Sam Hutchinson to earn new contract at Sheffield Wednesday

Be great when we are in League Two and have a 40 year old Bannan and Hutch pulling the strings in midfield. Hutch will have likely being banished again by that point, possibly training with his own children in the youth team.

You'll still have some fans crowing on about how good they are and still winners.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 2

If Sam Hutchinson leaves will we be able to replace him with better?

In the Championship possibly, in League 1 I doubt it very much.

The last time we played at the level, Jose Semedo was the best player in the league. For me Sam Hutchinson is a much better player than Jose Semedo.

I think it’d be great news if he got another year at the club.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, TrickyTrev said:

If Sam Hutchinson leaves will we be able to replace him with better?

In the Championship possibly, in League 1 I doubt it very much.

The last time we played at the level, Jose Semedo was the best player in the league. For me Sam Hutchinson is a much better player than Jose Semedo.

I think it’d be great news if he got another year at the club.

Every time a player is mentioned then it’s always “we won’t be able to replace with better” 

We are the second worst team in the second division of professional football and our midfield is one of the weakest in the league. Our players are crap, there’s plenty better out there. Instead of saying we can’t replace with better we should be working towards why that is? Is it structure? Recruitment personnel? DC? 

Semedo has never been the best player in any league.

• Love 1

1 hour ago, 83owl said:

Every time a player is mentioned then it’s always “we won’t be able to replace with better” 

We are the second worst team in the second division of professional football and our midfield is one of the weakest in the league. Our players are crap, there’s plenty better out there. Instead of saying we can’t replace with better we should be working towards why that is? Is it structure? Recruitment personnel? DC? 

Semedo has never been the best player in any league.

The year we got promoted Jose Semedo was our player of the season and in my opinion the best player in the league.

Also you seem to forget the type of player we were able to attract the last time we were in the third division, not a chance we’ll be able to attract better than Hutch when we’re back at that level.

Guest Therealrealist
1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

All players should be replaced by better players

Impossible if you have to cut the wage bill..

Guest Therealrealist
1 minute ago, gurujuan said:

As we saw last summer

Indeed but I suppose if there’s one club in the football league where you should be getting more for less it’s us...when you 

19 minutes ago, TrickyTrev said:

The year we got promoted Jose Semedo was our player of the season and in my opinion the best player in the league.

Also you seem to forget the type of player we were able to attract the last time we were in the third division, not a chance we’ll be able to attract better than Hutch when we’re back at that level.

Yes, but Jose Semedo was a brand new signing.

He was in his mid-20s and was exactly what we needed at the time. He also didn't have the baggage of relegations and all the other stuff associated with playing for this basketcase of a club.

Hutchinson has been here so long he has enough baggage to fill a jumbo jet.

10 hours ago, Therealrealist said:

Impossible if you have to cut the wage bill..

Not really.

Other teams have managed to recruit better than us and spend less but compete.

We are and have been for a while shocking at recruitment.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Bluewings said:

Not really.

Other teams have managed to recruit better than us and spend less but compete.

We are and have been for a while shocking at recruitment.

You’re not kidding With only half decent recruitment, we’d have at least had another taste of the Premier League. The lesson needs to be, less is more, with a more targeted approach needed, and less of a scattergun approach We need to stop calling for wholesale changes though, that never works. Don’t give ourselves too much to do in one window, as was the case last summer

• Like 1

I don’t really mind if Sam stays or goes. League one is a difficult league where players are often fit and strong but not always highly skilled. He will be a decent central defender and occasional midfield cover but definitely not any good for week in week out midfield duties! A lot depends on who else stays and goes. If we are light on players we will keep him I suppose, but he’s far from irreplaceable.

His attitude behind the scenes maybe questionable, but it's very rare unlike many others that he dosent put a  full shift in out on the pitch. 

I'd give him another year while we rebuild and find out half the new sqaud of players we sign are useless and we're wishing we had him back. Such is my lack of faith in us getting our recruitment right. As a cb he could be the new loovens we've missed as he's far more vocal than Lees ever was and a better organiser than bazza. We're losing (at least vanAkren, Lees, urguohide, probably borner and maybe iorfa. If that happens, That only really leaves us with Brennan & dunkerly. 

15 hours ago, RUMBELOWS91 said:

Personally I wouldn't say Bannan and Hutchinson have underperformed when they've been on the pitch.

Maybe so, that is your opinion and I will support your right to hold it, but they are the old school that have been present over the last 6 seasons, 4 of which have been very poor.

IF we want a clear out, then they should be part of the clear out, and reset the clubs and the teams, mind set

• Love 1

We have been mismanaged in recent years, so for me it’s hard to point fingers at the players alone. Absolutely we need more energy in the squad, and once we’ve balanced the side, that must be the thrust of our recruitment. As bad as last summers recruitment was, and it was bad, playing all season without a left back and centre forward, did them no favours at all. Had we addressed those two positions, I don’t believe we would be relegated The side has never looked balanced. 
Probably that means we will have to keep some of the out of contract players, and I don’t have an issue with that. Personally, I’d be looking to keep the nucleus of the side in place, a bit like Carlos did. 
Despite the club bringing in an extravagant, and unnecessary thirty odd players, Carlos kept the backbone of Gray’s side. Sadly Moore has been left no such legacy, but against that, he is likely to be doing this in a league below. We can certainly form the nucleus of a side capable of doing well in League One. Half a dozen targeted starting eleven recruits, and a couple of youngsters to develop, should do us. A good percentage of that can be achieved with loans, and Moore likes to use the loan market, with the Doncaster squad currently boasting 7 loanees. All that is doable, and certainly doesn’t require us searching for a dozen new permanent signings as some have suggested

Edited by gurujuan

18 hours ago, DeBilde'sTea said:

For league 1 wages, sure. I've a feeling he'll be needed when we have a relative of DCs in midfield and a cooker spaniel with arthritis up front next year

But thats the point,if he signs a contract whilst  we are a Championship Club,it doesnt have to be L1 wages