Encroachment - Penalties

27 minutes ago, Buxtongent said:

Would we even be claoming encroachment if Bannan had scored? And surely the only area Bannan should have been concentrating on is the area enclosed by the goal posts -18ft x 8ft He didn't even hit that. Let's not blame incompetent Officials.

The encroachment law doesn’t come into effect if the penalty is scored, unless the encroachment is from the penalty taker’s teammate(s), so if Bannan had scored it most likely wouldn’t have been retaken anyway because the most obvious encroachment was from a Shrewsbury player.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, punkskaphil said:

The encroachment law doesn’t come into effect if the penalty is scored, unless the encroachment is from the penalty taker’s teammate(s), so if Bannan had scored it most likely wouldn’t have been retaken anyway because the most obvious encroachment was from a Shrewsbury player.

But I thought you were all for applying the laws of the game?  I suspect these make no mention of “the most obvious encroachment”.  Personally I would stop looking for soft excuses when things don’t go our way.

1 hour ago, Steve Down South said:

But I thought you were all for applying the laws of the game?  I suspect these make no mention of “the most obvious encroachment”.  Personally I would stop looking for soft excuses when things don’t go our way.

When did I make any excuses?

12 hours ago, OhForAnotherShez said:

and the post are even wider than that!😉

24ft x 8ft (or to remember easier 8yds x 8ft)

So That's why we can't score! 😶

We've been trying for years to hit a smaller goal than is provided! 

Sorry. My mistake about the actual size. Should remember. I played in goal often enough. . No wonder |i let so many goals in.

You do realise that you've not improved the position for the Kicker of course

As for encroachment. The Ref is supposed to signal for the kick to be taken only after he is satisfied, and then the kicker can take the kick. Surely, if players re encroaching to the extent where it is going to distract him, the Kicker can stop his run up, and ask the Ref to send them backBut it is still no excuse for the player not being able to find the target! 

Just one of the laws of the game that refs rarely enforce.

Here is the FA law

image.png.d60dd08fbad06353219772d6ce4f8556.png
My pet hate is this one;

"The Laws of the Game require that after a foul is committed, the team committing the foul MUST immediately retreat 10 yards and not attempt to prevent or delay the team that was fouled from restarting play."

All teams do the exact opposite and are NEVER punished.

Diving goes unpunished too even though the authorities said they would clamp down.

• Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, Steve Down South said:

Maybe not you specifically, more a comment on the thread as a whole.  I think the encroachment is an irrelevance.

You're right, especially as there's no guarantee the retaken penalty would've been scored anyway. But the fact remains that it should've been retaken.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Steve Down South said:

Maybe not you specifically, more a comment on the thread as a whole.  I think the encroachment is an irrelevance.

No-one is saying the penalty was missed or the game drawn because of the encroachment. It is not an irrelevance though. The ref did not apply the law. At least 3 of their players have both feet inside the area before the kick is taken.  One or more of our players may have had a toe inside the box, hard to tell. In either instance the rules are crystal clear, the penalty should have been re taken. (and their 3 players sent off😁)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Fully agree 31st.

By the way off topic I know… but….

I’m guessing that 31/12/1966 was your first match ?

The result for those not of a certain vintage was 6-1 to Wednesday.

It was my first match, was it yours ?

If only I’d known a lifetime of ups and downs was to follow 😊

image.png.9ea5779d9b6eb7dc0f5d0f8b325cc944.png

I read a debate on a similar penalty the other day.

Several people were saying that the rule was now that it only counted as encroachment if they got involved in the rebound.

No idea if it is true or not, and I'd not heard it before the other day. But you do seem to see more unpunished encroachment these days.

I remember in the woman's world cup the other year when all of those penalties kept being retaken for keepers leaving there lines. At the same time there was loads of encroachment and the VAR never did anything about it. It happened to Scotland in their final group game when a save was retaken, but there were 5 attacking players in the box when the penalty was retaken.

3 hours ago, Leaping Lannys Perm said:

I read a debate on a similar penalty the other day.

Several people were saying that the rule was now that it only counted as encroachment if they got involved in the rebound.

That’s not mentioned in the current Laws of the Game. If a defending player encroaches then it has to be retaken (unless the penalty is scored). If players of both teams encroach then it has to be retaken, regardless of whether it was scored or not.

• Like 1