Izzy Brown - Financial Penalty looming?

Sheffield Wednesday face a ‘financial penalty’ from Chelsea if they don’t play on loan midfielder Izzy Brown in more games, reports The Sun on Sunday.

Brown, 24, joined Sheffield Wednesday on a season-long loan at the start of the campaign. He’s since made 15 Championship appearances for the Owls in what’s been an arduous season for both Brown and Wednesday.

• Thanks 1

Didn't we do the same with Lewis Baker years ago and Chelsea put a ban on us loaning players from them.

Think it lasted until we got Hector.

We certainly don't have a good track record with loans from Chelsea

Edited by Gob_Bluth
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, Gob_Bluth said:

Didn't we do the same with Lewis Baker years ago and Chelsea put a ban on us loaning players from them.

Think it lasted until we got Hector.

We certainly don't have a good track record with loans from Chelsea

Jimmy Smith! 

Brown isn't playing because every time he's been given a chance he's been poor. 

You can see he's got something in his locker but he's so laid back he's almost horizontal. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

How can you possibly enter into a restrictive clause like that - what is the suggestion, you play the loanee regardless of his performance levels - ridiculous.

Brown has played once for Chelsea, as a sub in 2015. He's 24 with little prospects of playing for Chelsea in future. 

Shows how mad football has become when the so-called big clubs have these demands for players they really have no interest in.

• Like 6
  • Love 1

We've 8 games in February, there'll be game time available, especially with Hutchinson finding a home at CB. 

He's not a bad player but needs time to build up some sharpness, get his eye in and a bit of form.

He's not earned the right yet, but if he can sort himself out and we preserve could be a contributor to creating more goals in this team. Wouldn't write him off, but has a lot to do and not a lot of time to prove himself.

• Like 3

Cant comment on his fitness, but his game is about creating chances in the final third, so he’s been hamstrung by us not having any strikers Contrary to what some think, he isn’t a winger, and won’t be bombing down the flanks, before looping the ball into the middle His game is about, ball down the side of the centre backs, and setting strikers free in the box We don’t have that sort of movement up front. We don’t need a player like Izzy Brown, to simply thread balls out to the wing.

• Like 4

The players seem really up for a fight. Yesterday was a great example of battling team-ethic.

I don’t see any of this from Brown. He has barely deserved his cameos, let alone a start.

I saw a hint of this from Green at Coventry. Gave the ball away for the first goal, threw his arms up and stopped chasing back - hope that was a one-off rather than his attitude. Way too soon to know. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Animis said:

How can you possibly enter into a restrictive clause like that - what is the suggestion, you play the loanee regardless of his performance levels - ridiculous.

Brown has played once for Chelsea, as a sub in 2015. He's 24 with little prospects of playing for Chelsea in future. 

Shows how mad football has become when the so-called big clubs have these demands for players they really have no interest in.

Mad isn’t it 

Chelsea: “Ok we’re happy to loan you izzie, but if he doesn’t play in at least 30 games were fining you £50k”

SWFC “Sure thing! Where do I sign?”

I mean WTF

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

What I can't understand is why this makes the national press.

It's a common occurrence  with loans between clubs, especially from the top Premier teams.

Our neighbours have had at least 2 such penalties in the last couple of years but I can't remember those being widely reported.

To be fair I’ve been surprised by how mediocre he has been. 
Staying up is the the number one priority by some margin so if Brown isn’t good enough then I can’t see how we can risk playing him regardless of any penalty.

I would love to see the contract for this. There must be a provision for injuries so I would hope a decent lawyer could make a case he isn’t fit enough to play? As evidence you could show his 30 mins against Everton where he looked ready to pass out after 15 mins! Hutchinson and Green look way fitter than Brown. 

I always thought the standard provision was for a player to be recalled if they weren’t getting games?

• Thanks 1