Charlton Ath -V- Wednesday OMDT

16 minutes ago, kristmace said:

Absolutely. We've been good at the back. Our best attacking options aren't even playing. 

A good away point. 

If one or two charlton players had a boot on the right foot we would have lost 2-0 mate.

Abysmal performance..and we were worse.

Didn't see one bright spark, never once thought he can play a bit...he might come good etc etc..

Though it might have been just a bad day at the office.

Twas raining reyt bad..😒

• Haha 1

Before the game would've been happy with a point.

First half - Completely controlled it, we picked up second balls and played some really nice football at times, all that was missing was testing their goalkeeper.

Charlton didn't cause us many problems, the only danger was Stockley and their RW who gave Palmer a game.

Second half - Complete opposite, we started slow and gave Charlton the confidence to come back into the game and they started to overrun us.

The longer the game went on we still hadn't created enough or anything at all bar a late run from Bannan and our first attempt on target a weak header from Marvin Johnson in the 86th minute.

It's going to take time and patience, but it's not excuse for not creating chances also to note one fault i've had with Darren Moore previously (Rotherham at Home springs to mind) his substitutions or lack of them, it was evident we needed a change and there was no reason we couldn't use all 3 to try and change the game, i'd have like to have seen Luongo to try and regain the middle of the park or even a bit of positivity for the last 10-15 minutes and bring on Corbeanu.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sherlyegg said:

If one or two charlton players had a boot on the right foot we would have lost 2-0 mate.

Abysmal performance..and we were worse.

Didn't see one bright spark, never once thought he can play a bit...he might come good etc etc..

Though it might have been just a bad day at the office.

Twas raining reyt bad..😒

Cheer up.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Dan™ said:

I don't usually like singling out players in a negative way, but because you've said that I have to say that I thought Palmer was really really poor today. Won nothing in the air, gave away a few stupid free kicks when he was never going to win the ball and offered nothing going forwards. Was the same last week against Huddersfield.

He was really impressive in the Championship a couple of seasons ago, so I thought this step down would give him an opportunity to regain some form, but he's getting worse. Hopefully against weaker opposition he'll be good enough, I've not completely written him off.

Hese always been middle of the road, getting older and no better. 

Of the team that started today

5 were making their league debut(including Hunt)

Green started 3 games, Iorfa 9

Palmer had 31, Hutchinson 22 (pretty much every game since his return), Patterson  34 and Bannan 46

so really, only 4 of the starting line up were regulars last year and one of those was off after 10 minutes. Hardly a surprise that much of the time it seemed like they’d never met each other.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dan™ said:

I don't usually like singling out players in a negative way, but because you've said that I have to say that I thought Palmer was really really poor today. Won nothing in the air, gave away a few stupid free kicks when he was never going to win the ball and offered nothing going forwards. Was the same last week against Huddersfield.

He was really impressive in the Championship a couple of seasons ago, so I thought this step down would give him an opportunity to regain some form, but he's getting worse. Hopefully against weaker opposition he'll be good enough, I've not completely written him off.

Agreed. I'd like to see Brown at left back when we got a fully fit side. I think Palmer was poor today. 

1 minute ago, debram said:

As light as day, we are OK up to the final third, solid defence but hardly a goal in us. 

That's where the little things have to be worked on though isn't it.  Defensive pairings gel quicker than attacking pairings because there's a course to follow. Attacking relies so much on those moments of creativity and flair. 

There are learned and rehearsed movements of course, and they will come. Kamberi is barely through the door. Shodipo has the knock. Gregory probably doesn't know everyones name yet.

As they train and the games get played they'll start gelling.

• Like 2

Solid display, a point away from home is ok. 

Didn't expect us to offer anything going forward, but it will come, especially when we have a fuller squad available.

Thought we showed the better quality today, but they looked more dangerous. Just shows the difference a good striker makes. 

I suspect match fitness forced us to start the game with a LB and RB up front and finish it with two LB's in the front three. I'm sure once more attackers are available, will look a lot better 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

He’s had 90 minutes!??

I'm talking over two seasons he's been declining, in my opinion. Like I say, hopefully against weaker opposition in this league he'll be enough for where we want to be finishing, but he was very disappointing again today. Fingers crossed it was just a one-off 90 minutes and he'll boss it next week. I don't see Moore dropping him.

Personally I was quite impressed with Brown (aside from him not staying on side). If he's decent enough in defence I'd be playing him at LB with another winger ahead of him. To be fair to Palmer he is better on the right, but Hunt's way ahead of him on that side.

Just now, caz92 said:

Both teams were defensively solid and had moments to win the game but neither can really say they deserved three points. Both teams have a good base in place but are still waiting to blend in new attacking options and it showed.

From the oppo perspective, I thought Adeniran was good for your lot as well as Hutchinson and Iorfa who handled Stockley really well (most centre backs can’t at this level).

You won’t concede many on that showing and expect you to be right up there challenging once the attacking pieces slot in.

Good luck for the season and see you at Hillsboro in February.

Thank you mate

Thought Stockley played well and is massive isn’t he!

Also Sean Clare gave it everything against us today and put himself about and got stuck in

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

2 minutes ago, sherlyegg said:

That was me being bright as a button and optimistic..moaning proper is yet to come..won't be long.

😄

Give it time.

We will take a bit of time to gel.

We do look well organised so that's something.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

That's where the little things have to be worked on though isn't it.  Defensive pairings gel quicker than attacking pairings because there's a course to follow. Attacking relies so much on those moments of creativity and flair. 

There are learned and rehearsed movements of course, and they will come. Kamberi is barely through the door. Shodipo has the knock. Gregory probably doesn't know everyones name yet.

As they train and the games get played they'll start gelling.

I really hope you're right but you either have it or you don't, you know the score. 

Decent away point for us, Just slightly concerned about the lack of creativity going forward. Plenty of plus points for us in the game, just need to become an attacking force in the future. I’m sure DM will have us sorted in the next few weeks.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Owls77 said:

Happy with a point down there, we’ve basically put a squad together in last 3 weeks.

This really cannot be iterated enough. 

They have literally been thrust together. Especially the attack minded options. 

• Like 1