Bannan agrees in principal a new contract

2 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

What loyalty has he demonstrated exactly? 

I like Bannan don’t get me wrong. But not sure how he is any different to Fletcher. Both could possibly walk away at the end of their contract. 

He has signed extensions in the past when we were hardly in a good position. Fletcher saw out his original contract and no more. 

1 minute ago, hirstyboywonder said:

He has signed extensions in the past when we were hardly in a good position. Fletcher saw out his original contract and no more. 

Bannan signed a new deal summer 2018. Fair play to him. Don’t think Fletcher was offered one back then? 

Hardly a huge demonstration of loyalty. I love Bannan and hope he stays but let’s not pretend he’s going above and beyond in our time of need. He’s a footballer doing a job. Just like Fletcher was.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

What loyalty has he demonstrated exactly? 

I like Bannan don’t get me wrong. But not sure how he is any different to Fletcher. Both could possibly walk away at the end of their contract. 

He’s on of the premier assist makers in the Championship and he’s elected to stay with us since 2015 through good times and bad

Fletcher packed his bags and walked off a pitch 1 minute after coming on at the slightest hint of a contract elsewhere

Just now, McRightSide said:

He’s on of the premier assist makers in the Championship and he’s elected to stay with us since 2015 through good times and bad

Fletcher packed his bags and walked off a pitch 1 minute after coming on at the slightest hint of a contract elsewhere

And? I also wasn’t keen of Fletcher for that suspect injury when he came off after a minute against Forest. But again he was looking out for himself. As Bannan will be doing if he signs here or elsewhere. 

The fact it’s says ‘in principle’ he’s signing a new deal - that suggests to me it’s dependent on what league we were in. If he’s so loyal surely he’d sign no matter what league we’re in?

Apart from the Forest episode with Fletcher - I firmly believe both Bannan and Fletcher have given their absolute all in a Wednesday shirt. The fact we couldn’t give Fletcher a contract that matched what Stoke offered him is no stain on him. 

4 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

Unfair.  He left the pitch with a buy strain.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, SallyCinnamon said:

And? I also wasn’t keen of Fletcher for that suspect injury when he came off after a minute against Forest. But again he was looking out for himself. As Bannan will be doing if he signs here or elsewhere. 

The fact it’s says ‘in principle’ he’s signing a new deal - that suggests to me it’s dependent on what league we were in. If he’s so loyal surely he’d sign no matter what league we’re in?

Apart from the Forest episode with Fletcher - I firmly believe both Bannan and Fletcher have given their absolute all in a Wednesday shirt. The fact we couldn’t give Fletcher a contract that matched what Stoke offered him is no stain on him. 

Bannan said on 22th Jan that he hopes to have the new contract done in the next few weeks, but it was difficult with the chairman being out of the country etc 

Just now, SallyCinnamon said:

Bannan has never walked off a pitch after one minute

Bannan has signed extensions to contracts 

Bannan is still here

Bannan is still grafting for the side and putting the yards in

Bannan hasn’t rejected a contract outright

But sure, you go ahead and equate him to one of footballs best known mercenaries 

• Like 2

Just now, McRightSide said:

Bannan has never walked off a pitch after one minute

Bannan has signed extensions to contracts 

Bannan is still here

Bannan is still grafting for the side and putting the yards in

Bannan hasn’t rejected a contract outright

But sure, you go ahead and equate him to one of footballs best known mercenaries 

Evidence that Fletcher is one of footballs best known mercenaries? You’re going to have to back that up. 

Fletcher put his body on the line consistently. I know someone connected to the club who says how much of a huge influence Fletcher was behind the scenes past two seasons with the squad and the young lads.

Yes I know you’ll point to the Forest situation which certainly looks poor from him. Would like to know the full story though. Someone on here says we didn’t actually offer Fletcher a new contract until the very last minute. Might have pee’d him off? I don’t know. Hard to tell without the full story. 

Let’s hope so. But my point is Fletcher said similar this time last year. Let’s hope Bannan signs.

The situations are somewhat different. I’m sure Bannan knows what he’s signing. Fletch was on sky high wages and had to take a cut, negotiations probably fell after that 

Just now, FreshOwl said:

The situations are somewhat different. I’m sure Bannan knows what he’s signing. Fletch was on sky high wages and had to take a cut, negotiations probably fell after that 

Let’s see how it plays out. Do you think Bannan will sign regardless of what league we are in? 

Hats off to him if he signs for a League One club. 

3 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Evidence that Fletcher is one of footballs best known mercenaries? You’re going to have to back that up. 

Fletcher put his body on the line consistently. I know someone connected to the club who says how much of a huge influence Fletcher was behind the scenes past two seasons with the squad and the young lads.

Yes I know you’ll point to the Forest situation which certainly looks poor from him. Would like to know the full story though. Someone on here says we didn’t actually offer Fletcher a new contract until the very last minute. Might have pee’d him off? I don’t know. Hard to tell without the full story. 

Fletcher effectively stopped playing for us with 9 games to go to avoid getting injured when he was about to become a free agent. Do you expect Bannan to do the same this season? 

Let’s see how it plays out. Do you think Bannan will sign regardless of what league we are in? 

Hats off to him if he signs for a League One club. 

I think at this stage of his career, comfort comes into it. He’s settled with a young daughter, and is the main guy at this club.

He very well may be scouring the local clubs (Derby, Forest, Blackburn) in the area, and if he was to leave us I reckon it would be to someone of that ilk 

I’m not too confident of him staying if we drop. 60/40 on him leaving 

1 minute ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Fletcher effectively stopped playing for us with 9 games to go to avoid getting injured when he was about to become a free agent. Do you expect Bannan to do the same this season? 

No because the season will end before his contract is up. 

Was a unique set of circumstances last season where players were being asked to play for a period when they were technically no longer employed by the football club.

Thats why Nuhiu and Lee deserve the upmost respect for what they did. 

Just now, FreshOwl said:

I think at this stage of his career, comfort comes into it. He’s settled with a young daughter, and is the main guy at this club.

He very well may be scouring the local clubs (Derby, Forest, Blackburn) in the area, and if he was to leave us I reckon it would be to someone of that ilk 

I’m not too confident of him staying if we drop. 60/40 on him leaving 

I agree that I think he likes to be the main guy. Plus he’s nailed on to start every week here regardless.

7 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Ask any Sunderland fan.