UKRAINE vs ENGLAND - Official Matchday Thread

4 hours ago, LondonOwl313 said:

They’re a poor side, only beat North Macedonia and were very lucky to not lose in the 90 mins last night. 

No doubt Boregate will set us up with 8 defenders as if we’re playing peak Brazil

yer agree ,we have loads of talent in that squad to score 3-4 goals .. but he employs boing boring george graham tactics get a 0-0 and maybe scrape a 1-0 . if you were a neutral you would switch the tv off if southgates england were playing . we should win on saturday very easily but with the same system it be 0-0 again deep into the 2nd half and ukraine might get a chance and take it unlike the germans . lets go for it on saturday ,if we need the cagey tactics leave that to the final against a decent team.

Guest LondonOwl313
2 minutes ago, morganowl said:

yer agree ,we have loads of talent in that squad to score 3-4 goals .. but he employs boing boring george graham tactics get a 0-0 and maybe scrape a 1-0 . if you were a neutral you would switch the tv off if southgates england were playing . we should win on saturday very easily but with the same system it be 0-0 again deep into the 2nd half and ukraine might get a chance and take it unlike the germans . lets go for it on saturday ,if we need the cagey tactics leave that to the final against a decent team.

Agree completely with this.. if the game is tight due to our tactics it leaves us open to a mistake or not being able to get the breakthrough like vs Scotland, then we could go out.

Take the game to them and give them something to worry about at the other end and there’s very little chance we won’t win the game.

It seems like most people are happy with the current approach but no doubt they’ll do a 180 if we unexpectedly didn’t get through 

Guest LondonOwl313
3 minutes ago, The Wall said:

Yeah, Ukraine, qualified above Portugal without losing a game, but we should definitely stick 3 or 4 past them without conceding a shot on goal

Cos that's always how it happens for England in major tournements

What’s Portugal got to do with it? They had France and Germany in their group and Hungary, who are probably better than North Macedonia and Ukraine as well.

In the qualifiers or friendlies when we’re not at a tournament we’ve regularly been sticking 3-4 goals past these sorts of sides. There’s a huge gulf in class between our players (half the squad played in the Champions league or Europa league finals, the other half majority play for top half Prem teams) and Ukraine or the like, where most would struggle to name a single player.

We should win easily.. if Barcelona played Mansfield they wouldn’t play 8 defenders, isolate Messi and just hope they win anyway. They’d bully the opposition off the pitch, and that’s what we should do. Very little chance we lose if we do that.. more chance we get held to a 0-0 playing like we do, and leaving ourselves exposed to pens.

And that’s not even mentioning the relative attractiveness of actually watching the games either 

Guest LondonOwl313
4 minutes ago, The Wall said:

Slight problem with the analogy is that Mansfield probably couldn't sign Yarmolenko, Zinchenko and Malinovskyi.

And Declan Rice probably wouldn't get in the Barca team

None of those would get in the England team though

6 hours ago, LondonOwl313 said:

They’re a poor side, only beat North Macedonia and were very lucky to not lose in the 90 mins last night. 

No doubt Boregate will set us up with 8 defenders as if we’re playing peak Brazil

Boregates doing a decent job so far mate 

• Like 4

Whilst I don’t always agree with GS decisions he’s done a good job so far. I think we’ll see the same lineup with the only change being RS on the right and JG on the left. At least I’d hope so.

Edited by Morepork
  • Like 1

The only people saying England beat a poor Germany are the bitter Scottish 

They've finally recovered from their hangover celebrating beating  England nil nil 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Sticky Micky said:

The only people saying England beat a poor Germany are the bitter Scottish 

They've finally recovered from their hangover celebrating beating  England nil nil 

I take it you haven't achieved the "ray of sunshine" badge yet?

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, CircleSeven said:

Think the chance of playing a very experimental team is unlikely as if it failed and we lost Southgate would be hung drawn and quartered!

That said there is a case for some squad rotation. The game after the Ukraine game is on Wednesday so we are going to have to use our squad or the players will struggle to recuperate between games. To be honest I can’t believe we are blessed with the strength in depth we have. Sancho, Rashford, Foden, Mount didn’t even make it on the pitch! Winning this one is obviously the main task but we have so many really good players you could change the entire attacking lineup and not see a drop in quality. 

Never seen anything like that for England that I can remember!

We could drop kane for calvert lewin. 

Apart from a couple of moments he's been a complete passenger so far this tournament. Not sure if he's carrying an injury or his minds elsewhere mulling over who to sign for when he leaves spurs or what, but he's been pretty anonymous including the friendlies. 

That said It may be down to how we set up. At spurs they have cm that bomb on past him allowing him to drop deeper and create him space or occupy defenders. With us playing 2 def cm he dosent get this, just when the wingers cut inside. 

I'd like to see cautious Southgate play 1 dm and either foden or grealish down the middle to give kane some support and an extra body In the box. It's Ukraine and they're a shadow of the side they used to be. 

Don't care how we set up or play as long as we win. I've been delighted with our tournament so far, Tuesday night being the icing on the cake. Absolute tactical masterclass from GS. He knows what it takes and he's going to do it his way. 

Al the what ifs and hindsights are boring now. We beat Germany in a knockout round. If that doesn't show you that this squad is doing its job then nothing will. 

• Like 5

Very tough task for Southgate now, dare he rest Kane and Sterling in a quarter final?  I wouldn't think so.  That means only Saka could be swapped out of the front 3, even tho he has performed well in the first halves in the past 2 games.  Lots of choices to replace him, Grealish, Sancho, Rashford. Whatever Southgate does will annoy somebody (one particular poster on here for sure).  My guess - which will be wrong, is we'll go to 433 and Trippier and Saka will come out for Mount and Foden.  

• Like 1