Moore. How much time?

8 hours ago, WalworthOwl said:

This video reminded me of the debate about whether Moore should pick a first eleven and stick with it.

HOW Thomas Tuchel became the best coach in the world - YouTube

It says “Another part of Tuchel's strategy is to set up to counteract each opponent. Klopp favours gegenpressing, Pep has tiki-taka, but Tuchel can beat them both by anticipating their every move and finding new tactical innovations. That's why at Mainz [the first club he managed, who he took to their highest ever league position] he never played the same formation with the same players twice in a row.”

Thomas Tuchel has top internationals at his disposal who are good enough to adapt to each slight tactical move and formation every game.
Darren Moore has a bunch league one player who play better when they know they roles and have an understanding (particularly in defence) with they colleagues. This can take a few games to develop.

Trying to change formation and tinker with tactics each game is just trying to be too clever in league 1 IMO.

52 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Because we’re not good enough to do it first time of asking.

Based on what?

We have a squad which should absolutely be competing for promotion this season but you are just writing it off. It won't get any easier if we don't because most of the players are on loans or short term contracts and it will be a case of starting again with the financial impact of another season at this level also having an impact.   

He seems totally devoid of tactical awareness and is floundering. If he communicates with his players at the same level as he communicates with the media there is little wonder that he fails to get the best out of them. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, matthefish2002 said:

Thomas Tuchel has top internationals at his disposal who are good enough to adapt to each slight tactical move and formation every game.
Darren Moore has a bunch league one player who play better when they know they roles and have an understanding (particularly in defence) with they colleagues. This can take a few games to develop.

Trying to change formation and tinker with tactics each game is just trying to be too clever in league 1 IMO.

They aren’t playing against top internationals either though

Its all relative

11 hours ago, pat blondeau said:

The majority of the summer signings are here on one year deals or on the loan.

And most of the rest of the squad who were already here are out of contract at the end of the season.

We’re not building anything, the recruitment this summer was short term to try get us out the league this season.

Whether we’re in league 1 or the championship next season the team will look completely different whoever is in charge.

If we were trying to build something we’d be signing lads in their early 20s on long term deals 

That’s also the market at the moment

1 minute ago, matthefish2002 said:

Yes but League One players cant adapt every game to new tactics and formations so its no wonder we looked disjointed every game.

Of course they can

To suggest that professional footballers can’t adjust between different tactics and formations is bizarre

Tactics and formations change multiple times during games at all levels

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

Of course they can

To suggest that professional footballers can’t adjust between different tactics and formations is bizarre

On evidence of Sheffield Wednesday this season they struggle to.

Every game I have watched you get the impression the players have only just met 10 mins before kick off.

11 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

That’s also the market at the moment

There's a new theory going round, that it's all just going to be short deals in the near future.

Agents are angling for players to run out their deals, as teams are now paying what would have been transfer fees to clubs, straight to the players as signing bonuses and wages.

Still the same amount of money, but to the player instead of the selling club.

17 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

Of course they can

Spot on but I think it's more about the players ability to do it and the managers ability to see and influence it.

1 hour ago, Tewkesbury said:

There's a new theory going round, that it's all just going to be short deals in the near future.

Agents are angling for players to run out their deals, as teams are now paying what would have been transfer fees to clubs, straight to the players as signing bonuses and wages.

Still the same amount of money, but to the player instead of the selling club.

It's not really a new thing, it's been happening since Bosman rulings came in

3 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Based on what?

We have a squad which should absolutely be competing for promotion this season but you are just writing it off. It won't get any easier if we don't because most of the players are on loans or short term contracts and it will be a case of starting again with the financial impact of another season at this level also having an impact.   

We didn’t go up first time of asking 03/04 or 10/11. I predict the same again.

New team cobbled together following the near implosion of the club, every club raises their game against a club of our size, a lot of good teams at this level who have been together for a while and know the league better than us.

I predict mid-table. But regardless I’d stick with Moore and give him another go at it next season. 

You can’t suggest keeping a manager just because you don’t like chopping and changing 

The manager has to earn that right himself 

It’s becoming more and more obvious that Moore doesn’t really have much of a clue

Are we expecting this to suddenly click under his guidance? When has that ever happened? 

The players are all of a sudden going to understand what is required of them in the formation and system he implements? 

It’s incredibly wishful thinking 

Edited by FreshOwl

40 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

New team cobbled together following the near implosion of the club, every club raises their game against a club of our size, a lot of good teams at this level who have been together for a while and know the league better than us.

I predict mid-table. But regardless I’d stick with Moore and give him another go at it next season. 

I keep reading this. 

Who are these teams? Most teams at this level signed a similar number of players to us this summer, there are not many close knit squads that have been together a while. Who are the 'lot of good teams'? 

What is the benefit of knowing the league well? How well did Plymouth know League 2 when Lowe got them promoted in his first season? Did Sheffield United benefit from spending 6 seasons getting to know League One or did they finally get promoted because they picked the right manager for them at the time?  

On 19/10/2021 at 14:03, SallyCinnamon said:

If we finish mid table this season, would he deserve another season? Could we put up with Moore's brand of football for another season?

We have progressively got worse as the seasons gone on and I wouldn't be unhappy if todays game was is last in charge for us.

18 minutes ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

If we finish mid table this season, would he deserve another season? Could we put up with Moore's brand of football for another season?

We have progressively got worse as the seasons gone on and I wouldn't be unhappy if todays game was is last in charge for us.

Think I said earlier in the season that the only way he should be anywhere near a second season is finishing in the playoffs, top 8 at a push. That said, after the performances we've seen and the chaos that is our tactical approach I'd be reluctant to stick with that now just in case we somehow fluke it. I can't recall a time where I've been able to extract so little enjoyment from watching us.

• Like 1