Euro 2021

1 hour ago, SiJ said:

She is. 

It's ok though, we get Peter Walton to balance out the good work she did earlier. 

God knows how anyone saw his efforts on BT sports and thought they'd get him on as a pundit. Utterly dreadful. 

Don't watch BT so not seen much of him before but I thought he explained Poland's red card today very well. The panel thought the second yellow was harsh & he stated how UEFA have spoken to every nation prior to the tournament specifically about those kind of tackles and how they will be certain bookable offences. 

Seems a bit strange that Spain hasn't hosted a major international tournament since 1982. Got some great stadiums in different styles in many cities that are worth a visit.

40 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Seb Larsson is the captain of Sweden. 

36 years of age, still playing. 

Got to think the Spanish will have far too much for these, surely?  

Some poor players in this competition. I guess that's what you get when you extend it to so many teams.

5 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

Some poor players in this competition. I guess that's what you get when you extend it to so many teams.

Yeah, I don't like this new format. 

Think it's a load of rubbish tbh. 

The old format with 16 teams was much better than this. Fact that teams who finish third can get through is poor imo. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, SiJ said:

The old format with 16 teams was much better than this. Fact that teams who finish third can get through is poor imo. 

totally agree. 

Spain play the same way… 419 passes in that first half… 

When they’re on top of you it’s quite scary - making popping the ball around look easy… doesn’t make them unbeatable though.  

I’d fear for England against a team that pop the ball about quickly. 

14 minutes ago, SiJ said:

It's nonsensical

Every year competitions seem to be more prevalent and get more expansive

We need to walk it back and start cutting down the demands on players

This tournament was so easy to qualify for me and my dog nearly qualified by virtue of doing a long walk

It has become so much about finance that quality has dropped off a cliff

The Scotland game today was glorified parks football with the odd exception here and there

These tournaments should be the best v the best

There is a battle for supremacy between domestic and international football and it has to stop

Everybody (bar a few of us) were up in arms about the breakaway ESL - yet who can blame them with these imposters running things

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Kopparberg said:

When they’re on top of you it’s quite scary - making popping the ball around look easy… doesn’t make them unbeatable though.  

England have shown they can live with Spain recently in the Nations League. They play some lovely football but they aren't as incisive as they used to be with Xavi and Iniesta, they aren't as lethal as they were with Torres and Villa and they aren't as strong as the back as they used to be either. 

1 minute ago, Kopparberg said:

I fear for us against anybody

because as great as yesterday was - and as much as i really like Southgate the person - i just think he's a liability

I'd love to be able to eat humble pie on this but don't think i'll have to...

3 minutes ago, scram said:

It's nonsensical

Every year competitions seem to be more prevalent and get more expansive

We need to walk it back and start cutting down the demands on players

This tournament was so easy to qualify for me and my dog nearly qualified by virtue of doing a long walk

It has become so much about finance that quality has dropped off a cliff

The Scotland game today was glorified parks football with the odd exception here and there

These tournaments should be the best v the best

There is a battle for supremacy between domestic and international football and it has to stop

Everybody (bar a few of us) were up in arms about the breakaway ESL - yet who can blame them with these imposters running things

But the breakaway league essentially stands for the same thing as the expanded Euro's - making money and the big teams protecting their interests. There's 32 teams playing in the finals to negate the chances of the Netherlands or Italy, or even England failing to make it as has happened recently, and having more nations in means more nations watching.

4 minutes ago, scram said:

I fear for us against anybody

because as great as yesterday was - and as much as i really like Southgate the person - i just think he's a liability

I'd love to be able to eat humble pie on this but don't think i'll have to...

Who would be the ideal choice and would want the job though? By and large, top managers at their peak don't want to manage an international team. 

11 minutes ago, Kopparberg said:

they're hardly tearing Sweden to bits though. Lots of passes for sake of it imo

5 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

England have shown they can live with Spain recently in the Nations League. They play some lovely football but they aren't as incisive as they used to be with Xavi and Iniesta, they aren't as lethal as they were with Torres and Villa and they aren't as strong as the back as they used to be either. 

I think it’s the concentration that I fear most about England. Yesterday we did well in terms of of that, which is a positive and hopefully something to build on - but Spain would knock it around better than Croatia yesterday. 

Agree on the Torres/Villa part… Morata isn’t on that level. 

Just now, Kopparberg said:

I think it’s the concentration that I fear most about England. Yesterday we did well in terms of of that, which is a positive and hopefully something to build on - but Spain would knock it around better than Croatia yesterday. 

Agree on the Torres/Villa part… Morata isn’t on that level. 

Good point, concentration is a key part of being a top player and we have come unstuck in that respect in the not too distant past. No doubt Spain are a far better side all round than Croatia.

I think we could give them a game though, they've had all of the ball for an hour against Sweden and haven't got the job done yet, we are better side in every department than Sweden.

1 hour ago, gazzatheowl said:

Jesus Christ the size of them technical areas.  I’ve seen smaller five-a-side pitches

Just seen Thiago jog back from the technical area to where the subs are sat, think I'd need a rest after that! 

Edited by Guest

1 minute ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

they're hardly tearing Sweden to bits though. Lots of passes for sake of it imo

Indeed. It’s more about their passing leading to lapses in concentration for me… I don’t think Southgate wants anyone being too adventurous however so maybe we can cope, and we have good fullbacks. 

I always fear with England the type of switching off where Iceland or Columbia scored against us in the past (but they were set pieces I guess)