Lowest point ever ?

Lowest point ever, has to be the mid 1970's era, although we seem to be heading along the road to match it.

Losing to crap like Plymouth, Exeter in front of 6,000 or so in the ground.

Miserable cold wet days with no roof on the Kop and fans gathered in little groups to keep warm. Almost like a real life Golden Gordon moment. Found a pic online showing the poor crowds then

Large (1).jpg

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Glenn59 said:

Lowest point ever, has to be the mid 1970's era, although we seem to be heading along the road to match it.

Miserable cold wet days with no roof on the Kop and fans gathered in little groups to keep warm. Almost like a real life Golden Gordon moment. Found a pic online showing the poor crowds then

Large (1).jpg

Great picture.

One reason I put a ? in the title of my book about the period 'Our Lowest Ebb?' is that although the club hit the lowest league position (to date) - there was behind the scenes by that stage a plan. Bert McGee as chairman was beginning to sort the finances. Len Ashurst and Tony Toms were beginning to make the team more of a fighting unit. It did of course take Big Jack and another year or two for it all to come good afterwards. There's also a good amount of nostalgia/fondness for the time from (some) of the fans who stuck it out. 

• Like 5

58 minutes ago, Glenn59 said:

Large (1).jpg

I was there!  I think the difference between now and then is that we knew it could be turned round with a good manager and a few signings. We were still a big club and by 1980 we had nearly 50,000 in for a third division game. The gap between us next season and even the top of the championship is gigantic, enormous.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, 31Dec1966 said:

I was there!  I think the difference between now and then is that we knew it could be turned round with a good manager and a few signings. We were still a big club and by 1980 we had nearly 50,000 in for a third division game. The gap between us next season and even the top of the championship is gigantic, enormous.  

Agreed, one of the most important things to have as football fans is hope.  There always has to be 3 worst teams in every division, sometimes more, and it’s easy to be one of them. But you can have hope for better times ahead, it’s what keeps you going through those bad seasons.  
Right now the hope we have is very thin on the ground,  Chansiri not budging, no manager or long term plan, best young players leaving for peanuts,  fans blamed for most of the issues.   It’s almost enough to want to pack it in and go home 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Bearwood Owl1 said:

Great picture.

One reason I put a ? in the title of my book about the period 'Our Lowest Ebb?' is that although the club hit the lowest league position (to date) - there was behind the scenes by that stage a plan. Bert McGee as chairman was beginning to sort the finances. Len Ashurst and Tony Toms were beginning to make the team more of a fighting unit. It did of course take Big Jack and another year or two for it all to come good afterwards. There's also a good amount of nostalgia/fondness for the time from (some) of the fans who stuck it out. 

9 hours ago, Bearwood Owl1 said:

There's also a good amount of nostalgia/fondness for the time from (some) of the fans who stuck it out. 

Our great away support started at that point...we were so crap at home that each away match turned into an event...and by the end of the season we were taking larger away numbers than the grounds home support we were visiting...Wimbledon we had three sides of the ground at one point lol

• Like 1
  • Love 1

At least in the 70s you could afford to go every week ... you felt more connected to the club....no roof on the kop ... crap team ......BUT amazing away support...everyone knew things would eventually get better .........NOW...never felt more distanced from the club I love .....will never forgive and forget the way chansiri has s##t on the fans ....overpriced match day tickets...overpriced season tickets........The way chansiri and paxo run the club like a couple of spoilt brats .......only thing we needed this season was a decent centre forward and a passionate manager....... got neither !!.........OH for Andy McCullouch and Big Jack (RIP )................and Tony Toms for good measure 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, daveyboy66 said:

Our great away support started at that point...we were so crap at home that each away match turned into an event...and by the end of the season we were taking larger away numbers than the grounds home support we were visiting...Wimbledon we had three sides of the ground at one point lol

When you came to Exeter in 79

23 minutes ago, daveyboy66 said:

When you came to Exeter in 79 they gave you the home end as the away end wasn't big enough.happy days.

• Like 1

Sadly you will always get fans who go along regardless of the club's situation and are totally blind to all the mess we find ourselves in , I think next season though they could become a minority , I could be wrong though!

2 minutes ago, westy365owl said:

Scraping a draw with Yeovil when they was down to nine men , losing at stevenage 5 -1 or getting hammered at reading 6-0 to then go back the next year and loose 5-0 also drawing 1-1 with Dagenham all get an honorable mention from me

Losing to Chesterfield twice in 75/76 takes some beating I'll tell you 

9 hours ago, TaxiMark said:

I was at that game as well, don't even think Rushden and Diamonds are a club now .....

stadium was demolished and  now an aldi but the phoenix club afc rushden & diamonds play in the southern league back in there original ground  in rushden .......

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Watto said:

Sadly you will always get fans who go along regardless of the club's situation and are totally blind to all the mess we find ourselves in , I think next season though they could become a minority , I could be wrong though!

Going to or watching the game should always be applauded and encouraged and never criticised 

Other stuff can be done apart from boycotting games

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

10 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Going to or watching the game should always be applauded and encouraged and never criticised 

Other stuff can be done apart from boycotting games

It's not Sheffield Wednesday though is it ? Is some bastardised version of Chansiri fc for me at the moment, totally sickened by what he's done to the club and until he goes that's what I'll be doing , sorry if it offends other fans.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Watto said:

It's not Sheffield Wednesday though is it ? Is some bastardised version of Chansiri fc for me at the moment, totally sickened by what he's done to the club and until he goes that's what I'll be doing , sorry if it offends other fans.

I think that the one positive is that fans will have more say now that Chansiri is potless.

Pay-on-the day fans absenting themselves in the past, when he was in funds, would have had little impact, but now that's no longer the case.

I guess we have to hope that the pincer movement of people like you and I staying away, and the ST holders voicing their displeasure at the ground - assuming we/they're let back in - will effect change.

In reality, no matter how stubborn a chairman is, that situation would be untenable in the long run and ultimately he'd have to yield.

Unless Chansiri sells or changes the system the club will continue to slide, and he has to be made to see that.

• Like 1

On 21/02/2021 at 02:30, 31Dec1966 said:

I've always said the 0-0 draw at home to Rushden and Diamonds was my lowest point ever.  That looks like being under threat shortly. Next season it is entirely possible that we will be in a lower division than Lincoln City and Accrington Stanley.   Also very possible (probable?) that we will be playing, on level terms,  Forest Green Rovers, Cheltenham Town and Salford City.   Or maybe Morecambe or Newport.

Even more worrying is that, at the moment, ALL those teams will probably be mentally tougher than our team. They will fight till the 90th minute. 

How are we going to charge  £36 to watch Fleetwood Town ? 

How are we going to get someone to even sponsor the ball against Cheltenham Town ?

After not refunding loyal supporters (including me) for games missed nearly a year ago, not to mention THIS years ST money, how are the club going to persuade anyone to carry on paying to watch players taking home a normal years salary in a month ?  When those players don't seem to mind whether they're playing in a Sheffield derby next season or away at a village team ?

There are more important things to worry about in life but, SWFC have been a big part of my life for 50 years and, right now, football-wise, I'm in despair.

Well said young man, I applaud you!👍👍