Our heroes once retired

1 hour ago, Lincs Owl said:

Peter Springett is in that photo.  He became a policeman based in Barnsley.  On duty at some Barnsley v Owls games. After he'd retired of course.  

He also worked out of West Bar, often patrolling London Road.  I worked out of Woodseats police patrolling the opposite side of London Road. Lovely bloke 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nuneatonowl1 said:

I was a copper joining back on New Years Eve in 1984.  Hugh Dowd was on the same initial intake as well as Ray Mountford, the old Rotherham keeper 

Played againt Ray Mountford in the midweek league when he was playing for a police team. I'm glad Hugh Dowd didn't play. 

I was photographing Millie Bright for an adidas campaign a couple of years back and I thought I recognised her agent but wasn't sure where I'd seen him before. Later on I was talking to her mum (some of her family had come along for the shoot) about being a Wednesday fan and she mentioned that the agent used to play for us, which was when I realised it was David Reeves. Had a good chat with him.

3 hours ago, nuneatonowl1 said:

He also worked out of West Bar, often patrolling London Road.  I worked out of Woodseats police patrolling the opposite side of London Road. Lovely bloke 

Hugh Dowd couldn’t have lasted long as he was a social worker at limb Lane kids home too. 

It's often reported that one of our most popular players , Gary Bannister,  is now a hotel maintenance man in Birmingham.

I find it weird that he's going about a job, unrecognised by many ( maybe a few Coventry and WBA fans? )  ..might even have some young ones working with him who have not got a clue that he had 25'000 +  fans watching him week in week out, and that he played top flight football ( albeit for QPR ). 

it just shows the massive gulf from what players used to earn to nowadays...  no doubt they were on good wages at the time compared to joe public but nowhere near enough to set them up for life....  must be so frustrating for some of them that were half decent earning pittance compared to someone playing in the prem these days on 50k a week and not even making the first team.....

• Like 1