Our season in a table - THIS is why we went down

11 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

It's CRUCIAL we keep looking for these reasons not to acknowledge Chansiri relegated this club

Keep going

I think I have. The team gained enough points to just stay up, the -6 caused us to go down.

5 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

It's CRUCIAL we keep looking for these reasons not to acknowledge Chansiri relegated this club

Keep going

I think your wide of the mark with this comment. Points lost from winning positions are facts. Poor away form is fact. The root cause of these facts are still the chairman and his recruitment. But if you want to make your football forum a place where all we say is ‘Chansiri took us down’ and we don’t then look at how the mismanagement has done more than just give us a points deduction I think that’s a mistake. The mismanagement cascades through to recruitment, the multiple managers and contrasting styles, the non payment of wages having an impact on players psyche and performance etc etc. We would have stayed up without the points deduction. We would also have stayed up if we got more points. It would be poor if the second point and the reasons behind it weren’t looked at. 

• Love 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, CircleSeven said:

I think your wide of the mark with this comment. Points lost from winning positions are facts. Poor away form is fact. The root cause of these facts are still the chairman and his recruitment. But if you want to make your football forum a place where all we say is ‘Chansiri took us down’ and we don’t then look at how the mismanagement has done more than just give us a points deduction I think that’s a mistake. The mismanagement cascades through to recruitment, the multiple managers and contrasting styles, the non payment of wages having an impact on players psyche and performance etc etc. We would have stayed up without the points deduction. We would also have stayed up if we got more points. It would be poor if the second point and the reasons behind it weren’t looked at. 

We would have got more points if we had paid the players on time

Literally any aspect of any underperformance on the pitch or from the managers goes right back to how the club is being run

Have you read the Athletic article from yesterday yet? Much of it is in there

Owlstalk Shop

We can blame our chairman, yes he has made mistakes. My issue is with players who are well paid and have shown no fight. many will move on to other clubs still earning a decent wage.

Reading the paper today the prediction is that many EFL clubs will not have the funds to recruit players. This could leave us with players who have nowhere to go, as other clubs don't want them.

Imagine some of our spineless players having to stay on a hugely reduced contract?

Agents phones will be red hot over the next few weeks.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

We would have got more points if we had paid the players on time

Literally any aspect of any underperformance on the pitch or from the managers goes right back to how the club is being run

Have you read the Athletic article from yesterday yet? Much of it is in there

Yes. And I’m agreeing with it. But the OP just lays out some facts. And then we are discussing the facts. In my first post I said the chairman is to blame ultimately. It is simultaneously true that Chansiri is responsible but at the same time we could have stayed up with less errors, or less managers or better motivation or better game management.

We went down because of Chansiri. But could have stayed up despite him. I don’t see that discussing the latter means we are looking for reasons not to blame Chansiri. We are just talking about Football. 

• Like 1

Norwich, Brentford and .... Rotherham were the only teams who beat us home and away. 

The way we've gone down you could look at any of those red boxes for abysmal personal performances and bizarre managerial decisions for the reason why we went down.

It's been poor across the board, but when you don't turn up for two games against your Relegation opponents (Rotherham) You're probably heading into The Third Division with them.

UTO

1 hour ago, CircleSeven said:

Yep. Going down is never a one match thing. Many many errors have cost us points that would have kept us up. 27 points lost from winning positions. Terrible away form. No points after conceding first. Etc etc. 
Ultimately we lost because our players were not good enough. Which is because our chairman is not good enough. 

Or the person who advised the CEO to sign the cheques is not good enough. The table at the end of the season doesn’t lie. It’s been coming since the Udders play off.

1 hour ago, TheEnchanter said:

Our away support is genuinely like a 12th man sometimes. 

First thing I thought about when I saw all those red bars in the away column...the support away from home is always phenomenal and would probably have helped with a few more points along the way.

1 hour ago, the third man said:

We were relegated because, although we finished 4th bottom OUR CHAIRMAN lost us 6 points that got us relegated

We were, but had multiple chances to get enough points throughout the season...especially in those games that were thrown away as previously mentioned.

24 minutes ago, sternlad said:

We were, but had multiple chances to get enough points throughout the season...especially in those games that were thrown away as previously mentioned.

So did the other teams in the bottom three, they could all point to matches they lost that they shouldn't have, points that they threw away

Again the difference is we did get enough points to stay up, it wasn't the players or the numerous managers fault that we got relegated, just one person

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skiptonowl said:

We can blame our chairman, yes he has made mistakes. My issue is with players who are well paid and have shown no fight. many will move on to other clubs still earning a decent wage.

Reading the paper today the prediction is that many EFL clubs will not have the funds to recruit players. This could leave us with players who have nowhere to go, as other clubs don't want them.

Imagine some of our spineless players having to stay on a hugely reduced contract?

Agents phones will be red hot over the next few weeks.

But the players did enough to stay up, stop blaming them and blame the real culprit

2 minutes ago, the third man said:

So did the other teams in the bottom three, they could all point to matches they lost that they shouldn't have, points that they threw away

Again the difference is we did get enough points to stay up, it wasn't the players or the numerous managers fault that we got relegated, just one person

I don’t disagree with that, he was also responsible for a bringing in succession of managers throughout the season like a revolving door. However, I can’t absolve the players from blame either, when they had been paid on time results were as poor as when they hadn’t been. I’d like to hear what the captain has to say about the season as a whole honestly and frankly, but I doubt we’ll ever get that pleasure.

2 minutes ago, sternlad said:

I don’t disagree with that, he was also responsible for a bringing in succession of managers throughout the season like a revolving door. However, I can’t absolve the players from blame either, when they had been paid on time results were as poor as when they hadn’t been. I’d like to hear what the captain has to say about the season as a whole honestly and frankly, but I doubt we’ll ever get that pleasure.

How many points did the players and the succession of managers get?

how many points did our chainman cost us?

take one away from the other and that is the sole reason we got relegated

• Like 1

All of the reasons mentioned above were contributory factors.  If one or more of them were different, we would have stayed up.

Now is not really the time for " what if" - what the Chairman and management team need to do now, is plan the budget and identify new players who have a "never say die" attitude and are more skilful than the shower whose contracts are about to expire.  Only then, will things start to improve.  I'm not confident they can find those players though, given past history.