UKRAINE vs ENGLAND - Official Matchday Thread

Great result.  I thought Sancho was excellent with his passing, link up play and ability to go past players.

Tough game against Denmark but one capable of winning.  This is the best chance in a generation for England to win a trophy.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Marro said:

Great result.  I thought Sancho was excellent with his passing, link up play and ability to go past players.

Tough game against Denmark but one capable of winning.  This is the best chance in a generation for England to win a trophy.  

Best chance since 2002 for me, that game against Brazil was the final for me. 2018, I don't think we'd have beaten France. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, SwellOwl said:

I might still be drunk but did we win 4-0?!

I think we did. However, I may still be drunk cos I seem to remember that we absolutely bossed the game, never really looked like conceding and it seemed like every single player out there was a step above what we normally see. Perfect tactics, perfect performance. Not very England that so it must be the drink. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

9 minutes ago, latemodelchild said:

I think we did. However, I may still be drunk cos I seem to remember that we absolutely bossed the game, never really looked like conceding and it seemed like every single player out there was a step above what we normally see. Perfect tactics, perfect performance. Not very England that so it must be the drink. 

Only one thing left to say: drink it in!!

1 hour ago, mozzy85 said:

Best chance since 2002 for me, that game against Brazil was the final for me. 2018, I don't think we'd have beaten France. 

The trick to this is that England have to capitalise on this opportunity and win it.  History only remembers the victors.

Good to see us win in a more relaxing fashion. Extra time and penalties can turn games into a bit more of a lottery and we have enough quality in the squad to see most games out in 90 minutes, with the possible exception of Italy who always seem to play good quality football, as though their lves depend on it. It was also good to see Kane, Shaw, Philips, Rice and Sterling coming off in the second half after putting in some great performances in recent games. The players that came on were capable of keeping up the hard work and not letting the team down, but I think Gareth's team selections and tactics have been very good so far. Come on England, two more big games and we can show the rest of Europe where to stuff it!

• Like 1

Excellent attacking performance, wasnt sure about 2 dms vs them but clearly doesnt matter if it means shaw in particular can get forward alot.

Ukraine fairly poor but If we play like that in semi and hopefully final we have to be close

35 minutes ago, Ash77 said:

Excellent attacking performance, wasnt sure about 2 dms vs them but clearly doesnt matter if it means shaw in particular can get forward alot.

Ukraine fairly poor but If we play like that in semi and hopefully final we have to be close

Or were they made to look poor? Previously they put out Sweden who in turn finished above Spain in the group games.

6 hours ago, Costello 77 said:

Good post.

While we're on about tactics... can you get Paul Paragraph on to the pitch at some point eh?

Thanks Costello. I shall use the return bar with a bit extra verve in my future posts. In fairness to me I was writing in bed at midnight after a reasonable amount of lager shandy. The thing that does puzzle me though is your comment was made 6 hours ago.

That puts you post in the region of 4am. It just makes me wonder about the lifestyle of a grammar Policeman. Is it early start or late finish? 

(does that work ok? I was taught three sentence minimum for a paragraph). 

• Love 1
  • Haha 2

On 30/06/2021 at 19:55, morganowl said:

yer agree ,we have loads of talent in that squad to score 3-4 goals .. but he employs boing boring george graham tactics get a 0-0 and maybe scrape a 1-0 . if you were a neutral you would switch the tv off if southgates england were playing . we should win on saturday very easily but with the same system it be 0-0 again deep into the 2nd half and ukraine might get a chance and take it unlike the germans . lets go for it on saturday ,if we need the cagey tactics leave that to the final against a decent team.

😩

• Like 1