Moore. How much time?

11 hours ago, Athelwulf said:

It's the way we shilly-shally at the back which is the problem.

We always give the opposition a chance.

That is Moore's fault.

You're not wrong there - it's ok to play out from the back if you've got the players capable of doing it but right back from when Monk tried to do it, we've never looked like we have defenders who are comfortable enough on the ball. Possibly Gibson is the missing link there (though judging by his cameo against Bolton the other day probably not) but Moore needs to either abandon his principles or bring in defenders who are good with the ball at their feet.

Is that a sackable offence though? Definitely not.

Even if you count the time tillering the sinking ship he inherited towards the back end of last season with forced absenses because of illness, it's extremely harsh to judge the bloke off a few months. Particularly given we brought in a whopping 14 players over the summer, who would need a few months just to gel under any manager. Wouldn't matter if it was Pep, Jurgen or Darren we'd still be a work in progress.

We're 7th at the moment and seasons aren't defined in October. We also don't know what objectives Chansiri has set for him; if it was 'win the league' then I'm sure the man with the itchy trigger finger will be happy to oblige in any case...

• Like 1

Let’s be honest, if our players had actually put their chances away at the weekend, we wouldn’t even be having this conversation.

Moore simply cannot he blamed for wasted chances, and falling to pieces in the last 10 minutes.

What Moore can be blamed for is not knowing his best 11 yet, and not utilising the players he brought in, who are probably wondering why they bothered joining now.

Chansiri will give him until the end of season IMO and rightly so.

• Like 4

Just now, sheld1310 said:

Let’s be honest, if our players had actually put their chances away at the weekend, we wouldn’t even be having this conversation.

Moore simply cannot he blamed for wasted chances, and falling to pieces in the last 10 minutes.

What Moore can be blamed for is not knowing his best 11 yet, and not utilising the players he brought in, who are probably wondering why they bothered joining now.

Agree, with your points, although wouldn't say we fell to pieces, two individual errors cost us and to be fair we didnt sit back, we went to try and score a third. Sometimes in the heat of a disappointing result, lose sight of the good work we did, as you say. 

I think Moore has stumbled on a formation which suits, in 352. Problem is, it doesnt suit many of the players he's recruited, for example no chance of Corbeanu or Shodipo playing wing back. 

Lots of hysteria on here, sometimes really confuses me. One minute criticism for hoofing the ball long, the next criticism for playing out from the back, wanting us to hoof it instead. In truth, on Saturday we mixed it up well, created plenty of good chances and had players in their bo for a change. Personally,  I'd rather see us go forward trying to score goals, than defend a lead in our box as soon as we score. In hindsight, we should have shut up shop on Saturday once they scored, but I've been calling for us to go an attack teams, so would be hypocritical to criticise.

Moore, given time is capable of getting teams playing well, just like other managers coveted, all of whom have had a few seasons, at least. There is no silver bullet and fortunately we are currently 7th, with plenty of improvement left in us. We've lost 1 of the last 7, winning 3, after a poor run, too many draws but something to build on. 

A win at Cambridge tomorrow and we'll be back on track. If we play like we did at Wimbledon, I would bet against us getting the 3 points tomorrow. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, sheld1310 said:

Good post, but I’m sure Moore will be taking our fragility personally. He knows he’s got to find a way of making us more resilient because conceding in the last minutes of games will drain the team of confidence. I do agree though that it makes more sense to stay patient with Moore than make a panicky change. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, striker said:

Agree, with your points, although wouldn't say we fell to pieces, two individual errors cost us and to be fair we didnt sit back, we went to try and score a third. Sometimes in the heat of a disappointing result, lose sight of the good work we did, as you say. 

I think Moore has stumbled on a formation which suits, in 352. Problem is, it doesnt suit many of the players he's recruited, for example no chance of Corbeanu or Shodipo playing wing back. 

Lots of hysteria on here, sometimes really confuses me. One minute criticism for hoofing the ball long, the next criticism for playing out from the back, wanting us to hoof it instead. In truth, on Saturday we mixed it up well, created plenty of good chances and had players in their bo for a change. Personally,  I'd rather see us go forward trying to score goals, than defend a lead in our box as soon as we score. In hindsight, we should have shut up shop on Saturday once they scored, but I've been calling for us to go an attack teams, so would be hypocritical to criticise.

Moore, given time is capable of getting teams playing well, just like other managers coveted, all of whom have had a few seasons, at least. There is no silver bullet and fortunately we are currently 7th, with plenty of improvement left in us. We've lost 1 of the last 7, winning 3, after a poor run, too many draws but something to build on. 

A win at Cambridge tomorrow and we'll be back on track. If we play like we did at Wimbledon, I would bet against us getting the 3 points tomorrow. 

Excellent post.

