Paul Cook “ If you’re not allowed to manage, then you’re an employee and not a manager.”

7 minutes ago, Pieman said:

Has a manager been appointed? No. Is Cook therefore still in the running? Yes.

Sounds like DC is doing some due diligence around a few candidates before making a decision on who he wants to go forward with. Isn’t that a good thing? 

That would be fine.... But everything is pointing to Chansiri so that would mean no matter who is the manager it won't work.... A yes man will do what he says and get sacked when it doesn't work, any other manager either true to do what he wants and doesn't get anywhere, gives up goes with the flow and gets paid till he gets sacked or a manager who pushed back and gets sacked.....

This is our future no matter who it would seem under Mr Chansiri..... That's the point.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wellbeaten-the-owl said:

You would like to think so!

Nixon reckons there were 5 on shortlist, maybe all 5 have had similar talks with the club and club are assessing who is best fit.

Didn't hear the comments so will listen tomorrow on catch up, context is key on these things and can be taken either way when just in print, another way of looking at Cooks comments tonight is he knows he is in running along with others and is still "campaigning" for the job to show chansiri how popular he is with the fans.

Exactamundo 

57 minutes ago, striker said:

We were a big club until Chansiri took over. 

Not sure what you mean by that.

Our profile 2015-17 was as positive and as big as it has been at any time in the last 20 years.

2 minutes ago, ashley8 said:

That would be fine.... But everything is pointing to Chansiri so that would mean no matter who is the manager it won't work.... A yes man will do what he says and get sacked when it doesn't work, any other manager either true to do what he wants and doesn't get anywhere, gives up goes with the flow and gets paid till he gets sacked or a manager who pushed back and gets sacked.....

This is our future no matter who it would seem under Mr Chansiri..... That's the point.

We came the closest to getting promoted in 20 years under him, twice. It nearly worked. After that, it’s been a steep descent ever since and yes, Chansiri must carry the can for that. However, I don’t agree it will never work, given it so nearly did.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, markg said:

Fans quick to rightly blame chansiri as his ways prevent the manager from being able to do his job.

Yet when they inevitably fail, we turn on the manager. Crazy. 

The coach of of academy has managed to go 4 games unbeaten. The club is a mess and the owner has made some poor decisions but Thompson has managed to achieve more than Pulis did in a third of the games in charge with less resources. What is happening behind the scenes isn't helping but our last two managers did a poor job.

1 minute ago, Pieman said:

We came the closest to getting promoted in 20 years under him, twice. It nearly worked. After that, it’s been a steep descent ever since and yes, Chansiri must carry the can for that. However, I don’t agree it will never work, given it so nearly did.

Fine but you accept it's been nothing but decline since then... Could that be that then he accepted he was new to this and possibly did listen to maybe the likes of Carlos and maybe Mandy or others but after we failed he became more and more hands on and is now strangling any success.... Its a theory but makes sense... We to that how defensive he is over criticism and his unfortunate lack of ability to learn from his mistakes and maybe get new or better help.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ashley8 said:

Fine but you accept it's been nothing but decline since then... Could that be that then he accepted he was new to this and possibly did listen to maybe the likes of Carlos and maybe Mandy or others but after we failed he became more and more hands on and is now strangling any success.... Its a theory but makes sense... We to that how defensive he is over criticism and his unfortunate lack of ability to learn from his mistakes and maybe get new or better help.

Maybe, you could be right. He made the point Pulis never contacted him. My view is, if he gets the right coach/manager again, he will listen to them. Carlos was very charismatic and was able to influence Chansiri. Hopefully, our next manager will be the same.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Dot said:

Sounds like sour grapes to me

He's had his mate Biggs begging the club to employ him as manager, the club says no and all of a sudden this crap " If you’re not allowed to manage, then you’re an employee and not a manager."

If you are a manger then you are still an employee in any given scenario

Jose is an employee

Jurgen is an employee

etc

Personally I think coming out with rubbish like that shows a serious managerial flaw, "I'm the boss...you're the staff"....always doomed to fail

dodged a bullet with Cook if thats his attitude

Let’s not suggest that our ‘coach’ would be operating in anything like the structure of those two. 

A coach can thrive where there’s a strategy but in Chansiri and his sidekicks we have none of that. The head coach model can be superb but that’s nothing like what we have here. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Pieman said:

Maybe, you could be right. He made the point Pulis never contacted him. My view is, if he gets the right coach/manager again, he will listen to them. Carlos was very charismatic and was able to influence Chansiri. Hopefully, our next manager will be the same.

Give it up. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, ashley8 said:

I think it’s more the original approach worked when we had money to splash 

No we don’t and it’s exposed the frailties with our set up 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Not saying it is but Paul Cook and Danny Cowley have reservations about managing Sheffield Wednesday.

Let me repeat that.

Paul Cook previously of Accrington and Wigan, Danny Cowley previously of Lincoln City, have reservations about managing Sheffield Wednesday.

