Liam Shaw - Celtic?

Guest Therealrealist
3 hours ago, billyblack said:

He will be gone. Another one we dallied around too long

Another one?? Who are all these superstars we have let thru the net? 

Haven't a number of our players' contracts  had an option for the club to extend by a year included, was certainly the case with Matt Penney any a couple of others (though I can't fully recall). I hope this is the case here.

6 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Ah, I see.

Now that you've explained that it's just how it is, I feel much better about the prospect that the most promising player to emerge from our academy in years might leave for a relative pittance.

What's the alternative whinging about it ain't going to alter the situation ,you cant make players sign new contracts ..get what we can and move on .

48 minutes ago, NeonLeon said:

If he does leave at the end of the season the official line from the club will be Shaw/his agent being greedy.

Chansiri laid the foundations for thst claim last month when he said his agent was asking for more now he was getting games in the first team.

Our willingness to chuck good money after bad on over the hill valueless players, but skimp on promising assets is so demoralising as a fan.

How dare he ask for more after getting a run of first team games, scoring goals and mom awards. Lad should be on 500 quid a week and be grateful for it.

47 minutes ago, Therealrealist said:

Another one?? Who are all these superstars we have let thru the net? 

There's a long list of superstars, in fact its that long that no one has got enough time to put them all down 

44 minutes ago, torryowl said:

What's the alternative whinging about it ain't going to alter the situation ,you cant make players sign new contracts ..get what we can and move on .

No, but you can negotiate new contracts with more than six months to go on their current one, especially if they've started to show some promise.

It's not 'whinging' to point out that this situation should have been entirely avoidable.

And to suggest that those who've criticised the club's failure to sell players in order to avoid breaching P&S rules should somehow now be happy that we may have a promising young player poached for next to nothing is laughable. They're two sides of the same coin: namely, our incompetent transfer dealings of recent years.

Hopefully nothing comes of this and Shaw signs a new deal at Hillsborough, but if not, the chairman needs to use this as a wake up call to get his house in order.

Edited by areNOTwhatTHEYseem

Don't think there's much in this. The article stated other players too, I think it's just someone brought to their attention.

Shaw will know he needs to play regular games to develop, he's only just starting to become a regular for us. Clearly the best thing for him is to stay and build up his value here. We've offered a contract and it sounds like he'll be accepting it soon from what I've heard.

11 minutes ago, swfc-dan said:

Don't think there's much in this. The article stated other players too, I think it's just someone brought to their attention.

Shaw will know he needs to play regular games to develop, he's only just starting to become a regular for us. Clearly the best thing for him is to stay and build up his value here. We've offered a contract and it sounds like he'll be accepting it soon from what I've heard.

We all hope so. Has a very bright future ahead of him, hopefully as a Wednesday player, and as part of a resurgent side with renewed vigour and focus.

1 hour ago, theowlsman said:

Should’ve sorted his contract out a long while back as it became apparent he was a player with a good future. Now every scout in the land will have him on their radar and their clubs will know our owner’s niaivity, so will see an opportunity for a bargain signing.

We are so badly run as a football club. Come back Milan, you may have been tight, but you knew how to run a football club, and had a decent business head on your shoulders. Sadly lacking here at the moment. 

At the end of the day it's Shaw who will make the decision of where he will play, no doubt his agent will be tempting him with a bigger pay packet from another club. 

I doubt the club are going to offer more than they can afford, but that's business. 

• Like 1

In all fairness Shaw should be speaking to other clubs for no other reason than to see if what we offer him is reasonable in the current marketplace!

If I were in his (or indeed his agents) position I’d stay here right now. At the end of the day he is getting game time here. The thing that increases value of a player more than anything is playing and playing well. 

If he wants the big money longer term he should stay at the club that has got him to where he is right now. Put in a couple of good years and then either settle in on a nice salary or move for bigger money or indeed move on then. 

Moving now is a big risk for him. 

34 minutes ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

1  Red card challenge.

1 Tap in goal.

1 Run up the wing from centre back.

1 Perfect assist.

Well done Liam Keep it up ! 

The hottest prospect since err sorry I forgot all our superstar youngsters that have moved onto greater things

I will be back when I get the list together.

If Shaw knows what is good for him he will sign a new deal here. Celtic are a bigger club, he will play in bigger games and have the opportunity to win things there, and yes they will be able to pay higher wages than Wednesday, but like us they are a shambles on and off the pitch at the moment. 

He will play at Wednesday, especially if we are relegated, it’s almost certain that he won’t play regularly at Celtic, he could even up going out on loan. It will be far far better for his development to stay at Wednesday and play first team football and that is important at his age.

Glasgow has been a graveyard for so many talented youngsters careers over the years. I’ve seen it loads