Encroachment - Penalties

Anyone know what the law is for encroachment if the taking player misses the target.

To me it looks like the pen’ should have been retaken.

Both Ref and Lino are in good positions to see, are there any Ref’s on Owlstalk who would care to comment?

I know these things are supposed to even themselves out during a season but at the time they are frustrating. The miss certainly changed the game.

image.png.aa2e141c444a07c45e1c2412e062d136.png

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Comeonwednesday said:

Anyone know what the law is for encroachment if the taking player misses the target.

To me it looks like the pen’ should have been retaken.

Both Ref and Lino are in good positions to see, are there any Ref’s on Owlstalk who would care to comment?

I know these things are supposed to even themselves out during a season but at the time they are frustrating. The miss certainly changed the game.

image.png.aa2e141c444a07c45e1c2412e062d136.png

The encroachment didn’t affect the result of the penalty. If the keeper parried it back out/it hit the post and came back into play and the Shrewsbury players got to the ball first then there’s a case for having it retaken. Otherwise it really didn’t matter.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Westfield Owl said:

Grasping at straws.

We should be beating the likes of Shrewsbury.

Absolutely. The officials should also be capable of doing their job properly.

We didn’t win yesterday because we didn’t take our chances… but… the officials made numerous errors throughout the game - including disallowing a perfectly good goal - which influenced the outcome of the match

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, alanharper said:

And our "offside" winning goal would have counted.

But some people still say VAR is bad for the game... 

It is bad for the game.

It is easy to criticise it when we have some of the ridiculous inconsistent VAR decisions on fouls, or stupid offsides drawing lines on armpits.

But I stand by this opinion even on days like today, when we had an error by a linesman. I would rather suffer an error by a linesman one in every 10 games than have every goal we score ruined by waiting 2 minutes to celebrate while a load of people 100 miles away desperately try to justify their existence.

• Like 8

16 minutes ago, beswetherick said:

Great spot by the way OP. One of their players is pretty much level with where Bannan is!

Agree, however it’s not accurate as the ball has already left Bannan’s foot.

The photo should be taken at the point the ball initially touches BB’s foot.

However even taking into account the half second delay in taking the still shot. There’s one guy at the top that has encroached so far into the area that unless he’s an Usian Bolt type sprinter he must have started his run before the penalty was struck.

• Like 1

The officials yesterday did not understand the rules, my guess is if you had sat them down and had an exam on rules of the game they would have failed miserably. Another moan you don't stop the game for players going down with cramp, and as for being able to take a quick free kick absolutely zero chance which is a joke.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sheffsteel said:

Agree, however it’s not accurate as the ball has already left Bannan’s foot.

The photo should be taken at the point the ball initially touches BB’s foot.

However even taking into account the half second delay in taking the still shot. There’s one guy at the top that has encroached so far into the area that unless he’s an Usian Bolt type sprinter he must have started his run before the penalty was struck.

Just watched the highlights and took a screenshot before Bannan’s foot even touched the ball - at least two of their players are well inside the box and the ref appears to be looking straight at them! Pure incompetence. What’s the point in the ref and linesman being positioned where they are if they can’t see an opposition player clearly 2 yards inside the box before the kick’s been taken?

89B07A8A-5AAE-481C-AD33-FB1DC9916F8B.png.935a1d378819a32fa56b596fe26fcf0f.png

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, beswetherick said:

Just watched the highlights and took a screenshot before Bannan’s foot even touched the ball - at least two of their players are well inside the box and the ref appears to be looking straight at them! Pure incompetence. What’s the point in the ref and linesman being positioned where they are if they can’t see an opposition player clearly 2 yards inside the box before the kick’s been taken?

89B07A8A-5AAE-481C-AD33-FB1DC9916F8B.png.935a1d378819a32fa56b596fe26fcf0f.png

what a joke

good spot o/p

2 minutes ago, Andrew_Owl said:

13968917952_171b7cf07f_b.jpg.a185fe2fdb279f0ab6aebfc9633e5443.jpg

it's not really clutching at straws these are actual mistakes by the referees that have cost us the game. We literally scored 2 goals but only got 1 

4 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

what a joke

good spot o/p

it's not really clutching at straws these are actual mistakes by the referees that have cost us the game. We literally scored 2 goals but only got 1 

It really is. Tell me how encroachment cost us the game? 

The offside yeah but we can't be blaming bad officiating for our results. Good teams look at that and pick their heads up. We didn't I'm afraid.

6 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

It really is clutching at straws, Bannan hit that penalty wide, the encroaching players had nothing to do with that. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1