Two pretty average managers who have never managed a club the size of ours have reservations of managing the club. 

Worrying.

And yet it’s so widely known in football and both sat down for an interview. I mean it probably says more about them than it does about Chansiri or the club. 

I know in my industry the companies/people with bad reputations and never ever have I thought, I’ll just have a chat/interview with them to see for myself. Maybe the pay compensates the fact that it’s an unworkable job or I’m so good I can change them??

Nah, this is nothing more than sour grapes or saving face. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Philb125 said:

And yet it’s so widely known in football and both sat down for an interview. I mean it probably says more about them than it does about Chansiri or the club. 

I know in my industry the companies/people with bad reputations and never ever have I thought, I’ll just have a chat/interview with them to see for myself. Maybe the pay compensates the fact that it’s an unworkable job or I’m so good I can change them??

Nah, this is nothing more than sour grapes or saving face. 

🤦‍♂️

2 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Paul Cook has spoken tonight on Talksport about the Wednesday job. He has been approached. Talks no longer ongoing.

The quote in the thread title again struck me. Very similar to what Danny Cowley said on Sky Sports before the Derby game. And it also reinforces what Carlton Palmer has said in the press. 

Come on DC why do these managers keep saying the same thing! What is it about the job that’s making them have reservations? 

https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/talks-arent-ongoing-paul-cook-tells-all-discussions-over-sheffield-wednesday-managers-job-3102873

Because he's a tool and a dictater who thinks he knows better about the playing side of the club than the manager /coach he employs. That's why we're in the mess we're in. He's now selling off any assets of value, ground, shares etc. He should be totally concentrating on the commercial side of the club & leave the playing side alone. The word is getting out there what a wazack he is to work for. Please DC sell up and f.. K off. You are destroying our great club. Just sod off. 

The idea of Cook gave me so much hope for the future. I thought he’d really steady the ship and manage us sensibly and logically. I thought we’d get a manager who GOT the club, GOT the fans and would sign proper players.

It makes me sad that we’re probs gonna go with some foreign nobody who’s gonna be here for less than a year with all the charisma of a court summons. 

Im desperate for this club to have a fresh start. A culture change is needed. Proper plans for the future. I don’t care if it’s a 10-15 year plan. I’m happy with slow progress. I’d just love to bare witness to an actual project where things gradually change for the better.

Chansiri truly doesn’t have a clue though. We’re gonna continually go round in circles. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, FlyingOwl said:

The idea of Cook gave me so much hope for the future. I thought he’d really steady the ship and manage us sensibly and logically. I thought we’d get a manager who GOT the club, GOT the fans and would sign proper players.

It makes me sad that we’re probs gonna go with some foreign nobody who’s gonna be here for less than a year with all the charisma of a court summons. 

Im desperate for this club to have a fresh start. A culture change is needed. Proper plans for the future. I don’t care if it’s a 10-15 year plan. I’m happy with slow progress. I’d just love to bare witness to an actual project where things gradually change for the better.

Chansiri truly doesn’t have a clue though. We’re gonna continually go round in circles. 

Maybe it’s my rose tinted glasses or the ever optimism and hope for my beloved Wednesday but I do feel we are changing and that we soon will no longer be paying for the past costly mistakes. 

Getting rid of almost an entire squad of overpaid players is not an easy task. And sure many mistakes have been made but the transfer approach now, seems far more akin to what we should have been doing or were doing prior to the Rhodes, Abdi, Jones, type signings. 

We were very good at signing players below their market value with a point to prove. I think back to Westwood, Lees, Hutch, Bannan, Lee, Fessi, Hooper etc. But something changed after the first near miss and we tried to over pay for the missing piece of the puzzle. Believing we needed players who were already at their peek, who had been there and done it. This was compounded by us doubling or vastly increasing the contracts of the players who had done well for us. 

The last of the overpaid players are now out of contract. I sincerely hope that they are offered reduced terms or they leave as we cannot afford for 4/5 players to have 40% of the playing budget.

Our transfer business on the whole looks better. Some players are clearly stop gaps to tide us over until we are back to under budget. But many look like great investments. Iorfa and Dunkley probably draw less salary combined than Lees. Luongo Harris and Green less than Rhodes. 

Our squad cannot compete, comply with rules  whilst we have been paying for past mistakes. But my hope (and it’s the hope that kills you) is those mistakes are almost paid for and next season the rebuild can finally begin without paying a third / first choice keeper 25k, a 7th choice striker 40k, etc etc. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Ok so what about the comments of Monk, Cowley, Pulis just all bitter managers? Bruce walking out after 6 months?

What about the advisory board of Pearson, Roeder, Hill, Senior and co who left their role soon after they were employed?

CEO Katrien Meire who left after a year? 

Are all the above things which have happened and the comments made just all a coincidence? 

Monk, Cowley and Pulis were/are dogseggs, Bruce left to join his boyhood team in the Premier League.

• Haha 2