UKRAINE vs ENGLAND - Official Matchday Thread

I would keep the back 3 and keeper for consistency.

Take Tripper out and drop Saka into the right hand side of midfield then play one of Foden / Grealish / Mount in the front three with Kane and Sterling.

Hopefully score a couple of goals and then bring Sancho, Rashford & Calvert Lwein on to rest players. Phillips and Rice are on yellow cards so would think about swapping them or bringing them off early.

• Haha 1

I think he will go back to a 4-2-3-1 for this one. He has a decision on which full back to drop, either Walker, trippier or shaw. He may rest a CDM and give Henderson some minutes to freshen it up. He will probably bring Mount back in and Grealish may come in for Saka. 

• Like 1

Guest OwlPastie

Against Germany we went "man for man" with the formation. Against Ukraine I think we just need to play our best side and let them worry about us. 

My side would be:

LINEUP111625135414526.png

Guest LondonOwl313
10 minutes ago, OwlPastie said:

Against Germany we went "man for man" with the formation. Against Ukraine I think we just need to play our best side and let them worry about us. 

My side would be:

LINEUP111625135414526.png

That’s England’s best team but Sancho for Saka. Boregate won’t play that though 

Guest Mcguigan
7 hours ago, LondonOwl313 said:

That’s England’s best team but Sancho for Saka. Boregate won’t play that though 

Best team, yeah of course. 

And what about when Rice gets overrun by a three man midfield cause Grealish and Mount don't track back. 

Rice and Phillips give us the foundation to build attacks whilst at the same time reducing the opponents attack and winning possession back. More so Phillips than Rice. 

Anyone leaving him out after his performances so far should swap to rugby or cricket. 

Guest LondonOwl313
7 minutes ago, Mcguigan said:

And what about when Rice gets overrun by a three man midfield cause Grealish and Mount don't track back. 

Rice and Phillips give us the foundation to build attacks whilst at the same time reducing the opponents attack and winning possession back. More so Phillips than Rice. 

Anyone leaving him out after his performances so far should swap to rugby or cricket. 

We’re playing Ukraine not Brazil.. and we’re overrun in other areas of the pitch (the attacking areas) which is why Kane has looked poor

Guest Mcguigan
13 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

We’re playing Ukraine not Brazil.. and we’re overrun in other areas of the pitch (the attacking areas) which is why Kane has looked poor

So who's going to break up play against Ukraine or win the ball back in centre midfield if we play with Rice just protecting the back four? 

I'll promise you one thing, if the Ukraine manager see's our starting line up without Phillips in it, hell be over the moon and fancy his chances. 

Guest LondonOwl313
2 minutes ago, Mcguigan said:

So who's going to break up play against Ukraine or win the ball back in centre midfield if we play with Rice just protecting the back four? 

I'll promise you one thing, if the Ukraine manager see's our starting line up without Phillips in it, hell be over the moon and fancy his chances. 

Rice will.. plus help from the other midfielders. Teams do play successfully without two holding midfielders 

Guest Mcguigan
28 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Rice will.. plus help from the other midfielders. Teams do play successfully without two holding midfielders 

31 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

OK mate, your opinion an all that. 

But who's covered the most yards this tournament for England or regained most possession. Who's made the most tackles and had the highest percentage of completed passes. Who's broke up opponents play more and who's played the most minutes without us conceding a single goal. 

All that and yet he doesn't get your best starting XI. 

I hope we play 4-3-3 Trippier drops out, with two of Henderson, Rice and Phillips in front of the back four, Rice and Phillips are both on a yellow and one more would put them out of the next game. I would like to see Mount as the attacking central player, Kane ahead of him and Sterling on one side and Foden back on the other side, and give Foden and Mount the instruction to switch if they feel the need to.

As the game opens up Grealish to come in for Foden or Mount and now Sancho's transfer is completed I would like to see him come into the game after an hour.

I still would not be surprised to see a back three with wing backs and the possibility of seeing Mings in the game as slap head is on a yellow card also. I would be shocked to see only 1 holding player, its just not how he wants to set the team up.

This reminds me of the Cameroon game in 1990, we all thought we would be fine and we very nearly went out!

• Like 1

Guest LondonOwl313
1 hour ago, Mcguigan said:

OK mate, your opinion an all that. 

But who's covered the most yards this tournament for England or regained most possession. Who's made the most tackles and had the highest percentage of completed passes. Who's broke up opponents play more and who's played the most minutes without us conceding a single goal. 

All that and yet he doesn't get your best starting XI. 

Someone has to miss out though.. we’ve a lot of good players. I could go with Phillips over Rice.. but not both. If we had more bodies in the final third I don’t think Ukraine would get much of the ball.. we should be attacking much more than defending. The group games and the friendlies before that were all really disjointed because we don’t have the right balance and there’s no support for the forwards 

3 hours ago, Mcguigan said:

Agree 100%.  Slight concern is Rice n Phillips have a yellow against them.  Can they both play the game they do knowing another yellow means they are out of the semi. 

Really wish Phillips hadn't got that yellow. 

• Like 2

I've watched the 90 again.

I was hard on Philips.

He got forward well and still did his marking job.

Rice was more conservative but no less energetic in doing his job.

Having reviewed it without the emotion I'd say that they compliment each other.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

9 minutes ago, Costello 77 said:

I've watched the 90 again.

I was hard on Philips.

He got forward well and still did his marking job.

Rice was more conservative but no less energetic in doing his job.

Having reviewed it without the emotion I'd say that they compliment each other.

To say they were both on a yellow... Thought they did exceptionally well to say how they play. 

• Like 3

On 30/06/2021 at 14:55, Sticky Micky said:

I'd like to see us abit more experimental in this game 

Give some of the fringe players a bit more game time ,like to see sancho get some game time 

Probley mad to suggest in a euro quarter final but I watched that ukraine game last night and we should have very little to be scared of

Even against ten men ukraine looked little threat 

Yes, against ten men I was hoping they would push forward more, but they seemed content to keep tapping it back until the young striker came on. They obviously forgot to tell him what to do! He shamelessly scored in the time added on, to the time added on!

Hopefully a more relaxing game than our last one, maybe resting Kane, Stones, Philips, Rice and Sterling. I hope to see us face Italy in the final, but we both still have to beat a couple of teams first. Come on England!

• Haha 1

Pickford

Walker stones maguire shaw

Foden  henderson mount

Sterling  kane grealish

Think we should shock and attack like that but he likes 2 dm's, so probably be rice/phillips instead of foden

Subs wise he might share rice/phillips game time, chilwell for shaw, sancho for sterling, foden maybe for grealish, c.l for kane if going well.

• Haha 1