Liam Shaw - Celtic?

Asked about his intentions early last month, Shaw said: “It’s my boyhood club, it’s a dream to play for this club, it always is every time I go out there - it’d be perfect to stay.

“We’re in talks, but my agent’s sorting that out so I can’t really comment on that.

“Hopefully it’ll be done soon.”

I hope this is all just rumours. Is there a possibility that this has all come from his agent? Spark some false interest in him to force the issue on him signing a new (and improved) contract with Wednesday? 

If he's worried about us getting relegated (which tbh we are in a relegation dogfight at the moment) then we should just sign him with a relegation release clause drawn in.

If he does go at the end of the season then that is a serious case of bad business by the football club. 

49 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

It would be nice to keep him for a couple of extra years to see how he develops, but I would say that there remain some quite significant gaps in his game before he could become a Championship starter every week.

Actually agree with this. He has much to learn yet. 

Guest Therealrealist
5 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Ah, I see.

Now that you've explained that it's just how it is, I feel much better about the prospect that the most promising player to emerge from our academy in years might leave for a relative pittance.

The other week the most promising player to emerge from the academy was Alex Hunt..

If the interest is real, its a fantastic opportunity for him.  He's already shown he has a decent chance of cutting it at Championship level standard, which would stand him in good stead of some game time at Celtic and he wouldn't just sit and rot in the reserves.  

Like most smart footballers, when your stock is high you have to make the most of it, because who knows what tomorrow will bring.  I've said in other threads, but one thing which stands him apart from other bright early impressions for other young players (Clare, Penney etc), is that he is the perfect build for a modern footballer - tall, physical, athletic, not without pace and a good touch on him.  For a club like Celtic, they'll see those attributes and think there is definitely a strong base to work from.

I was not that fussed when Clare and Hirst slipped away, I think they'd either flattered to deceive or hadn't proved themselves at all.  I think Shaw is a different level to these, and will be a huge shame if we can't sort out his contract.  But being a Wednesday fan won't save it for us, and if there is genuine interest from clubs like Celtic, put yourself in his shoes and compare that to how we're being run at the moment; an ongoing manager malaise, wages in the not too distant past being paid late, staring down the face of League 1, etc.  Hardly screams the place to be. 

• Like 1

Just now, Therealrealist said:

The other week the most promising player to emerge from the academy was Alex Hunt..

Was he?

He's another good prospect, yes.

He hasn't made the transition to first-team football as easily as Shaw at this point, though.

I'd rather not lose either for a nominal fee, especially given the state of our finances.

It's got to be a sensible deal though hasn't it. Let's be honest none of us know what has been offered or even if the Celtic interest is genuine. If he was to go to Celtic he will be more under the microscope than he is here. There will be no room for error or development unless the plan is for him to go into their U23's. The Celtic fans are even more on the edge than our lot. He would need to hit the ground running. I like the kid, he's clearly got some potential but like I say the deal has got to be sensible. We've been burnt by handing out lengthy contracts before.

39 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

If I was Liam Shaw I'd be off like a shot

Don't worry I'm sure his agent will e advising him to do just that.

Let's be honest if he shines up in Scotland against largely inferior players/teams (will be easier to impress), he will be a multi-million pound player and get paid accordingly when he moves on.

My point is, it's far more likely he will become rich by playing up there than for us.

Should’ve sorted his contract out a long while back as it became apparent he was a player with a good future. Now every scout in the land will have him on their radar and their clubs will know our owner’s niaivity, so will see an opportunity for a bargain signing.

We are so badly run as a football club. Come back Milan, you may have been tight, but you knew how to run a football club, and had a decent business head on your shoulders. Sadly lacking here at the moment. 

• Like 2

If he does leave at the end of the season the official line from the club will be Shaw/his agent being greedy.

Chansiri laid the foundations for thst claim last month when he said his agent was asking for more now he was getting games in the first team.

Our willingness to chuck good money after bad on over the hill valueless players, but skimp on promising assets is so demoralising as a fan.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Roscoe P. Coltrane said:

Club has been a shambles for 4 years and counting.

The club has been a shambles at the top since before we left the premier league