On this day in 2019 - Garry Monk…

On 06/09/2021 at 09:19, mcmigo said:

Did a brilliant job to recover from Bruce quitting on the eve of the season, and got us up to 3rd. 

The Chairman then decided to stop paying players, and everything went wrong.  Worth noting that Moore and Pulis also could not get a tune out of players not being paid.  

Monk was our best shot of staying up last season, with a pragmatic and defensive way of playing that scraped together over a point a game.  That recognised the lack of firepower in the squad, and mental strength of a squad that was unable to recover from going a goal behind.  The subsequent managers simply did not understand how shot the squad was, recalled Hutchinson and Westwood, conceded more goals and got us relegated.

WTF:

• Like 1

Guest LondonOwl313
5 hours ago, jamthesun said:

I found one report about wages in 19/20 season:

"Sheffield Wednesday players’ November salaries were initially only partially paid, writes Alan Nixon in his Sun on Sunday column.

It is claimed the Owls’ squad received a maximum of £17,000 and were told the rest would be delayed, before the club settled the outstanding amount days later."

There was another report in July 2020 suggesting that June's wages weren't paid in full.

If I've missed something then I'm happy to be corrected.

This does not to me suggest that unpaid wages were, or should  have been a factor in the team's performance in that season.

I'm not excusing DC for the financial management of the club but unless you can present evidence that I've missed I hold that wages were not a major factor in the 19/20 season.

The reason that I didn't mention Monk getting us to 3rd was because someone else in the thread pointed out that Monk himself said at that time that he hadn't had time to implement his ideas. We can only conclude from that that the team were still doing what they had been shown to do by the previous manager.

Monk was a terrible manager.

Unless of course you know different......................

I wouldn’t conclude that.. it’s just the sort of thing that a bullshitter manager would say to buy himself time. If results weren’t good early doors he was leaving the excuse of ‘they're still learning my ideas’ there to be used, that’s all. 

I think he’d have been pleasantly surprised to be 3rd, but we were very lucky with a lot of results in that period.. didn’t play well and we were 3rd for one game, the rest of the time we were in and out of the play offs.

That was basically where we were at as a squad at the time. As soon as Fletcher got injured and he binned off Westwood and Hutchinson, which all happened around the same time, results nose dived.

9 hours ago, jamthesun said:

I found one report about wages in 19/20 season:

"Sheffield Wednesday players’ November salaries were initially only partially paid, writes Alan Nixon in his Sun on Sunday column.

It is claimed the Owls’ squad received a maximum of £17,000 and were told the rest would be delayed, before the club settled the outstanding amount days later."

There was another report in July 2020 suggesting that June's wages weren't paid in full.

If I've missed something then I'm happy to be corrected.

This does not to me suggest that unpaid wages were, or should  have been a factor in the team's performance in that season.

So despite the situation being bad enough in November that year for it to reach the press you don’t believe this would have been a factor in the teams performance? You honestly think that everything was fine and back to normal and the players just forgot about it until June that year just because there wasn’t another report in the press?

I'm not excusing DC for the financial management of the club but unless you can present evidence that I've missed I hold that wages were not a major factor in the 19/20 season.

The reason that I didn't mention Monk getting us to 3rd was because someone else in the thread pointed out that Monk himself said at that time that he hadn't had time to implement his ideas. We can only conclude from that that the team were still doing what they had been shown to do by the previous manager.

Ah right so Pulis was terrible because he had just taken over and the players were still working under monks ideas.

Moore was terrible last season because he had just taken over and the players were still working under Pulis’s ideas.

Monk was a terrible manager.

Unless of course you know different......................

• Like 1

On 09/09/2021 at 10:24, 83owl said:

So despite the situation being bad enough in November that year for it to reach the press you don’t believe this would have been a factor in the teams performance? You honestly think that everything was fine and back to normal and the players just forgot about it until June that year just because there wasn’t another report in the press?

Ah right so Pulis was terrible because he had just taken over and the players were still working under monks ideas.

Moore was terrible last season because he had just taken over and the players were still working under Pulis’s ideas.

Still unemployed. Won nothing. 

should have been sacked at the end of his first season 

I’m bored now with the Monk lovers. You are deluded. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jamthesun said:

Still unemployed. Won nothing. 

should have been sacked at the end of his first season 

I’m bored now with the Monk lovers. You are deluded. 