We played really well at the weekend, the best I’ve seen us play for a while. We created so many chances where we got in behind their defence and the players let Moore down. Gregory was unlucky with his header though, he deserved his hatrick, put a right shift in.

I think Moore has settled on Patterson and Gregory as his starting forwards now. He just needs to find some consistency with the rest of the players, and it doesn’t help that his other best CB (Hutch) is injured. 

He will get it right IMO, and to say we are joint points with 6th after so many points thrown away this seasons, shows we are not that far away. 4 or 6 points from our next two games, win our game in hand against Sunderland,  and things will start to look very healthy. 

• Like 3

On 17/10/2021 at 15:12, SallyCinnamon said:

And what is the obsession with Ryan Lowe.

I swear people just pick a name and think everything will be rosy with a new man in charge.

It’s so strange. 

To be fair it probably stems more from his recent very good record of management in the ,lower leagues and playing attractive attacking football rather than just picking a random name. 

6 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

To be fair it probably stems more from his recent very good record of management in the ,lower leagues and playing attractive attacking football rather than just picking a random name. 

We were told Darren Moore played good attacking footballer with a Doncaster side fighting for promotion.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

We were told Darren Moore played good attacking footballer with a Doncaster side fighting for promotion.

We were duped! 

I believe we have to be patient and give Moore and the players some time to up their game and gel together. 

Interrupting that process by a change of manager in mid season sounds for me like a recipe for failure. 

In my opinion the only way out of league one is  to stick together as fans, players and manager and not fight or work against each other.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

So we could be duped by Ryan Lowe too.

Sacking managers is really not the answer. It got us nowhere when we were struggling, so why on earth would it be the solution when we're in a pretty respectable 7th place with only 12 games gone?

Lowe has a better record for attacking football and a better record of delivering success as a manager.

I'm not advocating a change just yet but the concerns are mounting and the reasons for some wanting Ryan Lowe have more substance than you gave them credit for. 

4 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Lowe has a better record for attacking football and a better record of delivering success as a manager.

I'm not advocating a change just yet but the concerns are mounting and the reasons for some wanting Ryan Lowe have more substance than you gave them credit for. 

People clamoured for Paul Cook (myself included) and his Ipswich side are below us in the league.

Perhaps just maybe we should stick with a man for a bit and give him a chance? No guarantee Lowe would do a good job here. 

6 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

People clamoured for Paul Cook (myself included) and his Ipswich side are below us in the league.

Perhaps just maybe we should stick with a man for a bit and give him a chance? No guarantee Lowe would do a good job here. 

As per my previous post I agree, just pointing out that there is justification for looking at Lowe, beyond him being 'just another name' as you stated.

You said yourself in another thread you can't understand why we have signed so many wingers, out so many of them on the bench, and play a formation that doesn't include wingers or play others out of position on the wing instead. 

1 minute ago, hirstyboywonder said:

As per my previous post I agree, just pointing out that there is justification for looking at Lowe, beyond him being 'just another name' as you stated.

You said yourself in another thread you can't understand why we have signed so many wingers, out so many of them on the bench, and play a formation that doesn't include wingers or play others out of position on the wing instead. 

There is no justification for Lowe when you’re 7th in the League and 12 games in. I know managers have a short shelf life nowadays, but that’s ridiculous in my view. Particularly considering how turbulent the club has been for the past few years - if there was ever a case for stability at a football club it would be Sheffield Wednesday.

And what’s your point? You can still give your opinion and criticise decisions without wanting to see the manager go. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

There is no justification for Lowe when you’re 7th in the League and 12 games in. I know managers have a short shelf life nowadays, but that’s ridiculous in my view. Particularly considering how turbulent the club has been for the past few years - if there was ever a case for stability at a football club it would be Sheffield Wednesday.

And what’s your point? You can still give your opinion and criticise decisions without wanting to see the manager go. 

Basically, as I said in my last post I am agreeing with you but can see where others are coming from as the reasons for concern are growing?

How long do you think is fair to give him (not taking into account you were one of the first to actually start a thread calling for his head this season)? 

Ryan Lowe is doing an awesome job, but that’s not to say the same would happen if he was to come here. He’s been at Plymouth a few seasons now and has been able to build something there.

We’ve seen it time and again where lower league managers try to step up to big clubs and it doesn’t always work.

Nathan Jones - Stoke

Cowley’s - Huddersfield

Paul Hurst - Ipswich 

Managing a club as a big as us is different than managing Burton or Plymouth. The expectation will be far higher, and our fans would hound him out if he started badly. Jury is still out on whether it will happen for Moore either, but he needs the season at the minimum.  We’re 7th, not 17th!

Get behind the manager.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Basically, as I said in my last post I am agreeing with you but can see where others are coming from as the reasons for concern are growing?

How long do you think is fair to give him (not taking into account you were one of the first to actually start a thread calling for his head this season)? 

He deserves the season at the very least. 

• Like 1