Premier League 21/22

8 hours ago, owls maniac said:

West Ham at it again 

I played Moyes' achievements down a bit last season. They did very well to finish 6th but I didn't think it was amazing purely becaase some of the regulars like Arsenal and Spurs were in a bit of turmoil. I'd expect West Ham to be looking to finish 8-12th most seasons given the teams in the PL in recent seasons.

To keep pushing, sustaining and improving to where they are now though is great work. I'd expect Spurs & Arsenal to improve this season and push West Ham back towards those mid-table positions. I hope they prove me wrong and get top 6 again. They are direct at times and certainly make the most of set pieces but there's nothing wrong with that and it shouldn't be sneered at, even if Klopp doesn't like it. They play to their strengths and have some quality & skill up top in Bowen and Benrahma, with the power of Antonio. 

They have a settled side and hardly make any changes to it, unless forced with injury or suspension. The concern is probably that one or two key injuries might hamper them as the strength in depth in one or two areas is not great.   

Guest Mcguigan
6 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Moyes spent nearly £30M on Fellaini. He has learned a lot since then and is a much better manager for his experiences but trying to take his style at Everton to Old Trafford was doomed from the start. 

What he’d give to be able to sign Fellaini for West Ham now. He’d be perfect for them.

7 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Moyes spent nearly £30M on Fellaini. He has learned a lot since then and is a much better manager for his experiences but trying to take his style at Everton to Old Trafford was doomed from the start. 

I don’t think Fellaini was that bad to be honest and he wouldn’t look out of place in this side certainly I’d have him over Matic! The thing is though Man Utd have done anything anyway so if they did give Moyes a bit longer he wouldn’t have done much worse than anyone else. I think he was left with a poor side that were able to excel themselves due to Fergie.

• Like 2

Classic Klopp to spit the dummy out once Liverpool get beat. He’s always quick to slag off the English game as well when he thinks it’s too physical. Keepers get ridiculous levels of protection nowadays, it wasn’t anyone else’s fault that his keeper made a mess of every goal in that game. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, owls maniac said:

Classic Klopp to spit the dummy out once Liverpool get beat. He’s always quick to slag off the English game as well when he thinks it’s too physical. Keepers get ridiculous levels of protection nowadays, it wasn’t anyone else’s fault that his keeper made a mess of every goal in that game. 

I think it’s has way of managing the team.

He knows Alisson was at fault for all 3 goals. If he comes out and blames the officials, it takes the pressure off a little.

4 hours ago, Southie_Owl said:

Or where we’d be if we’d appointed Moyes when we had a couple of chances in the past few years. 

Don’t think we ever had a realistic chance of landing Moyes tbh. Would’ve been awesome but I don’t think he would’ve taken a Champ job, even when it looked like he was a busted flush 

2 hours ago, FreshOwl said:

People keep saying they can understand Neville not calling out Ole because they’re mates 

Are they even good mates though? or simply ex teammates? 

it’s all so weird 

Well they’re close enough that he doesn’t want to criticise Ole and very defensive about him

5 hours ago, FreshOwl said:

People keep saying they can understand Neville not calling out Ole because they’re mates 

Are they even good mates though? or simply ex teammates? 

it’s all so weird 

I don't think it is that weird tbh. 

I'm not sure why there is such an obsession with Neville going on Sky TV and calling for a mate/ex-teammate to be fired. 

Yes, I think some of his analysis/criticism of Man U is a bit off atm, but I still think the level of criticism he is getting from some supposed Man U "fans" is a bit OTT. 

At the end of the day, there is no chance that Carragher would be calling for Stevie G's head if it was a similar situation. 

Guest Mcguigan
6 hours ago, FreshOwl said:

Regarding Dean Smith: imagine performing exceptionally in your job for 2 1/2 years, only to get sacked after 1 poor month? Very disappointed with Villa 

He had a Villa squad that should have cruised to promotion as Champions yet only finished 5th. His first season in the PL after spending over £150m more, they avoided relegation by a VAR decision.

Bit of a managerial myth for me is Dean Smith.