Bannan agrees in principal a new contract

12 minutes ago, T Hardy said:

If that’s your criteria for a good midfielder (must be good at tackling, heading, score loads and assists don’t matter), you must think some of the best midfielders to have ever played the game are crap. 

20/30 years ago yeah, you’d want all your midfielders to be a physical beast who can dominate the middle of the park, but the game has evolved from that 

Physical beast, where did I post that? Surely its not too much to ask that a midfielder can at least do some of those aspects. I don't think the game has moved on that much. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, McRightSide said:

I don’t see a quote from Fletcher in there 

Just the winning changing room guy / worst manager in a decade

I can’t find it mate but I swear I remember an interview with Fletcher after he scored the winner at home to Charlton. Said something along the lines of wants to stay and Monk is the best manager he’s worked with.

15 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Thinking Barry Bannan is part of our problems!

Do you think we would get better results if we dropped him for the rest of the season? 

Most of the goals we have scored this season he has been involved in. When he plays poorly, nobody else steps up to get us a result. Even in the last couple of seasons his stats have been among the best for midfielders in terms of assists and key passes. Nobody expects him to make crunching tackles or score goals regularly. Put the right players in the team around him and he is an asset at this level, that's where are recruitment has failed, not complimenting the ability he has with other effective players. 

He is part of our problems in that the club while it had the opportunity and finance to sign someone who could do the things he can't. 5 years and it hasn't worked with him in midfield while other teams have gone about their business signing better players. We are either going to be in League One without Bannan or in the Championship with Bannan. The future's bright.

5 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Found it. Interview with Rob Staton. Said he’d love to finish his career at Wednesday

He told someone I know last May he was just waiting for the club to put something in paper under his nose. Like the Forestieri story that leaked at the time, the club waited until the 11th hour. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

The only thing which makes me feel as if Bannan will stay is that he appears to be the main man here. He might enjoy that role?

On a football level though he’d be mad to stay. Absolutely crackers in my eyes. 

lol

Think he may have his eyes in becoming our manager at some point....seems to have the confidence of DC.

Would quite welcome some sucession planning for a change.

• Like 1

Guest T Hardy
26 minutes ago, Ronnie Starling said:

Physical beast, where did I post that? Surely its not too much to ask that a midfielder can at least do some of those aspects. I don't think the game has moved on that much. 

I don’t think Iniesta or Xavi were ever very good at the aspects you mentioned 

7 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

The only thing which makes me feel as if Bannan will stay is that he appears to be the main man here. He might enjoy that role?

On a football level though he’d be mad to stay. Absolutely crackers in my eyes. 

lol

Was literally just thinking the same!

He must get something out of being here other than the money? I assume he likes his role here and enjoys his life in Sheffield (think he moved to Dore recently- that’s what I read on here anyway). 
He’s captain, gets picked for every game and gets paid pretty well.

But, if I were advising him I tell him to get one last nice big pay day and go somewhere where he isn’t the only creative player and maybe even extend his career a bit.

If we go down he’ll be off anyway, but if we stay up and he stays he’ll be the only creative player in an even worse team!

I do wonder what goes through Barry’s head when he sees Joey on the pitch next to him? Can’t be much fun!

• Like 2

Torn. Bannan is our best footballer. 31 though. Last deal.  Depreciating value.  Of course, that doesn't matter as we rarely sell anyway I don't suppose. 

The keys is....remains since he joined reslly, finding players to play with him that give us the correct balance. I don't trust us to do that. 

Thouh ph that's nothing to do with the player, who's been a highlight of the past 4 years in the main. 

If we go down he'd be the best player in League one.Or...he might find it a nightmare. Are all the games down there rough and ready big boot teats. 

Guest T Hardy
6 minutes ago, Ronnie Starling said:

You think Bannan is as good as Iniesta or Xavi? For starters when Barcelona were out of possession they were as good as anyone at winning the ball back.

I’m making the point that if you’re going to say somebody isn’t very good because they don’t tackle, don’t score many, don’t head and ‘only’ assist, then Xavi and Iniesta aren’t very good either.

Obviously Bannan is better than Xavi and Iniesta.

Guest HillsboroughOwlNI

I can see Bannan going to Celtic or Stoke. Would fit perfectly in a Michael O’Neill side, and Fletcher possibly tapping him up*

*No evidence, just a wild Penguin-like stab in the dark.