Liam Shaw - Celtic?

3 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Hirst and Clare wanted more than we offered them. It has seemingly turned out OK for Hirst's bank balance but 3 years on he is currently proving he can't cut it at this level.

Clare is now playing for a team struggling to stay in League One.

Shaw has had about half a dozen good games for the first team, Clare had similar. I hope he stays but if he chooses not to then only time will tell if it is a bad decision.  

It’s just the principle isn’t it though. At the time Hirst and Clare were our most promising academy players. Regardless of what they’ve gone on to do, we lost them for nothing.

Leicester bid 2m for Hirst, which looking how his career has gone, was a fantastic offer at the time. We turned it down, he left and we didn’t even get any compensation. Terrible business. 

If we keep letting our best young talents run down their contracts and leave for free, sooner or later it will bite us on the backside. We lost money on Hirst. Potentially lost money on Clare. And if Shaw develops at the rate he’s going we will lose money on him.

Let’s hope we get it sorted.

2 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

It’s just the principle isn’t it though. At the time Hirst and Clare were our most promising academy players. Regardless of what they’ve gone on to do, we lost them for nothing.

Leicester bid 2m for Hirst, which looking how his career has gone, was a fantastic offer at the time. We turned it down, he left and we didn’t even get any compensation. Terrible business. 

If we keep letting our best young talents run down their contracts and leave for free, sooner or later it will bite us on the backside. We lost money on Hirst. Potentially lost money on Clare. And if Shaw develops at the rate he’s going we will lose money on him.

Let’s hope we get it sorted.

The way we deal with transfer in general leaves a lot to be desired, can't argue with that. The stubborn approach to the Hirst saga lost us a fee but had we given him a 1st team wage his current form 3 years later suggests that would have been a mistake too. 

I am willing to wait to see how this pans out before condemning the club for it based on what is in the press so far though. A good transfer rumour to gets page views up at this time of year is exactly what media outlets are looking for. 

34 minutes ago, Hitcat said:

Except he won't play. But other than that. As for committing to a team without a manager, why commit to another who, if you believe reports is just about to sack theirs?

If they do sack him, I’d expect them to appoint a new manager within a few days like Cardiff and Chelsea have done this week.

We must be the first club since the January transfer window was introduced to go through the entire month of January without a manager

To be fair with Hirst the 2m offer and compensation we should’ve got are pretty similar. Leicester were the bad guys there as in regular business terms we would be due payment anyway. 

If we had just sold him out the blue I guess many would say that was bad business too.

Guest Willow Owl
4 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

To be fair with Hirst the 2m offer and compensation we should’ve got are pretty similar. Leicester were the bad guys there as in regular business terms we would be due payment anyway. 

If we had just sold him out the blue I guess many would say that was bad business too.

A lot of fans were also calling for us to give Hirst what he wanted and give him a long term contract. Looks like we were right not to give in to his demands. 

Shaw put in some promising performances, but it is not about how well he did, but what he offers. 

It is not often that 6'4" player with his mobility, touch and such quick feet comes along. There are precious few and if they turn out ok they are worth their weight in gold. 

In order to win big we must gamble and I don’t believe it would be a huge gamble to keep Liam Shaw here. Lets just treat him as a first team player, not  as an expandable kid that can be replaced in a blink of an eye. 

After all, we are paying some trully awful players much more then (I believe) would take to keep him here. 

If it is true that we offered him 1 year deal it sends message to both him and as fans that he is not really wanted. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, malek said:

Shaw put in some promising performances, but it is not about how well he did, but what he offers. 

It is not often that 6'4" player with his mobility, touch and such quick feet comes along. There are precious few and if they turn out ok they are worth their weight in gold. 

In order to win big we must gamble and I don’t believe it would be a huge gamble to keep Liam Shaw here. Lets just treat him as a first team player, not  as an expandable kid that can be replaced in a blink of an eye. 

After all, we are paying some trully awful players much more then (I believe) would take to keep him here. 

If it is true that we offered him 1 year deal it sends message to both him and as fans that he is not really wanted. 

Agree that a 1-year deal for him is pretty pointless, we'd just be in the same situation a year down the line. Giving Dawson and Wildsmith long contracts has provided him with something to use as a comparison in that respect.  

I doubt he is wanting us to break the bank and if the worst was to happen and we were to get relegated he would have to fall in line with the league salary cap like everyone else wouldn't he?

Lets hope it gets resolved to suit all sooner rather than later. 

Young players leave their parent clubs all the time for nothing, usually due to lack of opportunity. Shaw has a chance to establish himself at his boyhood club. Why move miles away to a turd league and risk sitting in their u23s for a year?

45 minutes ago, malek said:

Bang on. 

Shaw has all the attributes to be a top player. A deal should have been sorted by now. Really shouldn’t be leaving it a few months before he can walk away for free.

• Like 1

Just now, malek said:

who's truly awful ?.....we got a few who are pretty average but just coz players like kachunga,brown,penney ,rhodes, dele, marriott dont  get much game time  dosnt make them truly awful . 

He would be silly to go, just finding  his feet, stay in your comfort zone, gain confidence and experience, time is on your side don't rush in, follow your instincts and the ones of whom care for you, beware of the averiscous agents, be loyal, it will stand you in good stead. 

26 minutes ago, debram said:

He would be silly to go, just finding  his feet, stay in your comfort zone, gain confidence and experience, time is on your side don't rush in, follow your instincts and the ones of whom care for you, beware of the averiscous agents, be loyal, it will stand you in good stead. 

For a moment, just stop and think for a bit about what kind of a message we are sending him if we trully offered him only one year deal. 

I for one wouldn't blame him if it made him feel underated and unappreciated and made him want to leave for a club that would treat him better. 

1 minute ago, basegreenowl said:

Don't want another George Hirst situation occurring here. Where he just walks and we get just runner beans. Surely DC needs to sort this one. This will prove if he is capable of building on his previous failings. 

Suppose it depends on a couple of things.................

Is the rumour true or just agent talk ?

If it's just agent talk Shaw will sign a new contract.

How much does Shaw's agent want for his player ?

If it's something daft like Hirst was reported wanting then I would guess it's Shaw's decision.

• Like 2

Just now, debram said:

loyalty wont be shown by the club  if he does his knee this weekend  that fecks up his career .......6 months on around 2  grand a week or a3- 4 year deal on say 10k a week guaranteed  is a no brainer .

• Like 3
  • Love 1