Encroachment - Penalties

Just now, HootHoot said:

It really is. Tell me how encroachment cost us the game? 

The offside yeah but we can't be blaming bad officiating for our results. Good teams look at that and pick their heads up. We didn't I'm afraid.

The offside cost us the game- we scored 2 perfectly good goals which would usually win you the game but had one ruled out due to poor incompetence. So to beat Shrewsbury we gotta score 3 goals which is a tall ask in any league game.

The encroachment is ridiculous too- it's a rule for a reason, it's gonna affect Bannan taking a penalty if he can hear players just behind him as he strikes the ball

1 minute ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

The offside cost us the game- we scored 2 perfectly good goals which would usually win you the game but had one ruled out due to poor incompetence. So to beat Shrewsbury we gotta score 3 goals which is a tall ask in any league game.

The encroachment is ridiculous too- it's a rule for a reason, it's gonna affect Bannan taking a penalty if he can hear players just behind him as he strikes the ball

Let's not make excuses for what was a poor penalty. 

Scoring 3 goals is tough yet Plymouth managed that last match against us? 

We had plenty of chances we just couldn't finish them. Bad officiating yes but let's not act like that was the only reason we lost that match.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, HootHoot said:

Let's not make excuses for what was a poor penalty. 

Scoring 3 goals is tough yet Plymouth managed that last match against us? 

We had plenty of chances we just couldn't finish them. Bad officiating yes but let's not act like that was the only reason we lost that match.

Yes it was a poor penalty, potentially part of that was the encroachment by the opposition.

I never said it was the only reason but you must surely see it makes the task very difficult having perfectly good goals ruled out.

4 hours ago, Comeonwednesday said:

Anyone know what the law is for encroachment if the taking player misses the target.

To me it looks like the pen’ should have been retaken.

Both Ref and Lino are in good positions to see, are there any Ref’s on Owlstalk who would care to comment?

I know these things are supposed to even themselves out during a season but at the time they are frustrating. The miss certainly changed the game.

image.png.aa2e141c444a07c45e1c2412e062d136.png

They wouldn’t have done anything as the were shambolic yesterday. 

1 hour ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

what a joke

good spot o/p

it's not really clutching at straws these are actual mistakes by the referees that have cost us the game. We literally scored 2 goals but only got 1 

Agree….I’d say clutching at straws is when a player is just inside the area.

When you’re talking about inches then you can understand the odd mistake

but that’s an obvious encroachment….normally (when it’s an a more extreme case) these are re-taken.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, beswetherick said:

Just watched the highlights and took a screenshot before Bannan’s foot even touched the ball - at least two of their players are well inside the box and the ref appears to be looking straight at them! Pure incompetence. What’s the point in the ref and linesman being positioned where they are if they can’t see an opposition player clearly 2 yards inside the box before the kick’s been taken?

89B07A8A-5AAE-481C-AD33-FB1DC9916F8B.png.935a1d378819a32fa56b596fe26fcf0f.png

Can clearly see the assistant on the junction of penalty area and goal line. Flag should have been raised to indicate the encroachment offence….it’s obvious that League One just can’t get the staff!
I blame COVID.

1 hour ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

Yes it was a poor penalty, potentially part of that was the encroachment by the opposition.

I never said it was the only reason but you must surely see it makes the task very difficult having perfectly good goals ruled out.

It does make it difficult I agree. But that's a case of do the players have the mentality? When things don't don't our way, our players for as long as I can remember, drop their heads and feel sorry for themselves.

I just don't understand it

2 hours ago, beswetherick said:

Just watched the highlights and took a screenshot before Bannan’s foot even touched the ball - at least two of their players are well inside the box and the ref appears to be looking straight at them! Pure incompetence. What’s the point in the ref and linesman being positioned where they are if they can’t see an opposition player clearly 2 yards inside the box before the kick’s been taken?

89B07A8A-5AAE-481C-AD33-FB1DC9916F8B.png.935a1d378819a32fa56b596fe26fcf0f.png

Not only is the ref looking at them he is actually indicating for them not to encroach ffs. 

• Haha 2

36 minutes ago, 4evaowl said:

It’s a law that is rarely enforced

27 minutes ago, OhForAnotherShez said:

encroachment is never applied. If it was they would be very long games.

it happens almost every penalty if you look for it.

It is in the Premier League by VAR, any encroachment by the defenders and they will flag it up if the penalty is missed.

In the EFL it's down to the competence or incompetence of the referee.

5 minutes ago, Buxtongent said:

Would we even be claoming encroachment if Bannan had scored? And surely the only area Bannan should have been concentrating on is the area enclosed by the goal posts -18ft x 8ft He didn't even hit that. Let's not blame incompetent Officials.

and the post are even wider than that!😉

24ft x 8ft (or to remember easier 8yds x 8ft)

1 hour ago, soldierboyblue said:

Well the linesman is supposed to watch the keeper for being on the line and the ref is supposed to watch for encroachment. That is not just over the line its a few yards

Sure, using the photo and the letter of the law, if it goes in,Wednesday should retake it as there is a player encroaching. 

• Like 2