Liam Shaw - Celtic?

1 hour ago, CircleSeven said:

In all fairness Shaw should be speaking to other clubs for no other reason than to see if what we offer him is reasonable in the current marketplace!

If I were in his (or indeed his agents) position I’d stay here right now. At the end of the day he is getting game time here. The thing that increases value of a player more than anything is playing and playing well. 

If he wants the big money longer term he should stay at the club that has got him to where he is right now. Put in a couple of good years and then either settle in on a nice salary or move for bigger money or indeed move on then. 

Moving now is a big risk for him. 

I agree with this, other than if he continues to play the way he has been for the rest of the season he could be off sooner than the couple of years you suggest.

In fairness he would probably then go with everyone’s blessing.  He would get the opportunity to develop his career and his boyhood club would do well financially .  It would seem to be a fair result
To be honest though, and probably in fantasy land, I would love it if we stayed up this year, progressed with the youngsters playing and his career developed without moving. 
😴dream on......

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Minesapint said:

I agree with this, other than if he continues to play the way he has been for the rest of the season he could be off sooner than the couple of years you suggest.

In fairness he would probably then go with everyone’s blessing.  He would get the opportunity to develop his career and his boyhood club would do well financially .  It would seem to be a fair result
To be honest though, and probably in fantasy land, I would love it if we stayed up this year, progressed with the youngsters playing and his career developed without moving. 
😴dream on......

There is nothing fantasy about us staying up mate. We have absolutely everything to play for.

16 minutes ago, edinburghowl said:

If Shaw knows what is good for him he will sign a new deal here. Celtic are a bigger club, he will play in bigger games and have the opportunity to win things there, and yes they will be able to pay higher wages than Wednesday, but like us they are a shambles on and off the pitch at the moment. 

He will play at Wednesday, especially if we are relegated, it’s almost certain that he won’t play regularly at Celtic, he could even up going out on loan. It will be far far better for his development to stay at Wednesday and play first team football and that is important at his age.

Glasgow has been a graveyard for so many talented youngsters careers over the years. I’ve seen it loads

Do you think John Stones should have stayed at Barnsley aswell?

1 hour ago, camffiti said:

Noticing an uptick in 'Sh*t Anyway' posts 

So Shaw must be on his way 

He has only played a handful of games, he looks promising, but will he progress who knows. TBF in our current squad it doesn't take much to look better than most. I certainly would like him to stay but won't lose any sleep if he goes. Whatever happened to Sean Clare!?

2 minutes ago, pat blondeau said:

Big difference there. Stones was joining a club that have a record of developing players. Celtic have a long history of hoovering up young players whose careers go on to stagnate 

3 minutes ago, edinburghowl said:

Big difference there. Stones was joining a club that have a record of developing players. Celtic have a long history of hoovering up young players whose careers go on to stagnate 

I wouldn’t have said van Dijk, Tierney and Hooper stagnated as young players there

7 minutes ago, pat blondeau said:

I wouldn’t have said van Dijk, Tierney and Hooper stagnated as young players there

I’ll give you Tierney - he is the one recent example they have of developing a top player. Hooper had played nearly 200 games when he joined Celtic, Van Dijk was age 22 (hardly a young player) and again had played far more than Shaw. Not comparable 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, pat blondeau said:

Hooper was a lot further on in his career. He was 23 I think and played a few years starting many games in the English lower leagues. Van Dijk was also older and had a couple of full seasons under his belt.

Just now, edinburghowl said:

I’ll give you Tierney - he is the one recent example they have of developing a top player. Hooper had played nearly 200 games when he joined Celtic, Van Dijk was age 22 (hardly a young player) and again had played far more than Shaw. Not comparable 

Beat me to it!

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, edinburghowl said:

Glasgow has been a graveyard for so many talented youngsters careers over the years. I’ve seen it loads

We could do a Pukki.. ship him to Celtic, watch him not fulfil the huge expectations and subsequently move to Denmark, then snap him up as a ready player.

Only takes a couple of years you know.

30 minutes ago, pat blondeau said:

19 minutes ago, pat blondeau said:

You are using some strange examples here mate. The development opportunities and the general level of provision at Manchester City is a world away from Celtic in relation to Stones.

Van Dijk signed for Celtic for over £2.5M in 2013, which shows he wasn't some young player just breaking into first team football, Gary Hooper was 23 and had around 200 first team games under his belt. Even Tierney is not a fair comparison as he had been at the club since he was about 7 so his development was completely through their club. 

There will be plenty of young players that we have never heard of that Celtic took on but didn't make it and ended up playing 2nd or 3rd division football in Scotland. It would be a risk for him. 

14 minutes ago, edinburghowl said:

Dembele is another one. Signed for Celtic as a 19 year old and 2 years later went to Lyon for £20 million.

What’s our history of developing young players?

Obviously like all of us I hope Shaw stays but if there is this interest from other clubs I wouldn’t blame him for going 

1 minute ago, hirstyboywonder said:

You are using some strange examples here mate. The development opportunities and the general level of provision at Manchester City is a world away from Celtic in relation to Stones.

Van Dijk signed for Celtic for over £2.5M in 2013, which shows he wasn't some young player just breaking into first team football, Gary Hooper was 23 and had around 200 first team games under his belt. Even Tierney is not a fair comparison as he had been at the club since he was about 7 so his development was completely through their club. 

There will be plenty of young players that we have never heard of that Celtic took on but didn't make it and ended up playing 2nd or 3rd division football in Scotland. It would be a risk for him. 

Stones signed for Everton from Barnsley as an 18 year old

50 minutes ago, Pieman said:

There is nothing fantasy about us staying up mate. We have absolutely everything to play for.

Too true. Should have really said after staying up.  It was the future, with the kids playing,  I was specifically daydreaming about 

Just now, pat blondeau said:

Stones signed for Everton from Barnsley as an 18 year old

Fair point but again, Everton in the Premier League is different from going to Celtic in the SPL. Opens up far more doors and opportunities if you can break through at that level. Playing in Scotland is little different to playing in the Championship, Celtic and Rangers aside. The level of opposition they are up against makes it hard to stand out as being capable at a better level, unless you really stand out and as has been said, he is unlikely to go straight into playing regularly. 

5 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Fair point but again, Everton in the Premier League is different from going to Celtic in the SPL. Opens up far more doors and opportunities if you can break through at that level. Playing in Scotland is little different to playing in the Championship, Celtic and Rangers aside. The level of opposition they are up against makes it hard to stand out as being capable at a better level, unless you really stand out and as has been said, he is unlikely to go straight into playing regularly. 

Agree on the standard of the opposition but the exposure and media spotlight you’d get playing at Celtic would be a long way ahead of what it is with us.

Look at the players I’ve named who’ve had a big move from Celtic. How many have had a big move from us?

We’ll see what happens for the remainder of this week anyway. If we don’t beat Coventry or Preston we’re staring at League 1 so would be even more difficult to persuade him to stay. 

If you had several options, would you commit your long term future to a club that doesn’t even have a manager?

• Haha 1

What a great guy Eberechi Eze is.

He signed a new contract with QPR as thanks for developing him as a player knowing that he would soon move on.

QPR were paid £15 million by Palace when he moved last summer.

He will always be loved by their fans and I hope Shaw has similar blood.

• Like 1