Life Without Bannan

3 minutes ago, NeonLeon said:

I think teams would take him as an option for games they’d expect to dominate the ball in. But I agree with the rest of what you’re saying about him not being well rounded. 

McLean, Da Silva, Cleverley, Cook, Hourihane or Bannan. Tough choice.

Hourihane any day of the week over Bannan

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NeonLeon said:

I think teams would take him as an option for games they’d expect to dominate the ball in. But I agree with the rest of what you’re saying about him not being well rounded. 

For me you can add the lad from Barnsley too he's always looked excellent when I've seen him and takes a cracking set piece at this level. 

7 minutes ago, shezzas left peg said:

He's the main man here, everything has to go through him. He gets to take all the set pieces and probably more importantly we are the ONLY side in his career who have let him play cm, None of his previous clubs played him there, they all played him out wide becouse of his limitations and deficiency in both defence and in front of goal. 

I know right now in the mess we've quickly declined into under Dc  some people are desperate for a hero, but some need to be more realistic. 

Theres very few teams in the championship that would take bannan as a cm, almost all the top 8 sides have far more all rounded cm. 

Yes he's got good vision, technique and can pass the ball, but as a complete midfielder at this level he's lacking. 

Couldn't have put it better myself.

Trying for give and goes tonight in advanced positions Bannan was awful, constantly giving the ball away. But it was all the other players fault as usual. Glad someone finally had the balls to take him off.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, NeonLeon said:

Mowatt at Barnsley a journeyman but he can power forward score from distance and round the keeper and score as well as defend. Maybe the washed up Lewis Holtby who managed to man Mark Bannan out of the game but sneak off him and score two for Blackburn against us.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Brammy said:

But according to some on here, he's the problem isn't he?

It seems like Bannan isn't the problem. Bannan is their problem. The other players' problem. They daren't take responsibility, so they just chuck it to Bannan. And when Bannan is not there, they don't know what to do because they have had no practice. Maybe Moore has seen that the other players need practice at being responsible.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, should know better said:

Mowatt at Barnsley a journeyman but he can power forward score from distance and round the keeper and score as well as defend. Maybe the washed up Lewis Holtby who managed to man Mark Bannan out of the game but sneak off him and score two for Blackburn against us.

I was just mentioning mowett, good shout there, looks a proper little tank too. 

3 minutes ago, shezzas left peg said:

For me you can add the lad from Barnsley too he's always looked excellent when I've seen him and takes a cracking set piece at this level. 

There’s a fair few you can go at to be fair. I’d say 12-15 clubs have a fair shout to say their best CM is a level above Bannan at least. 

I was watching Derby last week and Shinnie reminded me a lot of Bannan. If he’d had come through the English system like Bannan did I dare say he’d probably be getting the same hype. 

• Like 1

Just now, shezzas left peg said:

I was just mentioning mowett, good shout there, looks a proper little tank too. 

Every team in this division has a better midfielder than BB, spurns the chance to put a firm  ball across the ground and instead spins and lofts a pitching wedge ball that forwards have to fight the centre backs over.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, should know better said:

What does Journeyman mean in the land of the dee darr ?. 

1 hour ago, DlNGLE said:

It was not really a dig at him nor Barnsley, I am just fed up of how many fans blame anyone except BB.

The number of times I have heard people say none of Sheffield United midfielder's would get in our side or Hourihane is not as good as Bannan just annoys me.

Even heard " I wouldn't swap Bannan for James Maddison" when he played against us for Norwich, he was only on the pitch for minutes before having to be withdrawn injured. As time goes by all the other midfielders I mention above end up playing in the premier league, I could add Cairney, Shelvey and Mooy to the list amongst others.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, OwlsfaninNorway said:

It seems like Bannan isn't the problem. Bannan is their problem. The other players' problem. They daren't take responsibility, so they just chuck it to Bannan. And when Bannan is not there, they don't know what to do because they have had no practice. Maybe Moore has seen that the other players need practice at being responsible.

And can the start of our downfall have been our managers not seeing  this, and not letting the otehr players know that "chucking it to Bannan" is not the only solution? I seem to remember that we got Bannan not too long before our last play-off final. 

WE'VE GOT BANNAN

BARRY BANNAN

JUST DON'T THINK YOU UNDERSTAND

'CAUSE HE'S A SCOTTISH MAN

BETTER THAN ZIDANE

WE'VE GOT BARRY BANNAN

Our managers should have told the other players : Tha better be learning tha sen tha own trade even tho' we have Zidane. 😄

9 hours ago, should know better said:

It was not really a dig at him nor Barnsley, I am just fed up of how many fans blame anyone except BB.

The number of times I have heard people say none of Sheffield United midfielder's would get in our side or Hourihane is not as good as Bannan just annoys me.

Even heard " I wouldn't swap Bannan for James Maddison" when he played against us for Norwich, he was only on the pitch for minutes before having to be withdrawn injured. As time goes by all the other midfielders I mention above end up playing in the premier league, I could add Cairney, Shelvey and Mooy to the list amongst others.  

Is this your first day on earth????. 

You’re sounding as though, you didn’t know, Wensdeh fans are bell ends. 

Barry Bannan has been a fantastic free transfer signing

Bannan, I believe, always gives his all. Yes he is paid well to do so however I have no doubt he has a genuine connection with the club

Bannan is arguably our best player and technically in my opinion is the best

The problem is, for whatever reason he just cannot seem to impose himself on a game when we are struggling or more importantly when it’s drifting along

He just can’t get hold of the game by the scruff of the neck

whether that’s due to physicality or mentality I’m not entirely sure but it is the difference between a decent player and a very good player

Bannan is decent ( and very good to ones who have only seen us for a few years) but for the older ones he is no Gary Shelton 

Both similar stauture

Bannan is far more skilful

but he simply cannot impose himself on a game like Shelton

or score a overhead kick like Shelts 😉

On 04/03/2021 at 05:52, DlNGLE said:

One who drifts from club to club.

Careers Officer: "Tell me Caspar, have you ever considered a career in mining?"

Caspar: "Am not gooin' daarnt peet!"

4 hours ago, Basement Jack said:

Barry Bannan has been a fantastic free transfer signing

Bannan, I believe, always gives his all. Yes he is paid well to do so however I have no doubt he has a genuine connection with the club

Bannan is arguably our best player and technically in my opinion is the best

The problem is, for whatever reason he just cannot seem to impose himself on a game when we are struggling or more importantly when it’s drifting along

He just can’t get hold of the game by the scruff of the neck

whether that’s due to physicality or mentality I’m not entirely sure but it is the difference between a decent player and a very good player

Bannan is decent ( and very good to ones who have only seen us for a few years) but for the older ones he is no Gary Shelton 

Both similar stauture

Bannan is far more skilful

but he simply cannot impose himself on a game like Shelton

or score a overhead kick like Shelts 😉

this is a very, very good summary of Bannan.

correct - he just cant quite get hold of the game and influence it enough

IMO, its due to BOTH his physicality AND his mentality, not either

is he our best player? possibly. he doesnt have much competition for that claim right now, does he? Westwood maybe? Iorfa?