Izzy Brown - Financial Penalty looming?

28 minutes ago, SiJ said:

I don't see a player with much fight tbh.

Technically, he's obviously pretty good, but he always looks half asleep when he comes on.

Agree with the sentiments regarding Chelsea and their model. They have guys on their books, who are over 25 - that never make a first team app - and are just loaned out again and again.

That Lucas Paizon just left them. He was their longest serving player, having made a grand total of 4 apps or something like that. The guy is about 26 lol

Lewis Baker is still on Chelsea's books and is 26!  Loan after loan.  They give young players 5 and 6 year contracts when they are 21 or so.  Jamal Blackman is Chelsea keeper on loan at Rotherham.  27 and never played a first team game for Chelsea!

There ought to be rules about the amount of players these Prem clubs can actually have on their books. Read a really good article on Frank Lampard's demise at Chelsea in this morning's Telegraph. Apparently they have TEN senior goalkeepers on their books, including four out on loan. WTAF.!?!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gurujuan said:

Cant comment on his fitness, but his game is about creating chances in the final third, so he’s been hamstrung by us not having any strikers Contrary to what some think, he isn’t a winger, and won’t be bombing down the flanks, before looping the ball into the middle His game is about, ball down the side of the centre backs, and setting strikers free in the box We don’t have that sort of movement up front. We don’t need a player like Izzy Brown, to simply thread balls out to the wing.

He has looked really poor,  and seemed to flap around like a fish out of water every time he has come on. As much as i dislike Pulis, if he says he is not fit enough then I guess there maybe something in it. Probably dont look after himself and given he must have a considerable bank balance does not have that desire other players have, perhaps that is why he has never really reached his potential.

25 minutes ago, Silkstone Owl said:

Absolute joke and I’m pretty sure Thompson will see through it 

we’re in a massive relegation fight and we don’t need a player who appears to stroll about and happy to play the ‘passenger’ 

Agreed, but I’m not sure whether his strolling about is due to lack of fitness or commitment - perhaps a touch of both - either way, he’s about as much use as the proverbial chocolate teapot - not what we want in a relegation fight.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Gob_Bluth said:

It suited the championship last season for Luton and before that when he was a key part of Huddersfield getting promotion...

Re: Luton - I remember the game at their place - he played well, and seemed to makes things tick. Not sure about the rest of their season, but save for a 10 point return from the last 4 games I think they'd have gone down. It begs the question why didn't he go back to them this season if he was highly rated?

Of course they may have said they wouldn't accept the clause, and we did.

39 minutes ago, Animis said:

Maybe - but surely Chelsea know we are in a battle until May, and Brown is just a luxury.

They'd be better asking SWFC to send him back and farm him out to say Cardiff or back to Huddersfield, if they'd want him.

TBH Brown's style just doesn't suit the Championship IMO. He's not good enough for the PL, and both him and Chelsea probably think he's too good for L1 - no pay back there.

I think he be better either in Scotland or the USA; a bit like the late 70s when Best, Marsh and Pele use to rock up giving exhibition performances. 

So the player who had more assists than any other per 90mins last season for the mighty Luton isn’t good enough for the championship? Really??

I mean I can see how he may not be fit for our style given that we don’t play possession football and instead choose to bypass midfield whenever possible but to say he’s not good enough at this level seems a bit of a stretch. He’s proven time and again in lessor teams with lessor players, better teams with better players that when he’s fit he’s up there with the best players in the league. 

We’ve not used him well, nor do I see us using him any better in the future. You can’t really have him and Bannan in a team that is defensively frail and hoofing it away at every opportunity. Poor recruitment bringing him in, poor selection from him choosing to come. 

12 minutes ago, Etchesketch said:

Lewis Baker is still on Chelsea's books and is 26!  Loan after loan.  They give young players 5 and 6 year contracts when they are 21 or so.  Jamal Blackman is Chelsea keeper on loan at Rotherham.  27 and never played a first team game for Chelsea!

Wow didn’t realise they were still on Chelsea’s books. That is madness.

