We would be MUCH better without Bannan

12 minutes ago, steelerian said:

Adeniran. And its not even close.

Dennis should also have 2 more assists because both of Gregory's goals came from Shots from Dennis that the keeper could not hold and Gregory followed up for tap ins.

Lets hope for more of the same from Adeniran on Saturday and another 3 points.

Guest Willow Owl
37 minutes ago, prowl said:

Wing had a decent game, he wasn't as bad as you make out. To keep saying the midfielders were ineffective after beating the top of the league at their ground is just downright wrong. We cancelled them out for long periods, yes, they had periods when they were on top but so did we. It was a good all round performance and one we should be satisfied with rather than keep trying to rewrite history to fit your argument.

That’s your opinion, how did he have decent game and what did he doto keep Bannan out. I thought he was poor and kept giving the ball away, but he did run about a lot so that means he must start over Bannan.  To use this one post about one game is taking what I have said out of context. Over the course of the season Nobody has performed better than Bannan in our midfield. I’ll ask you the same questions Who is better than Bannan, why would you replace him, and what would they do different to Bannan and show me the stats to back this up.  
I said It was a good win so how can I be trying to rewrite history, that’s nonsense. 

4 minutes ago, Willow Owl said:

That’s your opinion, how did he have decent game and what did he doto keep Bannan out. I thought he was poor and kept giving the ball away, but he did run about a lot so that means he must start over Bannan.  To use this one post about one game is taking what I have said out of context. Over the course of the season Nobody has performed better than Bannan in our midfield. I’ll ask you the same questions Who is better than Bannan, why would you replace him, and what would they do different to Bannan and show me the stats to back this up.  
I said It was a good win so how can I be trying to rewrite history, that’s nonsense. 

Adeniran. 

2 hours ago, Willow Owl said:

You only think stats are meaningless because they don’t back up your argument. You cannot produce anything to back up why we should drop Bannan for Wing or any other of our current midfielders as their performances are worse. You’re now going back 7 years to try and justify dropping Bannan and wasn’t Patterson part of the team that got relegated. 
You can trot out Wing this, Wing that all you want, but the facts remain he has performed worse than Bannan so far this season. There is nothing to suggest Wing would be better than Bannan in a change of system. Plus that great Rotherham attacking formation produced 4 more goals than us last season, Just think about that for a minute. 

Tactics are down to the manager nobody else and we can either agree or disagree. But if you’re going to change to a more direct attacking system then it makes sense to give your best player the chance in that new system. If it doesn’t work then make changes. 

You’re entitled to your opinion on Bannan but when confronted with facts about performances you cannot just ignore them.

I’m going to leave this conversation with you as there is nothing more to say. Have a good  day. 

Theres always something more to say,and usually we enjoy saying it!! ha ha...  we post passionately because we care

We disagree on the fundamental issue of BB......exactly why does he have to have so much of the ball? drop so deep? take all our free kicks,corners, etc?..

He has been here 7 years and you mention Patterson,how many goals did he score last Year? a very much underated midfielder used by us,as a makeshift striker...

BB simply not producing on the goals front, & i feel myself we should have parted company with him,thanked him,and allowed him to progress his career elsewhere.

I dont hold BB responsible for our poor start & performances in this Div thats down to DM...

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Willow Owl said:

Your thinking he was poor doesn't make it so.

I've not taken your 'one post about one game' out of context, you've made numerous and made your position clear. You are clearly a fan of Bannan. You may be right to be, I also think he is the best we've got. The difference is I can see that while we gain a lot from playing him we also lose a lot.

Are we better with him or without him, I honestly don't know. He is talented but he slows our attacks down dreadfully. We are pedestrian going forward and it is largely down to him.

Maybe the best option is for the coaches to tell him to move the ball forward quickly. Look up, is something on, if yes, play the ball. If it isn't don't hang on to the ball hoping for a pass to appear just move the ball forward and wide, not back or across and do it quickly.

That way we get all the benefits and remove the main drawback.  There are others but you can never coach him to be an aerial prescence or a physical player, nature won't allow it.

I'm not interested in who is better than Bannan because it doesn't matter who is better, it is a team game and maybe, just maybe the team as a whole might be better if he was on the bench for some games.

I'm prepared to keep an open mind because the question about Bannan isn't going to be answered after one or two games.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

I can see both arguments have some weight here. 

Hard decisions for DM because as talented as Bannan is, he does slow us down by taking a touch too many sometimes instead of moving it on quicker. 

I was also perplexed when he took the pen the other week when Gregory has a fantastic record on pens at his previous clubs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Like most things, its not black and white. Bannan could do with less responsibility regarding freekicks and corners, but his creativity is a real bonus in this league. Because of his pedigree Bannan takes a lot of responsibility upon himself. This last match without him may have done a lot to alleviate that and help him play without his own pressure to perform and create - having seen they can do it without him. A relaxed and productive Bannan would be a great asset in this league. 

• Like 1

Maybe Bannan should be on the bench in some away games when we need to have a solid defence and generally play on the break with quick passing and in the team at home when his passes can unlock a defence with 10 men behind the ball

• Like 1

Guest Willow Owl
19 hours ago, prowl said:

Your thinking he was poor doesn't make it so.

I've not taken your 'one post about one game' out of context, you've made numerous and made your position clear. You are clearly a fan of Bannan. You may be right to be, I also think he is the best we've got. The difference is I can see that while we gain a lot from playing him we also lose a lot.

Are we better with him or without him, I honestly don't know. He is talented but he slows our attacks down dreadfully. We are pedestrian going forward and it is largely down to him.

Maybe the best option is for the coaches to tell him to move the ball forward quickly. Look up, is something on, if yes, play the ball. If it isn't don't hang on to the ball hoping for a pass to appear just move the ball forward and wide, not back or across and do it quickly.

That way we get all the benefits and remove the main drawback.  There are others but you can never coach him to be an aerial prescence or a physical player, nature won't allow it.

I'm not interested in who is better than Bannan because it doesn't matter who is better, it is a team game and maybe, just maybe the team as a whole might be better if he was on the bench for some games.

I'm prepared to keep an open mind because the question about Bannan isn't going to be answered after one or two games.

Fair points 

Playing two up front and getting the ball up to them quickly will alter where Bannan plays as he won't have to come and get the ball from defenders who aren't equipped to play it out from the back. Let's hope the penny has dropped for DM

Edited by daveyboy66
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, sherlyegg said:

When...or if confidence returns Bannan cannot be left out. When we are on song (rarely I know) he's the best player in the league imho...when we are struggling..(or playing a crazy don't lose Moore set up) he's hopeless.

Aimho of course

Not gonna say you are missing the point--------------but,

I think Bannan is a good player if not one of the best in the league, however is he the best at taking free kicks, corners,

penalties?

Do we perform better as a team without him?

I wanted him gone at the end of last Season, Reason! as above.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, daveyboy66 said:

Playing two up front and getting the ball up to them quickly will alter where Bannan plays as he won't have to come and get the ball from defenders who aren't equipped to play it out from the back. Let's hope the penny has dropped for DM

Dont hold your breath about DM  changing the way we play.......It will cost us promotion and him his job,if he carrys on...I hope i have to eat my words come 4-45 today  and the rest of the season come to that...

9 minutes ago, parajack said:

Dont hold your breath about DM  changing the way we play.......It will cost us promotion and him his job,if he carrys on...I hope i have to eat my words come 4-45 today  and the rest of the season come to that...

I think he has to change, I think the Penny may have dropped that we don’t have the personal to do it 

• Thanks 1