Boo Boys XI

39 minutes ago, sharrowowl said:

Suppose its hard to quantify. In recent times certainly the likes of Fox, Nuhiu, Bothroyd... Maghoma, helan? There's always some nutter who'll have it in for a perfectly good player but we're talking the sort of player when you've been sat at a game and someone's getting it hurled at them from all sides. 

Bothroyd is the only player in my time watching Wednesday who truly deserved to be booed and reviled. Had no respect or empathy with the fans who ultimately payed his wages. Chose to resort to social media to explicitly emphasise this after his second game. Showed zero effort and commitment in his time here. Others like Fox and Morris who got pelters just happened not to play very well. 

• Like 2

Chris Morris used to get hammered as soon as his name was read out just because he wasn’t Mel Sterland. I can’t remember him being that bad really. Dog poo like Nuhiu and Andy Pearce enjoyed cult status for being dreadful.

25 minutes ago, Therealrealist said:

It didn’t happen it’s a myth..a few moan n groans v Oxford after some misplaced passes...he never ever go5 booed on a regular basis

Agree with @Therealrealist   I didn’t miss a game in ‘91. Sheridan a legend. Some mumbling when he slipped below his own high standards but never a boo boy 

28 minutes ago, fpowl said:

Lance key

Atherton   A. Pearce   Morrison.    Fox 

Harris   Pelupessy     Lunt           Helan

Jeffers  bothroyd

bench

tidman 

martin

lachman

butterfield 

wiggins 

abdi

rhodes 

Fox, Joey, Jeffers, Bothroyd, Butterfield, Abdi for sure. Although Abdi was never around to hear it 

8C08659B-2585-4259-A6F6-1AE1A641587E.jpeg

There were definitely some concerted boos in that Oxford game. Well I heard them around me anyway, at the back of the kop. Incredible really considering he wrote his name into folklore about three weeks later. But like many have said it was a one-off.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Gob_Bluth said:

As a kid I remember Larry May always used to get booed what felt like every time his name was called out by the announcer

Think that might have been the shoddy PA system of the day.  Don’t remember him being booed although he ran like a one legged Roy Rogers over burning coals 🔥 

24 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Remember him costing us a goal once and the next time he touched the ball he was universally boo’d by all three stands. Personally never seen that before where it was such a majority of the crowd booing one of our own players. 

I think after that a lot of fans felt bad and they applauded him when he next got the ball

lol

Wasn’t that when he tried to head the ball back to the keeper, literally from the half way line ?

19 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

His spell at Wednesday was before my time but have heard about this a few times. Seems a strange one as he went on to have a fairly solid career for Celtic & EIRE. 

He was a striker as a “blue former”. Someone, can’t remember who, converted him to right-back. He was shocking but always gave his best. Was made worse because he was picked ahead of Mel “Zico” Sterland for a while after Sterland returned from injury (I believe) 

16 minutes ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

Colin West after he hit the pillar on the  newly built Kop with a penalty and sported a haircut like someone had poured Branston pickle onto a hay stack. 

Colin West scored in my very first Wednesday match! (home against Derby, Christmas 87-88). I don't remember his hair, but Lee Chapman's peroxide feather-cut stood out...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dooogs said:

Did Antonio ever get booed by us? He got sworn at enough by the North Stand if we were playing towards the Lepp...

Think he made two assists for Charlton in first half n got subbed before half time. Never a boo boy though, just a bit erratic. 

31 minutes ago, onlyonedavidhirst said:

Best shouts for me so far are Buxton, Sterland, Morris and Brunt. 4 players who all served us well but had a period of Bering booed. Sheridan was only 2 matches from memory so I won't include him personally but I'll add to the mix Sibon

Seems full back is a regular position for the wrath of the boo Boys. Centre half seems quite forgiving. Had some pretty poor ones but don't seem to get a lot of flack. 

1 hour ago, Therealrealist said:

It didn’t happen it’s a myth..a few moan n groans v Oxford after some misplaced passes...he never ever go5 booed on a regular basis

This is correct,  a fair sized minority at the Oxford game , as you say, moaned, but at the Blackburn game the vast majority were behind him. Wednesday fans idolised him and when he scored twice for Oldham against us the Kop were all singing his name