Jordan Rhodes goal

14 league starts and only 3 goals in his first (half) season, was probably the worst of it oddly enough.

Since then it's been 33 league starts and 14 goals; that's really not bad at all.

But in that time, and despite not being injured even once (I think) in his time with us, he's only ever had a run of 4 consecutive league games. When we had Hooper, Fletcher, João, and Nuhiu, it was more understandable, but these last two seasons at least he should've been playing so much more. Just give him a run; put a bit of faith in him—and perhaps most importantly, don't just drop him if he doesn't score for two games.

Having said that, I do think his performances since January have been different in the way's he put himself about too. More energy, more fight, more involvement.

9 games left. I still think it'll be a bridge too far, but if we're to go down, at least let's go down fighting.

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, PortlandOwl said:

He's had plenty of chances to perform. Just accept it hasn't worked out for Rhodes at Wednesday. 

The most league starts Rhodes has had in a season for us is 17.

The most league starts Joao had for us in a season was 18.

Both have been underused at Wednesday 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, cowl said:

14 league starts and only 3 goals in his first (half) season, was probably the worst of it oddly enough.

Since then it's been 33 league starts and 14 goals; that's really not bad at all.

But in that time, and despite not being injured even once (I think) in his time with us, he's only ever had a run of 4 consecutive league games. When we had Hooper, Fletcher, João, and Nuhiu, it was more understandable, but these last two seasons at least he should've been playing so much more. Just give him a run; put a bit of faith in him—and perhaps most importantly, don't just drop him if he doesn't score for two games.

Having said that, I do think his performances since January have been different in the way's he put himself about too. More energy, more fight, more involvement.

9 games left. I still think it'll be a bridge too far, but if we're to go down, at least let's go down fighting.

A run of 4 consecutive games is all he’s had? Wow.

8 hours ago, A47Owl said:

I think he will sign a new contract whichever league we are in. Obviously at vastly reduced rate. 

I think he's happy here despite the way he's been treated by managers and some fans. 

If Moore sees the way to set up to get the best out of him then it's a possibility. 

Many have been saying it for years. 

Cross the ball Rhodes will be in and around where it lands. 

I hope you are right but what makes you think he’s happy and that he will stay - just interested that’s all.

3 hours ago, T Hardy said:

This is where I get really confused by the whole discussion on Rhodes. There’s a whole “ha told you so” argument going on from his biggest advocates. He could score 40 goals between now and the end of the season, and it won’t change that he’s failed to impress in a Wednesday shirt in every other season whilst he’s been here. We should all be happy for him, but this whole “haha see I was right” stuff looks daft when you look at his overall record here. Let’s celebrate and enjoy his contribution now, but let’s not say rubbish like we are finally playing to his strengths. I’ve seen him miss lots of opportunities whist in a Wednesday shirt. 

No you haven’t seen him miss plenty ONLY the ones not supplied properly 

• Haha 3

12 minutes ago, HIGHERSTATE said:

I've just seen the highlights and it was definatly the fastest ive seen him run (playing for us) for that second goal.  Like someone had oiled his legs for once.

Made a nice change for us to get behind someone's defence for once. Also good to see that after that nonsense a couple of games ago where he declined to play in Pelupessy, Windass realised that his responsibility was to the team and not himself by playing the percentages to set up a better placed team mate.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, DJMortimer said:

Made a nice change for us to get behind someone's defence for once. Also good to see that after that nonsense a couple of games ago where he declined to play in Pelupessy, Windass realised that his responsibility was to the team and not himself by playing the percentages to set up a better placed team mate.

Definatly...that also came to my mind..his head was up and he was looking.

1 hour ago, SallyCinnamon said:

A run of 4 consecutive games is all he’s had? Wow.

Since his first half season.

Just after he first signed, he played 12 games straight, but only scoring 3 times.

After that Hooper returned from injury (momentarily) and were it not for that and that 6 straight wins that followed, I doubt we'd have even made the play-offs that season, but such was the competition for the striking spots at the time.

6 hours ago, pat blondeau said:

The most league starts Rhodes has had in a season for us is 17.

The most league starts Joao had for us in a season was 18.

Both have been underused at Wednesday 

The decisions to acquire 7 strikers was one of the most bizarre of our many DC era bizarre decisions. 

At the same time we were loaning makeshift CBs, wingers and midfielders.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cowl said:

Since his first half season.

Just after he first signed, he played 12 games straight, but only scoring 3 times.

After that Hooper returned from injury (momentarily) and were it not for that and that 6 straight wins that followed, I doubt we'd have even made the play-offs that season, but such was the competition for the striking spots at the time.

That six game winning run that got us 4th:-

Rotherham 2-0

Rhodes & Fletcher started. We were 2-0 up when Rhodes went off after 60.

