On this day in 2019 - Garry Monk…

16 hours ago, jamthesun said:

What testicles in this thread. 

Monk was poo . He’s never won anything as a manager. 

This poo about players not being paid was in Monk’s second season. In his first, once he had time to implement his ideas, he took the team from 3rd to practically relegation. 

Stop trying to rewrite history. 

The bad eggs thing promoted by Joss. Didn’t seem to stop Bruce getting results with those players. 

Monk is a bad manager and the fact he is still unemployed proves it. 

Garry Monk is the worst thing to happen to this club in a long long time. Worst manager I have seen and there have been some bad ones.

Absolutely not a likeable bloke either. Darren Moore is doing a grand job at recovering from the poo show that Monk created.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, jamthesun said:

What testicles in this thread. 

Monk was poo . He’s never won anything as a manager. 

This poo about players not being paid was in Monk’s second season. In his first, once he had time to implement his ideas, he took the team from 3rd to practically relegation. 

Stop trying to rewrite history. 

The bad eggs thing promoted by Joss. Didn’t seem to stop Bruce getting results with those players. 

Monk is a bad manager and the fact he is still unemployed proves it. 

Dec 2019 is the first instance of reports in the press about players wages not being correct so not just in the second season at all.
I also like how you state how monk took the team from 3rd but forget to mention he was the manager that got us there in the first place. 

And then you say “stop trying to rewrite history” 😂

• Like 1
  • Love 2

47 minutes ago, Dutch McLovin said:

Were we in league one last year ?

No 

we were in the championship until we sacked monk, brought back ex players and hired a succession of managers which as a collective saw our points per game get worse which then ended up with us getting relegated.

• Like 1

Guest LondonOwl313
1 minute ago, 83owl said:

No 

we were in the championship until we sacked monk, brought back ex players and hired a succession of managers which as a collective saw our points per game get worse which then ended up with us getting relegated.

He won 7 games out of his last 34 in charge so it was only going one way under him and we had to make the change. 

We’d have done better with Westwood and Hutchinson in the side than not, Hutchinson didn’t come back until January and Westwood was too injury prone, and it can’t have helped his fitness that he was sat at home for a year because of an inept manager.

53 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

He won 7 games out of his last 34 in charge so it was only going one way under him and we had to make the change. 

We’d have done better with Westwood and Hutchinson in the side than not, Hutchinson didn’t come back until January and Westwood was too injury prone, and it can’t have helped his fitness that he was sat at home for a year because of an inept manager.

If Monk was sacked the season before last or at least at the end of it we would have been in a much better position.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A poor manager with a poor record at every club he's been at. Always came accross badly in interviews and was hard to warm too. His sacking at Boro for his dodgy dealings was another negative against him.

He certainly had a tough situation to work in but it's still hard to defend him. His continued unemployment speaks volumes. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but resting Fletcher against Brighton in the cup game where he got injured might have seen us comfortably finish in mid-table or even sniffing around the play-offs. He was in the form of his life goal scoring wise and his hold up play was also a key to the way we defended under GM. Maybe the EFL have been tempted to apply the points deduction that season if we'd have had a few more points on the board like when Monk was at Brum.

I honestly think, it’s just my personal opinion, that Monk has done as much damage to the club as Pleat did. The way to judge a manager is what he started with, and what he ended with. Those two both started with decent well motivated squads, and left far weaker totally demoralised squads.

Yes there’s always other factors, but in my life time, those two oversaw the most dramatic demise, and both left a legacy that took a lot of turning round.

Lots of managers come and go with marginal changes. Some, the Charlton Wilkinson’s and Atkinson’s make massive improvements. Some do some real damage, and Monk and Pleat are the worst offenders in my opinion.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Plonk said:

I honestly think, it’s just my personal opinion, that Monk has done as much damage to the club as Pleat did. The way to judge a manager is what he started with, and what he ended with. Those two both started with decent well motivated squads, and left far weaker totally demoralised squads.

Yes there’s always other factors, but in my life time, those two oversaw the most dramatic demise, and both left a legacy that took a lot of turning round.

Lots of managers come and go with marginal changes. Some, the Charlton Wilkinson’s and Atkinson’s make massive improvements. Some do some real damage, and Monk and Pleat are the worst offenders in my opinion.

An astonishing post.

chris Turner and Alan Irvine- relegated with no points deductions and had a good go at relegating us again. Peter eustace and tony pulis , barely won a game between them.

I wonder why the squad was weaker and demoralised from December 2019 onwards ?

• Like 2
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Whilst I agree there weren’t any signs that things were looking to improve the fact remains that every manager that has come in since has done considerably worse so how people say he was the worst manager ever is beyond me. 

The club reportedly recieved a number of offers for KW to go out on loan and Monk said he was happy to let him go, there’s only one person to blame for his fitness being poor after sitting at home for a year. 

I do find it strange that Monk is chastised for trying to cut loose ageing overpaid injury prone players whilst now Moore is lauded for doing exactly that but in a division below.

• Love 1

On 06/09/2021 at 16:51, DeBilde'sTea said:

Started well and once we hit the top 3 it all went to pot. Still can't get my head around it. 

Pulis was the darkest period though. We were so unbelievably broken at that point. 

No idea how Pulis has got to where he is (was?).

Utter cow tripe for us

4 hours ago, mcmigo said:

An astonishing post.

chris Turner and Alan Irvine- relegated with no points deductions and had a good go at relegating us again. Peter eustace and tony pulis , barely won a game between them.

Hang on hang on. You were one of the posters who said monk needed more time before he could be judged. Yet you quote Eustace ( who had 17 games I think) and Pullis ( who had ten)  as worse than Monk, and Turner who took over a shocking side but still managed to find a few gems. Even Irvine, who took over a crap side and left a crap side. If that’s your defence of Monk then fair enough.

My post was about the damage done. I don’t believe Turner or even Irvine did as much damage as monk and pleat. And Eustace or Pullis didn’t have time to do any damage. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mcmigo said:

An astonishing post.

Might be something to do with not being paid on time. Call it a hunch.

In most workplaces if you don’t get paid for your work at the end of the month, are you spirited and motivated? 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, 83owl said:

Dec 2019 is the first instance of reports in the press about players wages not being correct so not just in the second season at all.
I also like how you state how monk took the team from 3rd but forget to mention he was the manager that got us there in the first place. 

And then you say “stop trying to rewrite history” 😂

I found one report about wages in 19/20 season:

"Sheffield Wednesday players’ November salaries were initially only partially paid, writes Alan Nixon in his Sun on Sunday column.

It is claimed the Owls’ squad received a maximum of £17,000 and were told the rest would be delayed, before the club settled the outstanding amount days later."

There was another report in July 2020 suggesting that June's wages weren't paid in full.

If I've missed something then I'm happy to be corrected.

This does not to me suggest that unpaid wages were, or should  have been a factor in the team's performance in that season.

I'm not excusing DC for the financial management of the club but unless you can present evidence that I've missed I hold that wages were not a major factor in the 19/20 season.

The reason that I didn't mention Monk getting us to 3rd was because someone else in the thread pointed out that Monk himself said at that time that he hadn't had time to implement his ideas. We can only conclude from that that the team were still doing what they had been shown to do by the previous manager.

Monk was a terrible manager.

Unless of course you know different......................

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1