Liam Shaw - Celtic?

1 minute ago, pat blondeau said:

Agree on the standard of the opposition but the exposure and media spotlight you’d get playing at Celtic would be a long way ahead of what it is with us.

Look at the players I’ve named who’ve had a big move from Celtic. How many have had a big move from us?

We’ll see what happens for the remainder of this week anyway. If we don’t beat Coventry or Preston we’re staring at League 1 so would be even more difficult to persuade him to stay. 

If you had several options, would you commit your long term future to a club that doesn’t even have a manager?

But the players you mentioned were already established players when they moved to Celtic, not a kid with a dozen or so starts. Tierney being the exception, but everyone in the game could see he was a class apart. 

Even the one article that this link comes from suggests he is very unlikely to start regularly any time soon. Plenty of young players thinking Celtic was a spotlight will have fell by the wayside in recent years, certainly more than have earned big moves. 

I agree that we don't look like an attractive prospect right now but as a Wednesday fan at 19 having just broke into the first team I would be seeing it as a great chance. If we were to be relegated then he would play all the time and if he does continue to show he can play at this level then he would get offers anyway.

You say several options - how many of these 'options' look genuine and have come from reputable sources? I might be wrong but to me it seems like interest generated as part of contract negotiations. 

Guest Hornsby
33 minutes ago, Owls Loyal said:

What a great guy Eberechi Eze is.

He signed a new contract with QPR as thanks for developing him as a player knowing that he would soon move on.

QPR were paid £15 million by Palace when he moved last summer.

He will always be loved by their fans and I hope Shaw has similar blood.

And same savy agent. If Doyen mob again, we will get robbed, just like  Hirsty.

But works both ways. We got Fletch free.

31 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

But the players you mentioned were already established players when they moved to Celtic, not a kid with a dozen or so starts. Tierney being the exception, but everyone in the game could see he was a class apart. 

Even the one article that this link comes from suggests he is very unlikely to start regularly any time soon. Plenty of young players thinking Celtic was a spotlight will have fell by the wayside in recent years, certainly more than have earned big moves. 

I agree that we don't look like an attractive prospect right now but as a Wednesday fan at 19 having just broke into the first team I would be seeing it as a great chance. If we were to be relegated then he would play all the time and if he does continue to show he can play at this level then he would get offers anyway.

You say several options - how many of these 'options' look genuine and have come from reputable sources? I might be wrong but to me it seems like interest generated as part of contract negotiations. 

I hope you’re right anyway... I think after following Wednesday for the last couple of years I just expect the worst with situations like this.

Dawson and Pelupessy are the only players I can recall renewing their contracts in the last 2 years.

It’s clear the potential he has so be great to have some positive news out of the club for a change 

4 minutes ago, pat blondeau said:

I hope you’re right anyway... I think after following Wednesday for the last couple of years I just expect the worst with situations like this.

Dawson and Pelupessy are the only players I can recall renewing their contracts in the last 2 years.

It’s clear the potential he has so be great to have some positive news out of the club for a change 

I'm not saying we have gone about this in the right way. Shaw signed a 30-month deal at the end of 2018. I would have much preferred if we had offered him another year under similar terms in 2019. That way we would now have him still tied down for another 18 months but under a relatively small contract. Now he is in a position to negotiate a much better deal having broken into the team and done well. I am just hopeful that he does see a future with us and that at this stage, the external interest that has been reported, has not come from hugely trusted sources and his other options if there are any would be more of a risk. 

There was plenty of criticism from some when Clare wasn't tied down to a contract but the decision he took hasn't done him any favours so far. He was further along in his progress than Shaw due to his age and had he stayed he would probably have got more 1st team games with us and more exposure than he had in Scotland, which has now resulted in him moving to struggling Burton to try and get a regular game. 

59 minutes ago, Owls Loyal said:

What a great guy Eberechi Eze is.

He signed a new contract with QPR as thanks for developing him as a player knowing that he would soon move on.

QPR were paid £15 million by Palace when he moved last summer.

He will always be loved by their fans and I hope Shaw has similar blood.

Eze was one of the best midfielders in the league, had 10+ assists the season before so was always going to move on. Shaw is still potential at this stage.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

If Celtic are serious and they want him I can’t see him staying with us. Couldn’t really blame him for leaving. Just so annoying we would lose a talented young player for next to nothing. Yet more pathetic dealings from the club. 

It hasn't happened yet and there is little to suggest any genuine accuracy in these reports at the moment. Plenty to beat the club up for without labeling this pathetic on the basis of a link from a Celtic fan site. 