Yes it was crap finishing 16th. Much better getting relegated instead.

• Like 2

On 16/09/2021 at 12:24, 83owl said:

Valid point well presented 

Dear oh dear. 

Are you arguing that Monk is a good manager? If so present your evidence. 

I think he is rubbish. My evidence is that he has never achieved anything as a manager and couldn’t man manage players effectively. Evidence Big ego players he couldn’t control and telling the players they were rubbish and they wouldn’t be here the following season. 

Present your evidence. 

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, jamthesun said:

Dear oh dear. 

Are you arguing that Monk is a good manager? If so present your evidence. 

I think he is rubbish. My evidence is that he has never achieved anything as a manager and couldn’t man manage players effectively. Evidence Big ego players he couldn’t control and telling the players they were rubbish and they wouldn’t be here the following season. 

Present your evidence. 

I’m not sure how making statements is now classed as “evidence” but I’ll attempt to Wade through the absolute crap you’ve just posted.

Never achieved anything as a manager - Managed Swansea in the knockout stages of the Europa league. Managed them to an 8th place PL finish which is their highest PL finish in the history of their club.

Big ego players he couldn’t control - Like who exactly?
FF who got publicly called out by our own captain for not being bothered. Left and went to Italy and has since been seen on a football pitch less often than Massimo Luongo.

Westwood - Brought back in and proceeded to either be injured or make a number of gaffes leading to goals and as a consequence conceded more goals per game than Dawson who he replaced.

Hutchinson - Brought back and showed quite clearly that he isn’t up to the standard of championship football. 

Fact is that whilst under his management  even with DC not paying the players we finished 16th in the championship. We then had to endure a summer of poor recruitment mainly due to the afore mentioned financial mismanagement as well as a 12 point deduction. 

Everyone screamed for monk to be sacked yet the fact is since he has we have picked up less points per game

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, 83owl said:

I’m not sure how making statements is now classed as “evidence” but I’ll attempt to Wade through the absolute crap you’ve just posted.

Never achieved anything as a manager - Managed Swansea in the knockout stages of the Europa league. Managed them to an 8th place PL finish which is their highest PL finish in the history of their club.

FF who got publicly called out by our own captain for not being bothered. Left and went to Italy and has since been seen on a football pitch less often than Massimo Luongo.

Westwood - Brought back in and proceeded to either be injured or make a number of gaffes leading to goals and as a consequence conceded more goals per game than Dawson who he replaced.

Hutchinson - Brought back and showed quite clearly that he isn’t up to the standard of championship football. 

Fact is that whilst under his management  even with DC not paying the players we finished 16th in the championship. We then had to endure a summer of poor recruitment mainly due to the afore mentioned financial mismanagement as well as a 12 point deduction. 

Everyone screamed for monk to be sacked yet the fact is since he has we have picked up less points per game

@Jim hounded him out and we have all suffered as a consequence 

Owlstalk Shop

3 hours ago, 83owl said:

The longest he’s managed any club is 22 months and that includes 3 months as interim. Typically he’s been sacked after less than 18 months.

If he was as good as you believe he is that wouldn’t be the case.

19 hours ago, jamthesun said:

The longest he’s managed any club is 22 months and that includes 3 months as interim. Typically he’s been sacked after less than 18 months.

If he was as good as you believe he is that wouldn’t be the case.

Show me one of my posts where I’ve said I think he’s a good manager.

The article below shows the lifespan of managers at the start of the 19-20 season. The average of championship managers was 1year and 1 week so your “evidence” of him being sacked typically before 18 months showing him to be a poor manager quite simply isn’t true, in fact it shows he lasts longer than average.

https://sqaf.club/average-premier-league-championship-manager-time-in-job/

• Like 1

On 06/09/2021 at 12:30, @owlstalk said:

41DBC895-B59A-4483-9DC9-B591B5EF643C.jpeg

Garry Monk was appointed as manager, replacing Steve Bruce. 

Long has it been said, “Never trust a man whose eyes are too close together!”

There is something deeply sinister about those eyes and that thin mouth that clearly doesn’t know how to smile…reminds me of Grouty in Porridge.