Official :6 English teams agree to Super League

23 minutes ago, Maddogbob said:

I think that's what Boris is trying to do.

But's lest remember how much money and tax football generates in this country.

So the hypocritical meter is on overload for me.

Have the 14 EPL clubs neshed it yet?

What's johnson gonna do?

Tell them to chant slogans?

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Maddogbob said:

I don't think you can, the power has been eroded.

One option the government has is to slap the English clubs with a massive windfall tax, basically making it unprofitable to join the league. This was mentioned in the House Of Commons yesterday by a government minister. 

26 minutes ago, Maddogbob said:

I'm not buying there position. They are just playing to the crowd. I have some faith in them, a small amount.

But when push comes to shove, they will shift.

As ever time will reveal all. I think the Germans are playing a smart game. I’ve negotiated with businesses from most European countries over time and the Germans are in my experience the smartest operators. 
Meanwhile Benfica have broken cover and are apparently lobbying to get into the ESL!

Many months of chaos ahead...

3 hours ago, mcmigo said:

Day two of this and I am still amazed at the faux outrage.  It is like a competition to see who can be the angriest.

The same teams qualify for the Champions league pretty much every season in Italy, Spain and England.  Yes, very occasionally a Leicester or an Everton sneak in, but the new competition allows for that with the flexible additional 5 club entry.  From the perspective of English teams, this is just a different structure to the same old midweek Champions League once it gets serious, where the clubs will make more money as a result. 

If this new competition comes with much better/ cheaper TV access  that means fans actually watch games -  remember, the 'classic' semi finals of Liverpool v Barca and Spurs v Ajax were seen by very few people in this country as they were on BT sport - I'm all for it.

Do you genuinely believe it is faux outrage.

For want of a better word football was already ****** and this will make it even more ****** than it was before.

A "competition" which select teams are already in with no need to qualify.

A "competition" where half the games will end up being totally meaningless.

It's basically there to protect specific clubs so they can monopolise football more than they already are doing. There is no interest in making it better for the fans its purely greed. The only "fans" who will like this are the plastic glory hunters who don't have any real affiliation to the clubs they "support". 

Football sold its soul a long time ago and has attracted sharks who are just there to make as much money as they can. 

This super league probably will take off because there are enough foreign "fans" who will lap it up, however the people who have made these decisions have stolen football from the people who made it what it is I the first place.

If they wanted this "product" so badly why didn't they make a 20 team league franchise across Europe with new clubs totally separate to the current clubs and invite players who want to play in it?

No faux outrage from me, I already felt disillusioned with the constant diving and cheating, the agents leaching so much money out of the game, the obscene wages players who don't even play are earning, the ridiculous ffp rules preventing other teams catching the big few and many other things. I love going to Hillsborough I love following "my" team. My outrage towards this latest bull poo is anything but faux.

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, darra said:

Smart money is on Amazon Prime. They've been looking to get rid of Sky covering sports for a few years now.

Whilst I don’t disagree, do they actually need a broadcaster, when they could sell direct to the punter.

That way the pie is not shared out equally, which is something that they are arguing about, (why should a televised Burnley v Wolves get the same amount of money as Man Utd v Spurs, which potentially has more viewers)

also, it cuts out the middle man, more money for the clubs, less for the media moguls. 

In 1992 when the PL was set up, it needed a broadcaster with a licence to beam the pictures to your living room, now it just needs a studio in the ground, some cameras and an internet connection. 

2 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

As ever time will reveal all. I think the Germans are playing a smart game. I’ve negotiated with businesses from most European countries over time and the Germans are in my experience the smartest operators. 
Meanwhile Benfica have broken cover and are apparently lobbying to get into the ESL!

Many months of chaos ahead...

Yeah not surprised on benfica, there are two more, we don't know about. 

I reckon they want 20 for a league.

Once they negotiate away from the closed shop model (I think they will). It'll fall into place.