Guest Grandad
22 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

It hasn't happened yet and there is little to suggest any genuine accuracy in these reports at the moment.

4 minutes ago, Grandad said:

Now the Star is seen as a source to be relied upon! 

Very real interest but it just interest? What does that even mean, transfer window closes soon, best do something with their 'very real interest' if they are that bothered. 

Just now, hirstyboywonder said:

Very real interest but it just interest? What does that even mean, transfer window closes soon, best do something with their 'very real interest' if they are that bothered. 

Why would they do something now when they can just wait and pick him up for free in the summer? 

Guest Grandad
2 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

If it does happen its more likely to happen at the end of the season than January

And we'll lose him for nowt

1 hour ago, pat blondeau said:

Agree on the standard of the opposition but the exposure and media spotlight you’d get playing at Celtic would be a long way ahead of what it is with us.

Look at the players I’ve named who’ve had a big move from Celtic. How many have had a big move from us?

We’ll see what happens for the remainder of this week anyway. If we don’t beat Coventry or Preston we’re staring at League 1 so would be even more difficult to persuade him to stay. 

If you had several options, would you commit your long term future to a club that doesn’t even have a manager?

Except he won't play. But other than that. As for committing to a team without a manager, why commit to another who, if you believe reports is just about to sack theirs?

1 minute ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Why would they do something now when they can just wait and pick him up for free in the summer? 

It won't be for free at his age. The price now would likely not be much different to what it would be in the summer, though we wouldn't be able to prevent the move if he wasn't under contract. 

Time will tell but 12 pages of getting our knickers in a twist over a forum rumour is a bit much.

Might go on a Rangers forum and state they are interested in Rhodes.......

2 minutes ago, Grandad said:

If it does happen its more likely to happen at the end of the season than January

And we'll lose him for nowt

Just now, hirstyboywonder said:

It won't be for free at his age. The price now would likely not be much different to what it would be in the summer, though we wouldn't be able to prevent the move if he wasn't under contract. 

Time will tell but 12 pages of getting our knickers in a twist over a forum rumour is a bit much.

Thought we would only lose him for nowt if he tried to use a loophole and spend some time in a Belgian backwater first.......

4 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Athletic reported it originally I believe. And Crann has just confirmed the interest is real.

Promising young player linked with move away at the end of his contract. Bound to get 12 pages at least. We’ve been in this boat before. Let’s not hope history repeats itself? 

4 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Thought we would only lose him for nowt if he tried to use a loophole and spend some time in a Belgian backwater first.......

Get a tiny bit of compensation or get him tied down to a contract, develop him and sell him for a lot of money in the future. 

The 2nd choice is what a switched on football club would do. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

I'm not saying we have gone about this in the right way. Shaw signed a 30-month deal at the end of 2018. I would have much preferred if we had offered him another year under similar terms in 2019. That way we would now have him still tied down for another 18 months but under a relatively small contract. Now he is in a position to negotiate a much better deal having broken into the team and done well. I am just hopeful that he does see a future with us and that at this stage, the external interest that has been reported, has not come from hugely trusted sources and his other options if there are any would be more of a risk. 

There was plenty of criticism from some when Clare wasn't tied down to a contract but the decision he took hasn't done him any favours so far. He was further along in his progress than Shaw due to his age and had he stayed he would probably have got more 1st team games with us and more exposure than he had in Scotland, which has now resulted in him moving to struggling Burton to try and get a regular game. 

To be fair Clare was pretty average at Hearts and I don’t see him doing anything outstanding  with his career. Hearts were happy to move him on when the offer came.

I don’t think he would have done much if he had stayed at Hillsborough either. Wednesday didn’t lose out there IMO. 

2 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Get a tiny bit of compensation or get him tied down to a contract, develop him and sell him for a lot of money in the future. 

The 2nd choice is what a switched on football club would do. 

Hirst and Clare wanted more than we offered them. It has seemingly turned out OK for Hirst's bank balance but 3 years on he is currently proving he can't cut it at this level.

Clare is now playing for a team struggling to stay in League One.

Shaw has had about half a dozen good games for the first team, Clare had similar. I hope he stays but if he chooses not to then only time will tell if it is a bad decision.  

2 minutes ago, edinburghowl said:

To be fair Clare was pretty average at Hearts and I don’t see him doing anything outstanding  with his career. Hearts were happy to move him on when the offer came.

I don’t think he would have done much if he had stayed at Hillsborough either. Wednesday didn’t lose out there IMO. 

Perhaps not, the same can be said for Shaw, he has looked good of late, but so did Clare when he broke through.