Jordan Rhodes goal

Always felt to me that we signed him without knowing what sort of player he was and how to get the best out of him. 

He's a poacher, that's his strength. 

Comes alive in the box, but not always the best when it comes to linking play up, holding the ball up etc. 

It's an absolute no brainer to start him in every game from now until the end of the season. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Therealrealist said:

Criminally underused for 4 years

I really don't think this is true. He's been given ample opportunity for 4 years. Also given chances at Norwich and didn't light it up. 

It's just that now (finally... maybe) it seems to be clicking. Annoying that it's happening at contract end, but hopefully will work out for us. 

1 minute ago, SallyCinnamon said:

They were bad at Wednesday when Rhodes was available. 

Perhaps if they started Rhodes more often they might have won more games than they did.

Perhaps but It can't be dressed up that Rhodes hasn't scored previously because he wasn't getting the service.  Rhodes is getting goals because HIS game is better.  as @Jamie_Wsaid, Rhodes has had runs before and not done the business.  Also, he was playing with better players in his previous runs.  

2 hours ago, Grandad said:

WEVE NOT PLAYED HIM

What you talkin bout...

He has played in like 92 games for us in what 4yrs.  and one of those years he was on loan to Norwich..

I understand what you are saying, we could have played him more but with a goals per game of less than 1 goal per 5 games played...  When you consider unlike say Nuhui he often offers very little else but goals, which is great if he is scoring like he used to, he is a goal poacher...  You can understand why so many managers have lost patience with him..  Its only out of necessity we have been playing him..

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cbirks said:

I really don't think this is true. He's been given ample opportunity for 4 years. Also given chances at Norwich and didn't light it up. 

It's just that now (finally... maybe) it seems to be clicking. Annoying that it's happening at contract end, but hopefully will work out for us. 

The stats I posted a couple of pages suggests he has not been given enough game time to find some form and score on a consistent basis.

3 minutes ago, shandypants said:

OK then.  Carlos and Pulis aren't bad managers.  

2 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

They were bad at Wednesday when Rhodes was available. 

Perhaps if they started Rhodes more often they might have won more games than they did.

Carlos played Rhodes far more than many of us remember.

Despite having Joao, Nuhiu, Fletcher, Forestieri, Hooper and Winnall.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Always felt to me that we signed him without knowing what sort of player he was and how to get the best out of him. 

He's a poacher, that's his strength. 

Comes alive in the box, but not always the best when it comes to linking play up, holding the ball up etc. 

It's an absolute no brainer to start him in every game from now until the end of the season. 

This ^.  The problem before was down to Rhodes.  We put the ball in the box often enough - he just wasn't doing it.  

2 minutes ago, catdog1121 said:

What you talkin bout...

He has played in like 92 games for us in what 4yrs.  and one of those years he was on loan to Norwich..

I understand what you are saying, we could have played him more but with a goals per game of less than 1 goal per 5 games played...  When you consider unlike say Nuhui he often offers very little else but goals, which is great if he is scoring like he used to, he is a goal poacher...  You can understand why so many managers have lost patience with him..  Its only out of necessity we have been playing him..

Another "nail on the head" post.  

2 minutes ago, catdog1121 said:

What you talkin bout...

16/17 - 14 starts 

17/18 -17 starts

18/19 - 9 starts 

19/20 - 7 starts 

20/21 - 9 starts 

There’s 46 games in a season.

• Like 1

Carlos didn’t have a clue how to get the best out of Rhodes, ridiculous considering he was the manager when we signed him.

If you play to his strengths he will score goals, hence the reason he’s just a handful of goals from being the highest goal scorer in Championship history.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, shandypants said:

This ^.  The problem before was down to Rhodes.  We put the ball in the box often enough - he just wasn't doing it.  

I don't entirely agree. 

I can't recall Jordan missing hatfuls of chances. 

In fact, his finishing is often very good. A better finisher than say Fletcher imo. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Carlos played Rhodes far more than many of us remember.

Despite having Joao, Nuhiu, Fletcher, Forestieri, Hooper and Winnall.

Carlos played very boring and predictable slow build up football. By the time we got the ball to the edge of the area it was packed and Rhodes didn’t have the space he needed to score goals.

He absolutely destroyed Rhodes confidence in such a negative side that created less and less the longer he stayed at the club.

Get the ball forward quickly, get crosses into the box and he’ll score goals.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, SiJ said:

I don't entirely agree. 

I can't recall Jordan missing hatfuls of chances. 

In fact, his finishing is often very good. A better finisher than say Fletcher imo. 

Someone highlighted how many chances were made in our games a few seasons ago and it was quite high.  Other players have scored for us consistently.  

2 hours ago, DJMortimer said:

From memory, when he first arrived he missed only 1 of the first 22 games (rested for an early round cup match), starting 16 of them. He scored just 3, and that was in a team that finished 4th that first season. 

Put crosses in the box and he will score - that’s why he was prolific for other teams 

• Like 2