Coventry- V- Wednesday omdt

Thompson till the end of the season?   

342 members have voted

1. 1. Would you give Thompson till the end of the season?

• YES- we're picking up results and that's all that matter at the minute.
    • NO- We need the new man in ASAP

1 hour ago, Lord Snooty said:

image.png.6f48190b6306efe794ef6829bf6cd4ce.png

Morning all. Looking forward to the game?

I am. No I am, I know on paper it was a bit of a pasting by the toffees, well actually, it was a real pasting on the pitch once they'd got the first, but I saw plenty to be positive about didn't you? 

I mean to say, one little look at that attacking  options at their disposal. Gomes ,Rodríguez , Sigurdsson, Richarlison and  Calvert-Lewin , £200m worth of talent up against our back line, of which 4 have come through the kids and who excluding the keeper have less than ten seniors starts between them. I thought they did remarkably well. No, I did. 

And it still took two set pieces, which we always look a concern from whoever is in our back line, no matter their experience, to finally put us to bed.  Yes. I thought we did ok as a team and was delighted for the kids. Though of course I'd like to hope theirs been some clearance of the Covid in the squad and we can get some of the older heads back in for the League. Lees, Dunkley. I like the kids but a relegation scrap, only in my opinion of course, is no place for kids. 

It did get me thinking back about a few years ago. Geary, Quinn, Bromby that era. So much pressure on those young boys to bail a team out of the mire. Too much pressure and expectations.  Yes, I'm delighted for Brennan, Urhoghide and Galvin, and I hope, like young Shaw they continue to impress and push and forge their way in the game. Hopefully with us. But Dogfights are for the aged men of war. Which is why I'm happy we've brought Sam back. Though, at the same time disappointed.  Pleased we've signed a player with those attributes so needed in this situation, but how typically Wednesday to sign a player they've let go only months before. 

If anything sums our club up...it really is that. Well, that and the fact we're signing players when we have no manager!

image.png.8fa00961b7bb60d53499154eed31d02f.png

GEARY AND QUINN - TOO MUCH PRESSURE TOO SOON FOR YOUNG LADS?

Neil Thompson, sorry "Thommo" must be thinking he's got a chance here. He's done well.  Two wins and a draw in the league a win in the FA Cup and just the one defeat to a very strong Everton side. more than that there has been a different vibe about the team. We've actually been mustering a shot or two!

Yes, he might think he's got a snifter. And why not. None of us know how any manager or coach is going to do until they are in the position. East Stirlingshire didn't know how Alex Ferguson would do. He'd never managed before.  Then again. Tony Pulis had managed plenty of teams and done well.  You just don't know what will transpire, don't know how your managerial appointments will pan out.  Unless you're shopping at the very top of the game of course, Klopp, Guardiola, Mourinho. Or, getting Warnock.

Yes Thommo must think he has a sniff if he can keep this up. However, Bullen must have thought he might have a chance too when he went on an impressive run last year while in caretaker charge.  Until rumour started doing the rounds that it was on the cards and he very well might get the job...then the performances dropped off.  Under the bus? Comfort zone? Who knows, but there was a marked difference on the park as his odds started dropping. Foot off the pedal.  It will be interesting to see how the player perform the longer Thompson is in the role. 

image.png.0b60ce1ac59707c674cb88f692a5ec9b.png

Neil Thompson- He's got a mans head.  That might seem odd but I like that. There's a lot of men these days that don't have a mans head. But he has. There's something I find reassuring about that manly shaped block on his shoulders. Like a fortification. It gives me comfort in these troubling times.

One can almost imagine it as a rock sitting proud in a stormy sea something reassuring for the drowning man.

-------------------------------------------------------------

One person who is glad Thompson is in the role will be the returning Sam Hutchinon, who quipped on his return that he knew Thommo well from his various spells training with the U23's. 

At least we won't have to worry about him being frozen out instantly. It may take a new manager before that happens. If we even get one at all. The Hutchinson debate is a interesting one. Does he offer more than our current midfielders? Certainly, and while questions might be raised about his discipline, which can often be exaggerated what can never be argued is Hutchinsons burning desire when he's on the park. His drive and enthusiasm. 

Also, Sam brings something which, to my eyes, is something I seem to have see less and less of over the years, though it might just be the memory playing tricks with the passage of time - Hutchinson like players of my younger days watching Wednesday is offended when the team lose. He is offended when players get past him and does everything he can to get back, it's a bugbear of mine over the years when a player is beaten and they leisurely stroll back  or do the little hands on the hips routine. 

image.png.32ee22f7fad6d8aa6f23ce4e3dbbcfac.png

"My mans just strolled past me....oh well, still getting paid."

