UKRAINE vs ENGLAND - Official Matchday Thread

17 hours ago, Shadowl said:

Did anyone else feel at 2:0 up against Germany that we could still lose this, then had to remember they weren't watching Wednesday?

I remember thinking that on 92 minutes!

Think Henderson will get a start tomorrow, due to the yellow card situation. Also allows us to be slightly more adventurous.

Southgate obviously has the idea that you win tournements by being hard to beat, so I wouldn't expect a big change in approach

Pickford

Walker

Stones

Maguire

Shaw

Phillips

Henderson

Mount

Grealish

Kane

Sterling

Rice was absolutely blowing after the Germany game so if we’re gonna rest any of our booked players, itll be him. Henderson more than capable as a replacement anyway, not a huge deal. Just don’t let him take a penalty.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, The Wall said:

I remember thinking that on 92 minutes!

Think Henderson will get a start tomorrow, due to the yellow card situation. Also allows us to be slightly more adventurous.

Southgate obviously has the idea that you win tournements by being hard to beat, so I wouldn't expect a big change in approach

That's an interesting opinion, regardless of keeper (I'd be surprised if Pickford was dropped tho) having watched the Ukrainian Vs Sweden, I'd have gone for the forgotten Wednesday approach of attack attack attack, putting Foden in but not starting super sub grealish, as he's the super...

But let's be honest what do I know, Southgate seems to have a plan/dream... To build an England football team...

I would like to see Sancho and Rashford start but it isn’t going to happen.  Apart from the goal (which in fairness is what you want strikers to do) I thought Kane was very poor against Germany and looked immobile.  

I would love England to go for it and attack, rather than the pragmatic defensive approach. I think Italy have been brilliant this tournament.

Ukraine are a decent team.  Just hope the England players are up for it.  With many of the big teams knocked out this is probably our best chance to win this.  

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, theowlsman said:

England remind me of Wednesday. I’m not going to get too excited about our prospects of winning until we actually pick up the trophy.

Same. Sometimes it just feels like it’s too good to be true. Hoping the boys do a professional job tonight and take us to the brink of the final. 

• Like 1

Down in cornwall at moment and asked in a pub if they'd be having match on. Landlord said "only time that TV goes on is for the rugby" I said "it's the quarter finals of the euros and England's in it" he replied "don't know nothing about that" in bombers accent and walked in the back. 

Few Weirdos down here I'll tell you

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, Drewswfc said:

Down in cornwall at moment and asked in a pub if they'd be having match on. Landlord said "only time that TV goes on is for the rugby" I said "it's the quarter finals of the euros and England's in it" he replied "don't know nothing about that" in bombers accent and walked in the back. 

Welsh people have a reputation for not liking people who aren't Welsh but my god Cornwall is a whole other level of absolute hatred of anyone not from Cornwall

lol

Owlstalk Shop

On 01/07/2021 at 08:07, Owls-Fan said:

Very tough task for Southgate now, dare he rest Kane and Sterling in a quarter final?  I wouldn't think so.  That means only Saka could be swapped out of the front 3, even tho he has performed well in the first halves in the past 2 games.  Lots of choices to replace him, Grealish, Sancho, Rashford. Whatever Southgate does will annoy somebody (one particular poster on here for sure).  My guess - which will be wrong, is we'll go to 433 and Trippier and Saka will come out for Mount and Foden.  

Agreed, I’d like to see Sancho and Mount come in for Trippier and Saka and go 433.  I guess that Henderson might get a start in place if one of the DM’s too. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Drewswfc said:

should have decked him

• Haha 1