Bannan agrees in principal a new contract

12 hours ago, Emerson Thome said:

A midfielder who can't tackle but that won more tackles last season than any player in our squad bar Iorfa and has 'a handful of assists' - i.e. more assists in the last 30 years for SWFC bar anyone but David Hirst.

But maybe we can replace him with one of these mythical cheaper, better other players people know so much about. Just like we did with Fletcher.

"In our squad (which he isn't even the top performer)"? How does he compare with other Championship players? One assist every 6 games isn't great is it? These mythical midfielders are out there looking at the teams that have been promoted while we have languished in mid table. Money is no object according to our Chairman.

Ok firstly I would like to state I think Bannan staying is good news.

Now let’s pretend we’re not run by amateurs and we actually manage to stay up this year and have some idea of how we move forward. 

So my question is how do we get the best out of Bannan? ??

He is and is not going to be surrounded by the quality we had in 2015. 
Yet whoever we bring in to play in midfield along side him never seems to work.

Whatever type of midfielder we bring in along side him never seems to suit him.

Whichever formation we play never seems to get the best out of him.

In 2015 we played a attacking possession based style of football with a 442 ish system in which Bannan was deployed LM. He was however allowed to drift in through a few factors, the brilliance of Pudil at LB. The non stop movement of Lee in CM and the ability of Forestieri at CF to drift around. This suited him and he was able to effect the game in the final third which IMO is where he is at his best.

Were not going to be that good going forward for a while but are we going to try and build to something of that ilk again or are we going to persist with him playing the centre midfield quarter back role and whilst still being one of our better players not being as good as he could be and the other players and teams performances suffering as a result.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, modboy said:

Rather have Shaw than bannan tbh

This 

Should have told bannan, good bye and good luck and used Bannan's silly wage to tie down all our youngsters 

Build for the future 

Not waste a few more million on declining no bodies 

• Love 1