He loves a battle, Sam, and we have to remember...we are in a battle! A battle for our Championship lives. Will he start tonight?

Well, it might be a bit soon for someone who hasn't played a game since November. 

That said, he's generally fit, he says. Which did raise a wry smile. 

I quite liked the look of the boy Green, I thought he showed a couple of glimpses and have hopes for the lad when he reaches match fitness. I think we'll have to be careful with him not to ask too much too soon with the games coming thick and fast. It would be just our luck, and as we've seen earlier in the season, going from nothing to full throttle can really set a chap back. 

----------------------------- THE MATCH --------------------------------

COVENTRY CITY

V's

WEDNESDAY

image.png.f9486c135ebf3ddea320316da7c8f0fd.png

Jan 27, 2021

Kick Off: 7pm

Ricoh Arena

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

image.png.7e3580e57515f011e4fda9a487117f01.png

Coventry will be without Kyle McFadzean after the defender was sent off in their previous fixture at Reading.

Jordan Thompson could be provided with an opportunity in his place, while Ben Sheaf and Maxime Biamou will hope to earn recalls to the first XI.

Mark Robins will be eager for his side to produce a response as soon as possible.

While they are not in any immediate danger of dropping into the relegation zone, Coventry can see some of the teams below them improving significantly, putting them under pressure to get another three points on the board.

Goals are the biggest issue for this side with just two strikes being netted during their recent disappointing period, both of which came in a win away at Millwall.

image.png.168d0ea108292a94ac7014b46cc36144.png

Coventry City possible starting lineup:
Wilson

Thompson   Ostigard   Hyam

Dabo  Hamer  Sheaf   McCallum

O'Hare   Gyokeres   Shipley

------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------

image.png.92e566a2ca46237ad1a0f9fc9bd0263c.png

Wednesday have been showing signs of improvement under caretaker boss Neil Thompson.

Before Sunday's 3-0 defeat at Everton in the FA Cup fourth round, the Owls had collected seven points from Thompson's three games in change since replacing Tony Pulis.

Having watched Derby County register successive wins over the past week, Thompson will be aware that one defeat may lead to the club's hierarchy replacing him with a more experienced head.

However, claiming three points in the West Midlands on Wednesday evening will only strengthen calls for the 57-year-old to be handed the reins on a permanent basis.

Providing that he receives international clearance, Sam Hutchinson could feature for Wednesday after his return to the club.

Josh Windass is one of a number of players who could be recalled to the team with Andre Green expected to drop down to the substitutes' bench. Osaze Urhoghide may continue in defence if Thompson opts against taking any risks on Cheyenne Dunkley

image.png.5e7a004f49518f59dd40b0ac21d3ae28.png

Sheffield Wednesday possible starting lineup:
Wildsmith

Dunkley   Brennan  Borner  

Harris    Hutchinson    Bannan    Penney

Reach    Green

Paterson

--------------------------------------------------

FORM GUIDE

Coventry C Championship form: D L D L W L

Wednesday Championship form: L L W W

----------------------------------------------

AS IT STANDS...

P       W       D       L        F        A       GD     PTS

image.png.978244b001985ecbc0dfc5ae044817bf.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

COME 

ON

WEDNESDAY!

There's a lot of men these days that don't have a mans head. 😂😂😂😂

So very true 😂

Huge game tonight UTO 

Very important game this.

Not only because of our perilous position and it being a proverbial 6 pointer, but if we win it will continue a real turnaround in form in the league and give Thompson and the team some real confidence...

If we lose we'll start to be cut adrift somewhat and they'll be increased calls for a new manager and that Thompson "isn't up to it"... No pressure lads!

lol

COME ON YOU BLUE AND WHITE WIZARDS!!

• Like 3

Guest LondonOwl313

Big one this. Tbh when Pulis came in and we had that tough run of fixtures and after Norwich we had 9 points from 16. I looked at the next 9 ‘easier’ games and thought to be in the mix we’d need to get 16 points (5 wins and a draw) to leave us on 25 from 25. We then went and lost to Huddersfield, Barnsley and Forest and at that point we looked down.

But wins against Coventry and Wycombe would get us to 25 from 25. Don’t think it’s done us any favours having to delay these games.. but 17th is on 27 and 21st is on 25. We need the two wins to get us in to a position where it’s basically 1 team to go down from 6 with 21 games left. Not winning means we give the others a head start.

We need to win tonight otherwise we could be bottom. All other teams down below are hitting form. Very Disappointing we haven't picked up another striker. My team, considering injuries/covid

Wildsmith

Uri,  Brennan, Borner, Van Aken

Green, Hutch, Bannan, Reach

Windass,  Paterson