Steve Burtenshaw

I don't bear him any malice, just telling it like it is. Besides his birthday was two weeks ago.

Back in the day we would chant his name (especially at the end of the 73/74 season when we stayed up by beating Bolton 1-0 in the last game) but by the start of 1975 we added the word "out" to the end of it!

• Like 3

I tried to contact him through that nursing home when researching my book on the mid-70s (Our Lowest Ebb).

After initially agreeing to meet me, I was told that he found thinking about his time at Hillsborough too upsetting. 

A shame, as I would have liked to hear about his version of events. He had a good career in football and was clearly a good coach. Not too many positive memories about his teams at S6, but several of him as a good bloke. Glad to hear he's still going. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bearwood Owl1 said:

I tried to contact him through that nursing home when researching my book on the mid-70s (Our Lowest Ebb).

After initially agreeing to meet me, I was told that he found thinking about his time at Hillsborough too upsetting. 

A shame, as I would have liked to hear about his version of events. He had a good career in football and was clearly a good coach. Not too many positive memories about his teams at S6, but several of him as a good bloke. Glad to hear he's still going. 

A few thousand of us found his time at Hillsborough upsetting as well, I recall him taking a huge gamble on a whole seasons transfer budget on Phil Henson.

Very good coach but a dreadfull manager

1 hour ago, legendaryswan said:

A few thousand of us found his time at Hillsborough upsetting as well, I recall him taking a huge gamble on a whole seasons transfer budget on Phil Henson.

Very good coach but a dreadfull manager

Pretty much the conclusion I came to in the book. Good coach, generous with his time for supporters, not always a good man manager and dreadful results on the pitch in the most part.

Man we were bloody awful back then...  As a kid it didn't matter though... that being said, some of my Wednesday heroes came from that period of time - Joicey - Prendergast - Henderson - Rodriguez - Knighton...  

Met most of the players back then but never met Steve B.  He was unfortunate enough to be part of the never ending revolving door of managers...   Happy Birthday Steve Burtenshaw..

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Whitecap Owl said:

Man we were bloody awful back then...  As a kid it didn't matter though... that being said, some of my Wednesday heroes came from that period of time - Joicey - Prendergast - Henderson - Rodriguez - Knighton...  

Met most of the players back then but never met Steve B.  He was unfortunate enough to be part of the never ending revolving door of managers...   RIP Steve Burtenshaw..

8 minutes ago, Whitecap Owl said:

Met most of the players back then but never met Steve B.  He was unfortunate enough to be part of the never ending revolving door of managers...   Happy Birthday Steve Burtenshaw..

We were awful back then but I was too young to notice, all them players were my heroes along with Eric Potts. 

• Like 1