The Wilderless Years

29 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

His legacy is being wrecked. He should have made a move at the end of that 1st season while his stock was high

Wilder's problem is he was like a kid in a sweet shop in the Premier League and wasted a ton of money. He needs to find a chairman willing to trust him. Failing that he needs to let his ego allow him to manage in the championship or lower.

• Like 1

Sending him out on loan might be a good idea. Get his wages off the books, and if he starts scoring again his price tag will go back up.

so I hope he stays costs them a fortune and continues to be poo. 

• Haha 1

On 27/07/2021 at 22:31, Big Malc said:

If you’ll allow me indulge - I have a record of:

Pigs yearly threads started - 1

Pigs relegations - 1

So here is your thread for the season 2021/22

You’re on a roll mate!

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Couple of things

Wilder isn’t going to be a top contender for a team with a load to spend given his record, regardless of what he thinks

Market for Brewster will be limited, would a PL club take a chance?  Doubt it and then can’t see the Blades loaning to a Championship rival…so where does he go?

1 hour ago, SiJ said:

Honestly, if that story about him going on the lash with the players is true, that would just about sum the bloke up. 

All about self interest and massaging his ego. 

Far too many of their fans drank the Kool-Aid with him and haven't woken up yet. 

What’s that about going on the lash?

49 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

Couple of things

Wilder isn’t going to be a top contender for a team with a load to spend given his record, regardless of what he thinks

Market for Brewster will be limited, would a PL club take a chance?  Doubt it and then can’t see the Blades loaning to a Championship rival…so where does he go?

Had a quick look on Brewsters Wiki page. On loan at Swansea he scored 10 in 20. None in 30 for the blades. I'll be kind to him and say it's the team that's the problem. Noticed another thing that no doubt adds to the idea of Wilder being a top manager Brewster has a £40 million buy back clause which let's face it isn't going to happen. 

Edited by darra

3 minutes ago, darra said:

Had a quick look on Brewsters Wiki page. On loan at Swansea he scored 10 in 20. None in 30 for the blades. I'll be kind to him and say it's the team that's the problem. Noticed another thing that no doubt adds to the idea of Wilder being a top manager Brewster has a £40 million buy back clause which let's face it isn't going to happen. 

Mate don't be harsh.

He got 1 against Carlisle in the cup.

:Chansiri:

1 hour ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Rhodes was incredibly professional during his time at Wednesday. Pretty harsh assessment here.

Again for the love of god, he didn’t decide his transfer fee or wages. The only person you should criticise in the Rhodes debacle is the chairman of the club for paying stupid money for a striker when we already had 6 bloody good ones on the book.

I’ve got a lot of time for Rhodes as a person, so I think it’s really harsh when people speak like he’s the devil. He’s actually a really top bloke who never moaned despite his lack of playing time. 

Never moaned despite his lack of playing time?

Maybe his lack of playing time was as a result of him hardly ever being fit enough to play 90 minutes or start 2 games a week. Huddersfield will find that out over the next 3 years.

Thoroughly professional as a penalty taker when it mattered too!

He may well be a decent bloke and it is not his fault how much we paid him but he certainly didn't prove he was worth it.

2 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Rhodes was incredibly professional during his time at Wednesday. Pretty harsh assessment here.

Again for the love of god, he didn’t decide his transfer fee or wages. The only person you should criticise in the Rhodes debacle is the chairman of the club for paying stupid money for a striker when we already had 6 bloody good ones on the book.

I’ve got a lot of time for Rhodes as a person, so I think it’s really harsh when people speak like he’s the devil. He’s actually a really top bloke who never moaned despite his lack of playing time. 

I think there is a bit of truth here.

Can't blame the lad for signing on the terms offered.  Part of the problem was the formation did not suit him, and there was only one striker who would work alongside him - they were not often played together.

He also was given a starting berth in fits and starts, that doesn't work with someone like Rhodes.

I also know he was great with the fans, especially the kids.

We signed him too late into his career and ruined him.   In hindsight, I honestly believe he would refuse the transfer if he realised what it would do to his career.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Salmonbones said:

Can't blame the lad for signing on the terms offered.  Part of the problem was the formation did not suit him, and there was only one striker who would work alongside him - they were not often played together.

He also was given a starting berth in fits and starts, that doesn't work with someone like Rhodes.

We signed him too late into his career and ruined him.   In hindsight, I honestly believe he would refuse the transfer if he realised what it would do to his career.

No we signed him when he was shot

The guy can barely move

• Like 7

32 minutes ago, Salmonbones said:

A striker on circa £30K a week having signed for a £8M+ fee and he could only play effectively with 1 partner. We had different formations and different approaches under different managers in his 4 years, he was never consistently effective under any of them.

Seems like a genuine good guy but that's not why we bought him.  

I don't agree with Sally and the ingrained prejudice. Chansiri was persuaded by thousands of deluded fans who wanted Rhodes in at any cost when they all felt we had endless pockets and a Premiership promotion that was becconing. 

I remarked after our game against Huddersfield that Rhodes did little other than score all four of their goals lol  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

I don't agree with Sally and the ingrained prejudice. Chansiri was persuaded by thousands of deluded fans who wanted Rhodes in at any cost when they all felt we had endless pockets and a Premiership promotion that was becconing. 

I remarked after our game against Huddersfield that Rhodes did little other than score all four of their goals lol  

Buying a £10m striker and paying him £50k a week for 4 years because it’s what the fans want (and I’m not convinced there was THAT much of a clamour) is an extremely flawed strategy. That doesn’t change Sally’s point that DC is to blame for that signing. 

If that’s how DC does business, I wish I’d have been more vocal about needing a holding midfielder and a wide player with pace after Wembley.

• Like 3

Thought this thread was take the p1ss out of dem blades not discuss Jordan Rhodes. Anyway back to the scrubbers. According to bladesmad one of their scummy fans smacked the udders keeper when sharpe scored and was arrested. But not seen any mention of it elsewhere?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Plonk said:

Thought this thread was take the p1ss out of dem blades not discuss Jordan Rhodes. Anyway back to the scrubbers. According to bladesmad one of their scummy fans smacked the udders keeper when sharpe scored and was arrested. But not seen any mention of it elsewhere?

That's because like the rest of the team he missed.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Never moaned despite his lack of playing time?

Maybe his lack of playing time was as a result of him hardly ever being fit enough to play 90 minutes or start 2 games a week. Huddersfield will find that out over the next 3 years.

Thoroughly professional as a penalty taker when it mattered too!

He may well be a decent bloke and it is not his fault how much we paid him but he certainly didn't prove he was worth it.

He was shipped out on loan. And his goals to game ratio at Wednesday is pretty decent. But yeah let’s just ignore that.

He wasn’t as good as his transfer fee. Terrible business from the club. Incidentally Villa did similar paying 12m for Ross McCormack. At least Rhodes offered more for us than McCormack did for Villa.

Expensive gamble. But again not his fault. From what I saw he always gave his all - just came up short in terms of what we expected. 

As for the penalty thing. He didn’t feel confident. When you’ve got 1 minute to choose your 5 penalty takers. Are you going to go with the lads who are up for taking one or the lads who say they don’t feel confident? Penalties is a lottery. ******** poor to still criticise him for not taking one.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

This is a load of rubbish. An argument that just doesn’t stand up to anything.

• Like 1