Looking at where Baker has been, he’s been all over the world. I mean, he’s not broke through at Chelsea but that’s not a bad a career is it? Going all over the world playing football. 

I don't understand why we don't just send him back. He's played a grand total of 390 minutes under three different managers, none of whom seemed to rate him. Assuming we're paying at least part of his wages, what's the point of him being here other than to warm the bench?

Unless we were/are just so desperate for players that when we made the loan agreement we didn't include a termination clause, or we genuinely don't think we could get anyone better (transfer embargo?)

7 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

So the player who had more assists than any other per 90mins last season for the mighty Luton isn’t good enough for the championship? Really??

I mean I can see how he may not be fit for our style given that we don’t play possession football and instead choose to bypass midfield whenever possible but to say he’s not good enough at this level seems a bit of a stretch. He’s proven time and again in lessor teams with lessor players, better teams with better players that when he’s fit he’s up there with the best players in the league. 

We’ve not used him well, nor do I see us using him any better in the future. You can’t really have him and Bannan in a team that is defensively frail and hoofing it away at every opportunity. Poor recruitment bringing him in, poor selection from him choosing to come. 

Well, if you're right, I'm sure some Championship team will be taking a punt on Issy in the close season.

4 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

Pretty much sums it up, but with now Hutchinson and/or Luongo to anchor the midfield, him and Bannan are ideal to give us better creativity than most sides in this division possess. However, you need movement and a bit of a cutting edge ahead. You don’t need a Brown or a Bannan, if you constantly bypass the midfield, and your sole attacking ploy is lofted balls into the box.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Gob_Bluth said:

He played nearly 30 games for Luton, wasn't he their leading assist and chance creator?

But for whatever reason it hasn't worked out here, even though we're literally crying out for a creative midfielder, maybe he got the hump when his boy left and then Pulis came in and his face didn't fit

He was hardly a regular or pulling up any trees under 'his boy' and if that is his attitude then it is no surprise he hasn't kicked on. 

43 minutes ago, Devonstrix said:

There ought to be rules about the amount of players these Prem clubs can actually have on their books. Read a really good article on Frank Lampard's demise at Chelsea in this morning's Telegraph. Apparently they have TEN senior goalkeepers on their books, including four out on loan. WTAF.!?!

Buy-to-loan. It’s a right scam. 

Outbid the clubs that want them, and loan them back out to same clubs to make a nice little profit. 

Completely agree about number of loans allowed. 

35 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Wow didn’t realise they were still on Chelsea’s books. That is madness.

Looking at where Baker has been, he’s been all over the world. I mean, he’s not broke through at Chelsea but that’s not a bad a career is it? Going all over the world playing football. 

Not broke through, but not broke either eh? Ridiculous amounts of money in PL football these days. 

1 hour ago, gurujuan said:

Pretty much sums it up, but with now Hutchinson and/or Luongo to anchor the midfield, him and Bannan are ideal to give us better creativity than most sides in this division possess. However, you need movement and a bit of a cutting edge ahead. You don’t need a Brown or a Bannan, if you constantly bypass the midfield, and your sole attacking ploy is lofted balls into the box.

Personally I don’t think we have a solid enough base to play both Bannan and Brown. Our back 3/4/5 seems to change every week. Our game plan is seemingly keep it tight and hope for set places, lucky break, long ball to go our way.

Im not saying it couldn’t work but we either lack the quality, confidence or continuity to play possession passing football. So it’s one or the other and let’s face it, Baz just doesn’t get dropped. 

1 hour ago, Animis said:

Well, if you're right, I'm sure some Championship team will be taking a punt on Issy in the close season.

I’m sure they will, unfortunately we have the most creative player in the championship but we don’t set up to create. He’ll do just fine in another team that want to play football rather than kick and chase.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

I’m sure they will, unfortunately we have the most creative player in the championship but we don’t set up to create. He’ll do just fine in another team that want to play football rather than kick and chase.

The most creative players in the Championship?

Shocked he signed for a club on -12 points and didn't get a better offer if that is how he is regarded. Did he think we were suddenly going to start playing expansive football under Monk based on what we had offered in the previous half a season?