Next manager odds

1 hour ago, Grandad said:

Looks like Paul Cook was telling lies about turning down the contract till the end of the seasonScreenshot_20210129-104358_Twitter.thumb.jpg.68d5015a1aa6060c61f27be02c76cc29.jpg

Perhaps, we did offer Cook six months, but the source from the club that Howson has contacted, has rebuffed that, because they don't want to publicly acknowledge it.

Not sure why Cook would get out of fabricating such a story. Maybe more pertinent, that it was Alonso's leak to The Athletic prior to him cutting ties with the club.

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, brando said:

Totally agree..mind you I expected Pulis to sort it.....

No body can sort it while ever Chansiri and Co are at the helm, they are interfering dictators. This morning Thompson admits he hasn't got a clue what is going on with any potential signings, Monk use to say the same and I think it's why Pulis left because he wanted to choose the players that were brought in. Can't blame Liam Shaw if he leaves this joke of a club. 

1 hour ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Don’t think he’s told any lie. Sounds to me the Athletic got fed one piece of information and Howson another. The cynic in me would say from the different recruitment camps. After all how did The Athletic find out about Alonso in the first place? DC seemed surprised it had got out in the press in the media briefing he gave after Pulis was sacked. 

Where is @thebizzle when we need him? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, September65 said:

I've wanted Cook all through. What he did at Wigan last season was amazing, and we're in the same situation. It feels like a really good match.

He has apparently turned down a contract to the end of the season. Why? Because normally deals are longer? Because the money's not enough? Or because he wants more say and won't work with Chansiri? Probably a combination but the journos seem to think we would come if it were a longer deal.

I actually think the short-term deal can work for everyone. If Cook doesn't keep us up it hardly damages his CV does it? But he has the chance to earn the longer term deal he wants. Money-wise, just offer him a substantial sum if we stay up; it'll cost us millions to go down. 

It strikes me there is a deal to be done here. Let's get it done.

We are in the same situation - a points deduction, struggling in the league and chaos off the pitch

However, Wigan went down so I would not call that 'amazing'  , i would call that 'relegation.'

Think a few are just utterly obsessed now with Paul Cook 

Theres no more of a guarantee of success with him than any other of the names on that list, and if we’re been brutally honest Cooks best credentials are as a league one manager 

2 minutes ago, Royal_D said:

Theres no more of a guarantee of success with him than any other of the names on that list, and if we’re been brutally honest Cooks best credentials are as a league one manager 

Yes maybe he is and imo that is where we will be next season. Get him in now to give him the time to prepare us to challenge in league one next season. 

Edited by WalthamOwl
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, WalthamOwl said:

Yes maybe he is and imo that is where we will be next season. Get him in now to give him the time to prepare us to challenge in league one next season. 

It’s all well and good waving white flags as a fanbase but you can’t honestly expect anyone to try and recruit a manager on them terms surely 

And you know as well as I do that if Cook came in and got us relegated the fan base would want him out,  again ..it’s all well and good waving white flags and pretending it’s game over , but it isn’t

1 minute ago, Royal_D said:

It’s all well and good waving white flags as a fanbase but you can’t honestly expect anyone to try and recruit a manager on them terms surely 

And you know as well as I do that if Cook came in and got us relegated the fan base would want him out,  again ..it’s all well and good waving white flags and pretending it’s game over , but it isn’t

you said yourself in another thread that you can’t see us bringing any players in. Do you think this current squad and manager have enough to keep us up? 

1 minute ago, A12owl said:

And what do you expect us to get? A Champions League winning manager. 

It's time we all realised to what depths Chansiri has dragged our club. 

Nobody will want the job while DC and his mate are running the club. 

UNLESS somebody comes on a contract looking for a payoff after a few months. 

someone wanting a big pay day for a few months work and not really give a crap what happens after that. 

8 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

you said yourself in another thread that you can’t see us bringing any players in. Do you think this current squad and manager have enough to keep us up? 

With a bit of luck yes, it’s far from over , any number of things can happen in football 

It’s tiresome and a bit pathetic that as a fan base were constantly running for the white flags 

6 hours ago, Incognito Owl said:

I can't be àrsed finding the proper thread to post my thoughts in so I'm just putting them in here. I've gone past caring about/who the new head coach/manager is now, I wouldn't care if someone like Coleman got it. Whoever comes in now would have done an magnificent job if we stay up, I'm giving them a free pass. I don't even really care again if we get relegated. I felt this way with everything regarding us around the time when pulis was in charge etc, but was feeling positive about things after his sacking. Over 1 month later and we still haven't got someone and have had the Eric Alonso saga too, all my positive feelings are now gone. Getting relegated would be probably the least of our worries if it happens as well. I don't know how people still get angry and upset with us, I'm way past doing all that. My next and final step is packing us in all together, but I doubt I would do that. I bet all you people who didn't want Ivić etc. would take one of them now haha. Some people might think I'm being defeatist etc. here, but if you haven't already figured I don't give a shìt haha. Maybe I'm just accepting what looks like will happen. Thanks for reading if you did. I hope we all have positive day, especially regarding Wednesday haha. Also if Coleman gets appointed, I'm gonna watch the Sunderland documentary straightaway haha. 

WomanYellingGif.giflatest?cb=20141107053740     

Right there with you...it’s just the addiction of football that’s keeping me coming back. The need to check the football news with my cuppa etc...

it feels so odd how my actual reaction to loses, manager sackings, conceding has just diminished. Hopefully it’ll come back from Chansiri leaves but football in general just leaves a bad taste....but...what else to do on a Saturday afternoon 😞 

• Love 1

47 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

We are in the same situation - a points deduction, struggling in the league and chaos off the pitch

However, Wigan went down so I would not call that 'amazing'  , i would call that 'relegation.'

They were deducted 12 points so it's hardly surprising they were relegated, is it? Without a points deduction they would have finished mid-table. With a six point deduction they would have been safe.

From beating us 2-1 on January 28th last year, they played 18 matches, winning 10 and drawing 6.  And with the likelihood/certainty of a points deduction hanging over them. I think with the squad Cook had and in those circumstances it is very impressive.

Just what we need, in fact.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Royal_D said:

At the present time league 1 seems to be our destination and if that was the case under Cook he'll get to know and who to keep and draw up a list of players to bring in. If people think it will be a breeze in league 1 better wake up ask Sunderland Pompey Ipswich Hull.. We need a plan in place for both scenarios and Paul Cook is a very good option we will regret not taking. 

41 minutes ago, Royal_D said:

With a bit of luck yes, it’s far from over , any number of things can happen in football 

It’s tiresome and a bit pathetic that as a fan base were constantly running for the white flags 

i think it’s very hard to be any other right now when we have no manager, no strikers that will score enough goals to win enough games and Chansiri and Paxo making the decisions. The lack of urgency from the club is frightening when we are 6 points from safety and have a hell of a lot of games coming up within the next month. Players should have been ready to be announced as soon as the window opened to give us the best chance to stay up, we have known all season how short we are up top, it’s not just suddenly happened. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Royal_D said:

No better than Coleman, Keane etc ridiculous statement. 

59 minutes ago, Royal_D said:

We aren't waving a white flag just being realistic about the possibility with Chansiri and the suicide squad at the helm.