Euro 2021

1 minute ago, edinburghowl said:

Dreadful from Marshall

Your player who chose to have a pot shot from 35 yards which set the Czechs on the break didn't help either. 

1 minute ago, hirstyboywonder said:

True, it was much harder to qualify back then and I think Scotland were better back then, but getting through a stage at the finals will be classed as their best performance at a finals.

Looking like a pipe dream now anyway!

Scotland have had much better teams than this one tbf

It's just that so many teams get to qualify it's easier to get to tournaments

• Like 1

Just now, scram said:

Scotland have had much better teams than this one tbf

It's just that so many teams get to qualify it's easier to get to tournaments

Completely agree, I was just making the point that the commentators weren't necessarily saying it would be the greatest ever Scotland team.

1 minute ago, CalmJimmers said:

What the eff is Marshall doing? Why is he near the half way line 😂

Somebody held triangle for too long.

TBF Scotland had possession - all modern keepers act as supplementary sweepers these days - but are susceptible to a quick possession turnover near the halfway line

It was a very good header for the first and a tremendous finish for the second. That being said these two teams look like they spend all training without a football. Running around and misplacing passes.

Our attack should pick them apart at the back.

Edited by Adem Poric

16 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

The comment was in reference to their performance in European Championships to be fair. They have never got out of the group stage, 3rd place in the group could be enough to get them through so it's not inconceivable that they could become statistically the greatest Scottish team in the history of the Euro's. 

I guess it would be technically correct (if palpably untrue).

They are a fairly typical Scotland side. Solid and competitive enough, with a handful of players of genuine class.

Scotland are coming out of an era where they have struggled to live up to that standard.  But I wouldn't say this lot are any better than, say, the last time they qualified for anything in the late '90s.

Just now, scram said:

TBF Scotland had possession - all modern keepers act as supplementary sweepers these days - but are susceptible to a quick possession turnover near the halfway line

Fair, but not a 50 year old David Marshall surely?

Probs not a 20 year old David Marshall either tbf.

1 minute ago, owlinexile said:

I guess it would be technically correct (if palpably untrue).

They are a fairly typical Scotland side. Solid and competitive enough, with a handful of players of genuine class.

Scotland are coming out of an era where they have struggled to live up to that standard.  But I wouldn't say this lot are any better than, say, the last time they qualified for anything in the late '90s.

Again, I completely agree, and the commentators probably feel the same, they made a comment based on the statistics of never getting beyond the group stage, nothing more.

5 minutes ago, scram said:

They may be 2 up  but the Czech defence is abysmal

True.

With the wealth of attacking talent that Southgate is so reluctant to employ, England really shouldn't have much trouble against this Czech side.

Bet it's a 0-0 draw.

7 minutes ago, scram said:

They may be 2 up  but the Czech defence is abysmal

4 minutes ago, Mike Hunt said:

They really are 

Both teams look like they could be opened up with ease with a bit of quality.

Saying that, I expect both saw this as the best opportunity to win a game in this group and they are likely to play more defensively against us and Croatia, though Scotland won't have that luxury if they don't turn this around.