Newcastle 2-1

O-0 when Rhodes came on 58 minutes.. We scored two quick goals and ran out winners.

Cardiff 1-0

0-0 when Rhodes came on. He made the winner for FF.

QPR 2-1

Rhodes started with Hooper. 2-1 up when subbed.

Derby 2-1

Losing 1-0 when Rhodes came on after 54 minutes. We scored two quick goals to win

Ipswich 1-0

0-0 when Rhodes came on.

Rhodes played 280 minutes out of those golden 540 minutes.

In those 280 minutes we scored 10.

In the other 260 minutes we scored 0.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, HIGHERSTATE said:

I've just seen the highlights and it was definatly the fastest ive seen him run (playing for us) for that second goal.  Like someone had oiled his legs for once.

The highlights won’t do his performance justice yesterday. His 90 minutes were Fletcher-esque. Effort, battling, quality holding-up, headers won, always found a colleague....

But I would agree with you that he does seem to have found a yard of pace too. I don’t remember him outpacing defenders the way he has done in some recent games.

• Like 2

If it was Nuhui who had scored a double at this stagr in contract  all the haters would be out in force, accusing him of turning it on to get a new deal. 

Our multi million pound flop of of a striker who has failed to impress about 8 managers in his time does it, and he's the second coming who has been so very harshly treated. 

1. Rhodes has always had chances and opportunities,  most he hasn't taken. There is a reason manager after manager hasn't started him more. They can't all be blind to his amazing talent. 

2. Never in my 45 years plus watching SWFC have I seen us change our line up and tactics so often, especially under CC, to accommodate one player.  He has had crosses galore and played in every conceivable strike partnership and arrangement. 

3. He should have played a lot more this season. As poor as he has been, incredibly,  he has been our best option this season. That's where we are now.

4. Jordan Rhodes has been the worse signing, the most expensive waste of money in thd clubs history. We couldn't give him away, we couldn't even pay someone to take him off our hands. How much of that is his fault is up for debate I guess, but for him to stay here and take the money instead of settling his contract and kick starting his career somewhere else speaks volumes to me. I can only think he has had personal issues, maybe mental health problems that have affected his commitment and appetite for the game over the last 4 years. I hope next season he finds a club and bangs the goals in like he has done before. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bannofan said:

If it was Nuhui who had scored a double at this stagr in contract  all the haters would be out in force, accusing him of turning it on to get a new deal. 

Our multi million pound flop of of a striker who has failed to impress about 8 managers in his time does it, and he's the second coming who has been so very harshly treated. 

1. Rhodes has always had chances and opportunities,  most he hasn't taken. There is a reason manager after manager hasn't started him more. They can't all be blind to his amazing talent. 

2. Never in my 45 years plus watching SWFC have I seen us change our line up and tactics so often, especially under CC, to accommodate one player.  He has had crosses galore and played in every conceivable strike partnership and arrangement. 

3. He should have played a lot more this season. As poor as he has been, incredibly,  he has been our best option this season. That's where we are now.

4. Jordan Rhodes has been the worse signing, the most expensive waste of money in thd clubs history. We couldn't give him away, we couldn't even pay someone to take him off our hands. How much of that is his fault is up for debate I guess, but for him to stay here and take the money instead of settling his contract and kick starting his career somewhere else speaks volumes to me. I can only think he has had personal issues, maybe mental health problems that have affected his commitment and appetite for the game over the last 4 years. I hope next season he finds a club and bangs the goals in like he has done before. 

Yes it’s proved (so far) to be a bad signing.

But, your point 2 is worth looking at in terms of whether we managed this expensive asset well or badly. I’d be really interested with your view.

You say we tried Rhodes with every conceivable partnership. Have you any idea how superb his partnership with Fletcher was? It was off-the-scale in terms of the goals they scored in tandem, and the points we won twenty they were the pairing.

If I live to be 1000 I will never understand why Monk in particular either didn’t spot this, or spotted it and for some bizarre reason thought “it’ll stop working so I’ll tear it up”. We had a gift-horse, and Monk shot it.

Honestly, 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

The highlights won’t do his performance justice yesterday. His 90 minutes were Fletcher-esque. Effort, battling, quality holding-up, headers won, always found a colleague....

But I would agree with you that he does seem to have found a yard of pace too. I don’t remember him outpacing defenders the way he has done in some recent games.

It’s because he’s now getting decent game time. Never gonna get match sharp playing the last 7 minutes of a game.

At this point, pouring over his transfer fee and wages is irrelevant. 

All that matters now, is us staying up, and if he's playing, and he's scoring (and we can learn to defend a lead) who gives a poo what he's been paid previously.

You're just winding yourself up for no reason 

• Like 2

Guest Grandad

Bless

The Rhodes haters are still going, the following day

Trying to cover up the fact they have been wrong all along about him

Put your bottom lips away lads. We won.