Jordan Rhodes goal

2 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

He's started scoring coz he's getting in better scoring positions but fair play to you, bet you're in smug mode at the moment.

He’s starting to score because he’s starting games.

Instead of being expected to score a hattrick in 10 minutes to win us a game we’re chasing.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Biggest single factor by far. 

We don’t score. He’s our only striker. It’s nothing short of scandalous management.

You’re fixated on Rhodes mate. I think it’s an insult to Rhodes to not acknowledge his improvement. 

3 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

Surely the six point penalty is the biggest single reason we're in the bottom three?

And then arguably the meagre squad we're relying on thanks to the incompetence of the board?

Not in my opinion.

In a side with very few goal scorers leaving Rhodes out for 75% of the season beggars belief.

Monk was wrong.

Pulis was wrong.

Thompson was wrong.

The fans were right.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

Surely the six point penalty is the biggest single reason we're in the bottom three?

And then arguably the meagre squad we're relying on thanks to the incompetence of the board?

This. Absolutely this. Rhodes is better purely because of himself and not others. 

7 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

He's started scoring coz he's getting in better scoring positions but fair play to you, bet you're in smug mode at the moment.

Not smug at all.

Frustrated as hell mate.

I want to stay in this division and Monk, Pulis and Thompson left our best hope sat on his arrse. Can’t believe or understand it.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

Even without the six point deduction we'd still be in the bottom three.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, shandypants said:

Carlos, Bruce and Pulis are not bad managers. 

What has Carlos got to do with this season? (Though you do know he played Rhodes for ~ 50% of his time, despite having an army of top strikers).

And Bruce? Rhodes was at Norwich.

Leaves Pulis - you rate his decisions for his 10 games here?

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Not smug at all.

Frustrated as hell mate.

I want to stay in this division and Monk, Pulis and Thompson left our best hope sat on his arrse. Can’t believe or understand it.

You may have a point, but I can understand their reticence to play him, as I maintain that he had lost his mojo and wasn't getting involved in the games.  

For your part you have championed his cause with facts and figures and not just emotion. 

I do love it when players prove their detractors wrong.

1 minute ago, Holmowl said:

Not smug at all.

Frustrated as hell mate.

Goes against the grain of your "only thing that matters is here and now" stance, but what's your take on Rhodes' contract status given his age, history, current form, and the table circumstances?

I was thinking perhaps a move to try to resign for a couple of years for a reasonable amount and hope to carry the wage for a year in L1? Move him in January or after a year if we are stagnant? 

Looking at us and the squad, we're actually not that bad of a spot for Rhodes:  He's settled here for the last half decade, he's a 31 year old striker whose best days are behind him, and he's unlikely to play regularly at any club that would be perceived at more his level.   At Wednesday he's a big fish in a small pond now, and could hopefully be productive in L1. Plus we're unlikely to attract any decent replacement talent. 

I'm not confident we'll stay up, but could be a mutually beneficial move even if we drop, assuming he has turned the corner.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Inspector Lestrade said:

You may have a point, but I can understand their reticence to play him, as I maintain that he had lost his mojo and wasn't getting involved in the games.  

For your part you have championed his cause with facts and figures and not just emotion. 

I do love it when players prove their detractors wrong.

Do you think he’d lost his mojo this season? I thought we played better v Cardiff and Watford in those first two games when he played, than in the next 10 when he sat out. The results say so too.

Just now, Holmowl said:

Do you think he’d lost his mojo this season? I thought we played better v Cardiff and Watford in those first two games when he played, than in the next 10 when he sat out. The results say so too.

Not seen many games lately to be honest to make a judgement.  He can blow hot and cold, it wouldn't surprise me if he didn't score for a few games, but then it wouldn't surprise me if scored a few more either, he's getting to be a bit of an enigma. 

1 minute ago, Indoor Owl said:

Goes against the grain of your "only thing that matters is here and now" stance, but what's your take on Rhodes' contract status given his age, history, current form, and the table circumstances?

I was thinking perhaps a move to try to resign for a couple of years for a reasonable amount and hope to carry the wage for a year in L1? Move him in January or after a year if we are stagnant? 

Looking at us and the squad, we're actually not that bad of a spot for Rhodes:  He's settled here for the last half decade, he's a 31 year old striker whose best days are behind him, and he's unlikely to play regularly at any club that would be perceived at more his level.   At Wednesday he's a big fish in a small pond now, and could hopefully be productive in L1. Plus we're unlikely to attract any decent replacement talent. 

I'm not confident we'll stay up, but could be a mutually beneficial move even if we drop, assuming he has turned the corner.

Haha I’d resisted posting on this subject. I can imagine the response it’ll prompt.

First, I don’t think he’d sign. I know he feels very poorly treated over his time here, but just maybe Moore could persuade him by saying he’ll lead the attack for every one of the 46 games he’s fit.

Would I sign him? Yes. But ONLY if he’s Moore’s out and out first pick. Otherwise no point.

A key factor is his fitness. Touch wood, he is naturally fit and healthy. Never out injured. That means we could afford to pay him more than a L1 striker could normally expect, knowing you are 95% likely to get 40/44 games out of the player. Would I rather have a Marriott and a Kachunga for a combined £25kpw, or Rhodes? Easy - Rhodes every time. He is a far better player and a far better scorer.

Moore must be impressed. How could he not be? He left Rhodes out in his first two games, then picked him v Norwich, Udders and Barnsley, where he’s looked every inch the proper lone-striker (not my preferred use of Rhodes but it has worked great) and been rewarded with 3 goals and a brilliant assist. Works well with Windass too, who is likely to be with us next season.

I don’t think it will happen, but yes that’s what I’d do if I were Moore. “Stay. You are my No 9 all next season”. Two year contract, and as you say, who knows after the first six months or 12 months we might have a promotion and a player who’s worth £1 or £1.5 again.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jamie_W said:

This isn’t the first run of games he’s ever had for us. It is the first time he’s actually had something about him though.

Glad he’s got himself together this time around though and is proving people, myself included, wrong by actually getting us some goals.

This is the most pertinent point.