We need to agree to disagree on this one

You want to increase football ticket prices across the board to fund player agents and advisors 

And I don’t 

Owlstalk Shop