Paul Cook “ If you’re not allowed to manage, then you’re an employee and not a manager.”

I actually thought this time we’d make the right appointment when championship status depended on it.

let’s hope the incoming manager is good enough because it could be league one football next season if it’s a Coach with no prior experience here.

It feels like such a gamble at this stage.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Bing Cosby said:

I've said this before, but the most important thing in any new manager is that they understand and accept how the chairman wants the club to operate... Not for one second do I think this is a good thing, I just think it's the truth.

Agreed. They need to be on the same page and it’s not the bread and butter of your average English manager who has been in the lower leagues.

Being a cog in a machine is more normal for continental coaches though. I think Southampton have done it with a recruitment team and idea of what the club wants to do and then the head coach is the day to day man with the team and has his say, but isn’t the big I am manager of old.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Ok so what about the comments of Monk, Cowley, Pulis just all bitter managers? Bruce walking out after 6 months?

What about the advisory board of Pearson, Roeder, Hill, Senior and co who left their role soon after they were employed?

CEO Katrien Meire who left after a year? 

Are all the above things which have happened and the comments made just all a coincidence? 

I get your point but you make it sound like Bruce left to become unemployed. He left for a better job, maybe other reasons played a part but ultimately him going to Newcastle in the Premiership? He was never going to turn that down, Monk or Pulis wouldn’t have turned it down. Cowley hasn’t even been at the club so I’m not sure why he’d even be commenting other than to try and make himself appear relevant. 

Don’t believe a word from Pulis, his track record is very murky which tbh Chansiri should have known before employing him. No sympathy with DC at all for how it turned out because it’s not like it wasn’t well known. 

Monk is probably best placed of any to comment, but the Hutchinson Westwood saga muddys the water with him. 

The senior management list that has come and go you mentioned is a red flag that I accept. And I don’t see how the club moves forward whilst ever there essentially is no senior management except for DC and his advisor 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, peterbottom14 said:

I actually thought this time we’d make the right appointment when championship status depended on it.

let’s hope the incoming manager is good enough because it could be league one football next season if it’s a Coach with no prior experience here.

It feels like such a gamble at this stage.

Yep, cos a wily old manager with tonnes of championship experience was doing a fine job in his 10 games in charge of just that... trying to avoid relegation. 

7 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Not saying it is but Paul Cook and Danny Cowley have reservations about managing Sheffield Wednesday.

Let me repeat that.

Paul Cook previously of Accrington and Wigan, Danny Cowley previously of Lincoln City, have reservations about managing Sheffield Wednesday.

Two pretty average managers who have never managed a club the size of ours have reservations of managing the club. 

Worrying.

Or sensed they weren’t going to get the nod, so try a PR piece getting put out there ?

Be very interested to see where both end up. Cook I reckon may get a gig lower end of champ, but Cowley? Stock fallen.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bluesteel said:

Agreed. They need to be on the same page and it’s not the bread and butter of your average English manager who has been in the lower leagues.

Being a cog in a machine is more normal for continental coaches though. I think Southampton have done it with a recruitment team and idea of what the club wants to do and then the head coach is the day to day man with the team and has his say, but isn’t the big I am manager of old.

I agree.

But Chansiri has never even put the support structure in to enable a "Head Coach" to flourish in such a system.

We briefly had "The Committee" which he very quickly disbanded and decided him and his chain smoking agent mate could do it all by themselves... To add to that he then appointed 2 old school managers in Bruce and Pulis who were never going to be able to not be in control, let alone dictated to by people who frankly aren't qualified to run a bath.

What we have now is the worst of all worlds, and it's an absolute farce.

• Like 5

People are niave if they think DC is the only chairman in world football who likes to dictate what happens at the club 

I don't agree with it but it's his club does what he wants 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Bing Cosby said:

I agree.

But Chansiri has never even put the support structure in to enable a "Head Coach" to flourish in such a system.

We briefly had "The Committee" which he very quickly disbanded and decided him and his chain smoking agent mate could do it all by themselves... To add to that he then appointed 2 old school managers in Bruce and Pulis who were never going to be able to not be in control, let alone dictated to by people who frankly aren't qualified to run a bath.

What we have now is the worst of all worlds, and it's an absolute farce.

A head coach ironically flourishes with a director of football. Something Chansiri has said he doesn’t want.

Not a clue. 

• Like 6

Rightly or wrongly , agree or disagree but the game has moved on from the manager controlling everything transfers signings etc etc 

the shelf life of a manager now is very very short, so this is the reason football clubs try and suit a philosophy and way of playing (where players are signed for the style of play) I’m not saying we have a style or identity- but the manager signs everyone picks the players is so outdated 

it will simply not work with an English manager and chansiri,  these English managers were brought up on building / buying and identifying the players 

Chansiri simply wants a head coach to coach the players infront of him, and for himself and others to do the signings as they see fit 

I don’t see the real harm in it really - it’s worked very well for other teams this method , it’s just with wether dc can put more trust and assemble to right recruitment team

• Like 6

If it really is the case that prospective managers are losing interest in the job  after realising that they would not be allowed to manage ... that they would be  dictated to from above  by a person with less football knowledge than themselves...and will have their opinions and judgement over-ruled by a set of 'dubious experts'   ...then this is simply following the pattern of the last 3 or 4 seasons - all of which have seen a gradual lowering of the overall ablity of the playing staff - an increasingly aging squad...  with very little of quality  coming in to replace them.

If the chairman really is seeking to build a succesful club ...  then he must surely see that the approach he has employed is failing ... Whilst this has been 'unfortunate' in recent seasons ...it will be a considerable problem were we to go down at the end of this season ...making huge inroads into income sources ...and reducing the potential to market the club as a 'going concern'.  Time for a change . In thinking ... in 'modus operandi' ...and in the application of sound business sense.... to name but a few 'necessary changes' .

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Sticky Micky said:

People are niave if they think DC is the only chairman in world football who likes to dictate what happens at the club 

I don't agree with it but it's his club does what he wants 

Yes but his way is lurching from one crisis to the next. That’s the problem. 

He’s doing what he wants but not doing it very well.

Even Vincent Tan at Cardiff who was at Cardiff took a backseat and let a CEO run things. Will DC ever do that? 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Markowski77 said:

Rightly or wrongly , agree or disagree but the game has moved on from the manager controlling everything transfers signings etc etc 

the shelf life of a manager now is very very short, so this is the reason football clubs try and suit a philosophy and way of playing (where players are signed for the style of play) I’m not saying we have a style or identity- but the manager signs everyone picks the players is so outdated 

it will simply not work with an English manager and chansiri,  these English managers were brought up on building / buying and identifying the players 

Chansiri simply wants a head coach to coach the players infront of him, and for himself and others to do the signings as they see fit 

I don’t see the real harm in it really - it’s worked very well for other teams this method , it’s just with wether dc can put more trust and assemble to right recruitment team

It is a successful model but who is making the decisions? Chansiri? A man who didn’t know anything about football by his own admission 5 years ago. 

There is no structure in place for a head coach to thrive that’s the issue. You have Chansiri and his advisers. That’s not a proper structure. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Markowski77 said:

People need to get in the 21st century and realise foreign chairman work in different ways 

Many clubs are successful without directors of football 

It's just finding the right coach 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3