UKRAINE vs ENGLAND - Official Matchday Thread

Crikey!

This has been posted even earlier than back in the day when it seemed half the forum was desperate to be first with the 'official' match day thread, and we'd have four or five competing versions.

I used to love it when people would get narked because the rival threads were posted before 00:01 in the morning.

:duntmatter:

I'd like to see us abit more experimental in this game 

Give some of the fringe players a bit more game time ,like to see sancho get some game time 

Probley mad to suggest in a euro quarter final but I watched that ukraine game last night and we should have very little to be scared of

Even against ten men ukraine looked little threat 

Guest LondonOwl313
14 minutes ago, Sticky Micky said:

Give some of the fringe players a bit more game time ,like to see sancho get some game time 

Probley mad to suggest in a euro quarter final but I watched that ukraine game last night and we should have very little to be scared of

They’re a poor side, only beat North Macedonia and were very lucky to not lose in the 90 mins last night. 

No doubt Boregate will set us up with 8 defenders as if we’re playing peak Brazil

41 minutes ago, Sticky Micky said:

Think the chance of playing a very experimental team is unlikely as if it failed and we lost Southgate would be hung drawn and quartered!

That said there is a case for some squad rotation. The game after the Ukraine game is on Wednesday so we are going to have to use our squad or the players will struggle to recuperate between games. To be honest I can’t believe we are blessed with the strength in depth we have. Sancho, Rashford, Foden, Mount didn’t even make it on the pitch! Winning this one is obviously the main task but we have so many really good players you could change the entire attacking lineup and not see a drop in quality. 

Never seen anything like that for England that I can remember!

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Sticky Micky said:

Time to unleash the Grealish!!

1 hour ago, CircleSeven said:

Think the chance of playing a very experimental team is unlikely as if it failed and we lost Southgate would be hung drawn and quartered!

That said there is a case for some squad rotation. The game after the Ukraine game is on Wednesday so we are going to have to use our squad or the players will struggle to recuperate between games. To be honest I can’t believe we are blessed with the strength in depth we have. Sancho, Rashford, Foden, Mount didn’t even make it on the pitch! Winning this one is obviously the main task but we have so many really good players you could change the entire attacking lineup and not see a drop in quality. 

Never seen anything like that for England that I can remember!

Agree; first and foremost Southgate needs to pick the team that'll win. I'd expect a couple of tweaks from the other day to reflect the different challenge and also to keep players fresh.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, 31Dec1966 said:

A quarter final is no time to experiment but surely we have to be more adventurous. So far we've "got the job done"  but there's nothing to fear from Ukraine. Attack and give our semi final opponents something to worry about .

Upsets happen. We should fear no one but Ukraine warrant respect just by getting this far.

1-0 will suffice for me. Anything better would be a bonus.

• Like 6

Ukraine are a physical hardworking team. They have some decent attacking players but are very defensive - make Southgate's tactic look tame. England win the game 9/10 - unless we get a man sent off like Sweden it should be a fairly straight forward passage to the semis, which will be a different challenge altogether.

24 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

We just beat Germany

Yep. We beat them 2-0 by setting up reasonably defensively and using our attacking options of the bench to unlock our opposition and win while keeping a clean sheet. 
This has seen us concede zero goals so far. I actually suspect Southgate decided he was happy with a draw against Scotland and set up accordingly there as well. 
Expect more of the same against Ukraine. Dull games with no goals conceded and small numbers scored will do for me!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

The worst German team ever apparently.    

I know we haven’t won the tournament or anything but people have started to come out with some bôllox! I’ve heard a few times now ‘Germany aren’t at their best’ etc. They did beat Portugal 4-2. I agree they might not have been at their absolute best but still were clearly a dangerous sine with excellent players!

• Like 3