Boo Boys XI

Ashley Westwood- ex Man Utd and Crewe , good footballer who made a few errors then got stripped of all confidence by the fans.

Steve Haslam- played all over defence and midfield to help the team out, went totally unappreciated 

Buxton and Purse - I'll put them together as both had a nightmare trying to cover for fans favourite Reda Johnson who was an apalling defender. Buxton became one of our best players once he didn't have to that. 

James O'Connor  - never understood the stick he got,  he was a great little player. 

4 hours ago, Bannofan said:

Ashley Westwood- ex Man Utd and Crewe , good footballer who made a few errors then got stripped of all confidence by the fans.

Steve Haslam- played all over defence and midfield to help the team out, went totally unappreciated 

Buxton and Purse - I'll put them together as both had a nightmare trying to cover for fans favourite Reda Johnson who was an apalling defender. Buxton became one of our best players once he didn't have to that. 

James O'Connor  - never understood the stick he got,  he was a great little player. 

Ashley Westwood never played a game for Man Utd and was mostly shocking for us. Doon't blame the fans for how poor he was. Look at who he went on to play for after us - are you saying the fans ruined him?

Darren Purse was a decent defender in his time but way past his best when he came to us, again look where his career tailed off to at the point. 

14 hours ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

He was a striker as a “blue former”. Someone, can’t remember who, converted him to right-back. He was shocking but always gave his best. Was made worse because he was picked ahead of Mel “Zico” Sterland for a while after Sterland returned from injury (I believe) 

Thanks. Surprised he was shocking as he is generally well regarded by Celtic fans from what I have seen and was really good for the Republic in Euro 88 and Italia 90. 

5 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

A lot of players being mentioned I can remember them being criticised but cant remember that many if them actually getting booed apart from a couple.

Maybe the odd groan or person but themselves shouting something but not much of being booed by a sizable number of people.

True. Suppose what I meant was the type of player that got pelters  Very rare someone actually gets booed but you know the type when you're sat at match n it's alot more than one or two giving them grief at the first opportunity. Also the type that would get jeered when their name was announced. 

But the point was getting a team together of players in that group who actually turned it around and were perfectly decent. 

39 minutes ago, sharrowowl said:

True. Suppose what I meant was the type of player that got pelters  Very rare someone actually gets booed but you know the type when you're sat at match n it's alot more than one or two giving them grief at the first opportunity. Also the type that would get jeered when their name was announced. 

But the point was getting a team together of players in that group who actually turned it around and were perfectly decent. 

One person that springs to mind turning it round was Gordon Watson. 

Had a good run of form, signed a new contract then went back to being poor. 

5 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Thanks. Surprised he was shocking as he is generally well regarded by Celtic fans from what I have seen and was really good for the Republic in Euro 88 and Italia 90. 

Didn’t help that he was booed when his name was announced, booed when he warmed up, booed if he came on, booed if he came of. All by large sections of the crowd. His confidence was destroyed at Wednesday. 

9 hours ago, Bannofan said:

Just spat my coffee all over my ipad, never thought I'd see the day that the words Ashley Westwood and good footballer would be used in the same sentence.

I've never been one for booing our own players but the guy had no redeeming attributes and was dismal. His reading of the game and positioning was abysmal, he seemed quite short for a centre back and had the aerial prowess of a hedgehog. He did have a little pace but his tackling was so poor that it rarely helped him out. I suppose playing alongside then replacing the stalwart that was Des Walker was some task. 

11 minutes ago, lambownumber5 said:

Just spat my coffee all over my ipad, never thought I'd see the day that the words Ashley Westwood and good footballer would be used in the same sentence.

I've never been one for booing our own players but the guy had no redeeming attributes and was dismal. His reading of the game and positioning was abysmal, he seemed quite short for a centre back and had the aerial prowess of a hedgehog. He did have a little pace but his tackling was so poor that it rarely helped him out. I suppose playing alongside then replacing the stalwart that was Des Walker was some task. 

Im maybe one of the few that didn’t think Westwood was as bad as he is made out by some on here. 

I reckon I could name half a dozen teams. Sad really, but we do seem to have more than our share of boo boys. It is just the way some people are. I remember watching my Son play for his school team. The number of parents who used to give their young kids stick was incredible.  A guy who used to sit near me was an absolute pain. The abuse he would give any player who made a mistake was unbelievable, yet he would never give any credit one who was having a good game.