Edited by Maddogbob
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, scram said:

Vast swathes of football fans accepted it and embraced it - indeed chased it every step of the way

If the outcry and hostile reaction to the latest developments had maybe happened earlier then we might be at the point we've reached - where maybe fan and matchday culture would be much more part of the reckoning than it has been

Fans continually howl for their clubs to invest more and more - to get better more costly players and pay obscene wages way beyond the ability of most clubs to pay them

It's like some fans have literally just been confronted with the reality that clubs operate as businesses that you are customers and if you get priced out then too bad - there's millions more customers out there able and willing to pay

This is where those practices lead - and it's been the destination for years

Not wrong at all on this.

It was inevitable. Football is completely unregulated.

A German fan ownership model is the only way it can succeed.

21 minutes ago, darra said:

One of the reasons football in the EPL and EFL carried on? Sky amongst other providers were looking at large  compensation packages if football had been cancelled

Exactly right

I was in the PL meetings and part of Project Restart

The PL/EFL were gonna be hit with a claim just shy of £1bn if they didn't finish the season - and that was just the TV companies let alone sponsors and advertisers etc

Oh, and the PL totally disowned the EFL - they were just out to protect themselves and didn't give a stuff about the rest of the game

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

One option the government has is to slap the English clubs with a massive windfall tax, basically making it unprofitable to join the league. This was mentioned in the House Of Commons yesterday by a government minister. 

How does that effect other clubs? Or could they just move the clubs?

22 minutes ago, Groundhopping Owl said:

A lot of these teams have gone into this league precisely because they're suffering from too much domestic competition. Arsenal are ninth in the PL. AC Milan haven't played a Champions League fixture since 2014 for Christ's sake.

If they really wanted to make a league to help remedy lack of competition then the teams to invite should be Ajax, Red Star Belgrade, Dinamo Zagreb etc. 

Come on mate - lket's stop with this nonsense and pretending it is anything to do with sporting integrity

It is ENTIRELY about commercial attractiveness hence the clubs with the biggest global pull being invited - AC Milan are a huge global club regardless of their current sporting merit

2 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Big European nights like Liverpool coming back to beat Barcelona used to be prestigious, they won't be when they play each other in a group league twice every season and invite Miami along too because they get a lot of likes on Instagram. Super League group matches being taken on tour and the finals being played in Malaysia. 

I agree entirely so UEFA should recognise the error of their greedy ways & make the CL what it was. The big clubs would get more exposure & money & never consider this new league. Easy. 

1 minute ago, Maddogbob said:

Yeah not surprised on benfica, there are two more, we don't know about. 

I reckon they want 20 for a league.

Once they negotiate away from the closed shop model (I think they will). It'll fall into place.

I think the closed shop model will bite the dust as that’s the bit that offends people the most plus it’s the most difficult bit legally as it falls foul of competition regulations. If they drop that then they might be in business. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

I think the closed shop model will bite the dust as that’s the bit that offends people the most plus it’s the most difficult bit legally as it falls foul of competition regulations. If they drop that then they might be in business. 

I suspect it will get dropped, this is the opening gambit.

20 team league, bottom gets relegated and replaced by UCL winner.

Do that and you keep most or the important ones happy.

Edited by Maddogbob

6 minutes ago, scram said:

Exactly right

I was in the PL meetings and part of Project Restart

The PL/EFL were gonna be hit with a claim just shy of £1bn if they didn't finish the season - and that was just the TV companies let alone sponsors and advertisers etc

Oh, and the PL totally disowned the EFL - they were just out to protect themselves and didn't give a stuff about the rest of the game

That's what I heard a billion compo and counting

4 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

The thing is a lot of these top clubs are in debt by billions. I genuinely believe they need this League to survive.

Barcelona - Over €600m in debt
Inter Milan - Over €600m in debt
Real Madrid - Over €900m in debt
AC Milan - Over €250m in debt
Man Utd - Over £400m in debt

There’s a reoccurring theme with these ‘top six’ clubs in the European Super League.

• Like 1